Source of leak? (with pics)

namunyoska

Went under my 98 Jeep to grease up the suspension linkages and found a large area on the tub, above the transfer case and transmission, wet with oil. I think it is a red tint, which makes me think it is transfer case or transmission fluid but I see no leaks whatsoever from either where the fill or drain plugs are. I just flushed and added new fluids to both a few months ago.

There is reddish fluid in the cable housing leading up to the transfer case as well and it is definitely red (blurry in pics). Is this actually a leak? It looks fairly new (still sparkly) like oil mixed in mud. Or maybe my RMS leakage, which is a drip at this point, spread there?

—-

On a separate note, the grease fitting boots almost all released the grease from a tiny hole in the middle of the boots after the first two pumps or so. Are those because of excess release holes or unwanted holes in my boots from wear and tear? They are as big as if you stuck a sewing needle in them and so the grease snakes out.

Thanks guys

IMG_9731.JPG

IMG_9732.JPG

IMG_9734.JPG

IMG_9725.JPG

IMG_9729.JPG

You could have over filled or probably just the notorious “Jeep leak” between the T Case and transmission. Pretty cheap to fix. Would recommend washing it and track the leak or going to a transmission shop and let them at it.

Reactions: namunyoska
How did you flush and fill the trans and transfer and not know where the fill and drain plugs are? If that is indeed the case then is is quite possible you added too much fluid somehow. Also, was this area all wet before you changed the fluids? If not then it is likley the problem. Good news is gearboxes are much more forgiving than an automatic transmission so it is unlikely much more than a seal would be damaged. Good catch. A lot of people never go and check up on any maintenance performed, thinking nothing could be needed afterwards.

How did you flush and fill the trans and transfer and not know where the fill and drain plugs are? If that is indeed the case then is is quite possible you added too much fluid somehow. Also, was this area all wet before you changed the fluids? If not then it is likley the problem. Good news is gearboxes are much more forgiving than an automatic transmission so it is unlikely much more than a seal would be damaged. Good catch. A lot of people never go and check up on any maintenance performed, thinking nothing could be needed afterwards.

@Goatman Not sure what you mean by not knowing where the fill and drain plugs were when draining and adding new fluids. To be clear, I did not just add new fluids. I removed drain plugs for both, flushed, reattached, and added new fluid from the fill plugs until it started oozing out. I'm not sure it is even possible to overfill. I did shut the fill plug fairly quickly after it started oozing out but I don't know if that's enough to overfill and create a mess like in the pictures above. Is that enough to damage the seals?? And still not sure I understand how a big splash could have occurred upwards when everything is shut tight and nothing seems to be dripping downwards, at least that I can see. And to your second point, I don't think it was wet before or else I would've noticed when I did the flushes. I did go wheeling in deep water a few times since then though so not sure if that has anything to do with it.

I think my next step is to follow @SaharaBound 's advice and throw some degreaser on there and wash it out and see if it comes back. If not, should be OK?