Spangled and ready to wrangle

Hughesy

Got ahead of myself posting in the build threads and forgot to introduce myself!

British lad but living in Australia, where I’ve managed to get hold of a 2005 wrangler for naff all money, with a strong engine and plenty to fix/upgrade.

Tried this before with a mk1 golf (rabbit), and a 76 Honda CB450 - both times I made the mistake of buying someone else project.

The difference this time is that the wrangler runs! Absolutely in love with it already (haven’t decided on a name yet) and in two days have learnt so much that I can’t wait to implement.

Feel free to follow along and give me encouragement or scorn on my build thread where I take it from forlorn to f*ckin sick, and hopefully don’t get stuck and call it quits like last time!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hughesys-05-renegade.41630/

3174FFF3-5E6B-4EE8-80C4-0FB11FB72A11.jpeg

Welcome and since your summer is just getting started there, this should be interesting.
Yeah exactly, although I’m far enough north that it’s pretty much eternal summer here. Only gets as low as +15 celcius on the coldest winter days up here. I need to get a new roof on before the summer rains hit, it’s La Niña this year according to the BOM, usually means it’s going to be a really wet one 😖

Reactions: Tomcat
Welcome! I have those same Hurricane fender flares.
Thanks man! Yeah they need a respect I think. Looks like they just come off with the bolts? I’m slightly worried about back seat passengers leaning on them as they get out (I did the first time I hopped out of the back haha), have yours ever broken?

Reactions: ejay
Thanks man! Yeah they need a respect I think. Looks like they just come off with the bolts? I’m slightly worried about back seat passengers leaning on them as they get out (I did the first time I hopped out of the back haha), have yours ever broken?
Respray* one of many autocorrects to come I imagine 🙄

Mine have never broken. The double bolts are fake. They attach via hidden bolts on the underside. I've kept the hardtop on since I installed them. I lean on them a bit on the front when wrenching in the engine bay. I have the same fear; that I'll break them.

Mine have never broken. The double bolts are fake. They attach via hidden bolts on the underside. I've kept the hardtop on since I installed them. I lean on them a bit on the front when wrenching in the engine bay. I have the same fear; that I'll break them.
Maaaate you just saved me trying to unscrew all those bolts only to find that out myself! This forum is the goods! Thanks heaps man. Yeah that’s the plan, some bumper coat. Glad to know it’s worked well:)

Maaaate you just saved me trying to unscrew all those bolts only to find that out myself! This forum is the goods! Thanks heaps man. Yeah that’s the plan, some bumper coat. Glad to know it’s worked well:)
Yeah, pretty simple. A few cans and Bob's your uncle....as they say.

Reactions: Modoc Guy
Welcome to the forum! Quite a few Aussies on here with TJs, you guys sure love those things.

It looks great by the way!

Welcome to the forum! Quite a few Aussies on here with TJs, you guys sure love those things.

It looks great by the way!
Thanks for having me. And yeah I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled. Seen a bloke over in Perth, but no one from Brissy yet. There’s been heaps of TJ’s come and go on Facebook marketplace here, and a couple on the carsales website, but I can’t recall ever seeing one in the metal? I think a lot of them are on the coast; that’s where I picked mine up. Hopefully I’ll run into some pals at some point either on here or IRL.

Reactions: Chris
Thanks for having me. And yeah I’ve been keeping my eyes peeled. Seen a bloke over in Perth, but no one from Brissy yet. There’s been heaps of TJ’s come and go on Facebook marketplace here, and a couple on the carsales website, but I can’t recall ever seeing one in the metal? I think a lot of them are on the coast; that’s where I picked mine up. Hopefully I’ll run into some pals at some point either on here or IRL.

I know @Daz7 and @Wombat are some of the many on here from down under.

I thought jeeps were shunned for Toyotas down there. is it pretty difficult to get parts? You're gonna need to get yourself an angle grinder and a welder if you don't got them already.

I thought jeeps were shunned for Toyotas down there. is it pretty difficult to get parts? You're gonna need to get yourself an angle grinder and a welder if you don't got them already.
Correct there’s a bit of snobbery against them for sure. People pay an absolute fortune for landcruisers in even the worst condition. It’s as if they’re seen as an Aussie icon of some sort. Those and Pajeros.
Yeah hard to get parts, always on the lookout for one being wrecked. If I had more space at home I’d probably buy a decent donor. A lot of parts come off eBay and will be shipped. That’s the tax you pay for living in paradise though haha. Yeah I don’t own any tools yet so that’s first up once I work out where I want to start with this enormous list of issues 😅

Got ahead of myself posting in the build threads and forgot to introduce myself!

British lad but living in Australia, where I’ve managed to get hold of a 2005 wrangler for naff all money, with a strong engine and plenty to fix/upgrade.

Tried this before with a mk1 golf (rabbit), and a 76 Honda CB450 - both times I made the mistake of buying someone else project.

The difference this time is that the wrangler runs! Absolutely in love with it already (haven’t decided on a name yet) and in two days have learnt so much that I can’t wait to implement.

Feel free to follow along and give me encouragement or scorn on my build thread where I take it from forlorn to f*ckin sick, and hopefully don’t get stuck and call it quits like last time!

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/hughesys-05-renegade.41630/

View attachment 195473
Welcome! Looks great!

Correct there’s a bit of snobbery against them for sure. People pay an absolute fortune for landcruisers in even the worst condition. It’s as if they’re seen as an Aussie icon of some sort. Those and Pajeros.
Yeah hard to get parts, always on the lookout for one being wrecked. If I had more space at home I’d probably buy a decent donor. A lot of parts come off eBay and will be shipped. That’s the tax you pay for living in paradise though haha. Yeah I don’t own any tools yet so that’s first up once I work out where I want to start with this enormous list of issues 😅
Small price for paradise I guess hahah! For some reason overlanders always seem snobby. Rip that roof rack off build it as a go fast + rock crawler (midarm plus 12" fox res) and bring some Fosters and a hammock put all the yotas in their place which is at the back of the line with their winch controllers in their hands.

• Haha
Reactions: TJ Starting

Parts are as easy as ordering off Rockauto and waiting for a week. I hardly ever buy spare parts from a local retailer, however always check the local Jeep shops if buying upgrades, generally if they have stock it's cheaper that importing yourself.

Welcome! I have the same flares and sadly can report several cracks from the previous owner! I spray them every once in a while to shine up, but they are in the replacement list! Good looking rig!