Spacer for crankshaft position sensor

Lowcountryearl

TJ Enthusiast
On the Rockauto website there is a part number for the crankshaft position sensor spacer but when I look in the parts manual for a 98 Wrangler I don't see one.
Some website say the 98 doesn't need the spacer some do. Anyone with a 97/98 Wrangler change the sensor and did you use a spacer?
Thanks

On the Rockauto website there is a part number for the crankshaft position sensor spacer but when I look in the parts manual for a 98 Wrangler I don't see one.
Some website say the 98 doesn't need the spacer some do. Anyone with a 97/98 Wrangler change the sensor and did you use a spacer?
Thanks
The 97-02 32RH CPS has a cardboard spacer about the thickness of the cardboard on the back of a yellow legal pad glued to the nose. When we have to pull one, we make one from the cardboard and glue it to the nose of the sensor.

Reactions: ColoJeep
Ordered Mopar part 56027865AB
They sent Mopar part 6840 7888 AA-001
Says on their site this is an alternative part number. Don't quite understand why they would send one without a spacer
I guess my big concern is did they send me the right part.

I measured the spacer on the new Mopar sensor I put in a few weeks ago and it was about .035-.040" thick. I have a 32rh transmission.

But your point is taken that you got a new sensor with a spacer on it
Not completely sure, but I dont think the manuals require a spacer. The automatic one has one mounting bolt and is slightly adjustable, hence the spacer. If yours has two mounting bolts then I don't think you need a spacer

Spacer should come on a new sensor. Replacement spacer was for reinstalling a sensor that had been used. Spacer most likely would get knocked off after starting the engine. Having no spacer when installing the sensor runs a risk of wearing away the tip of the sensor. Auto or manual doesn’t matter.