Spare Tire Advice

Equilibrium31

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I just upgraded my tires to 31s, but the spare is now just a bit too large to fit since it's now hitting my bumper, even though the brake light still clears over the top. I've considered a few options, but wanted to see if there was anything better that I hadn't considered:

1) I could get a tire relocation bracket to hold the spare up higher by about an inch and then add some spacers under the tail light. This would raise the tire to clear the bumper and also raise the brake light along with it to clear.

2) I could get a tire relocation bracket and just replace the brake light over the tire with a brake light that sits in the middle of the tire, but I'm not a big fan of that look.

3) I could get a new rear bumper that leave space for a spare to sit lower (something like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IS92ZJO/?tag=wranglerorg-20), but I'm not a fan of this option since it's a more expensive option and would replace a relatively new rear bumper.

4) I could replace the rear bumper with a spare tire carrier, but this would by far be the most expensive option and would likely require some other solution for the brake light.

Ideally, I'd like to handle this as inexpensively as possible, but I still want the tire secure so that it doesn't cause damage or issues when going offroad. Options 1 and 2 seem to be the best bet for this, but may also require modification or replacement to those bump stops, I'm guessing.

I have the bumper you listed in option 3. Liked it so much I got the same bumper with tire carrier after I saw what the tailgate mounted carrier was doing to the tailgate. If you were closer to FL I would offer my bumper for sale but shipping would be crazy. What about a spacer to move it away from the bumper? Would require extending the rubber snubbers to keep the tire from bouncing around. My bolts that held the third brake light tower to the tailgate mounted carrier were very long and allowed for 1 inch spacers to clear the tire while I was using that option.

Well, shit. Turns out the solution was much simpler than I thought. The guy at the tire store just said it was too big and I only messed with it a little bit initially, but after I messed with it a bit more and aired the tire down a little, it fit. It's still snuggly against my lower bumper, but at least I don't need a lot. However, I will have to extend the bump stops since the backspacing of these wheels is a bit different and the tire isn't flush against them. Until I get my lift, I'm not going off-road anyways since there's not a lot of clearance. Still, I'm happy with how they look for now.
535BB21B-35BB-4A8D-AA2F-DBEFB0F90752.jpeg

6EA25063-677D-498E-9F92-ED66C9C85224.jpeg

Oh I see the difference, you have an aftermarket bumper which isn't necessarily a bad thing but it looks like it mounts higher than stock.
Yea, I still have my stock bumper and thought about swapping that back in before I worked it in. If I had a body lift,t he clearance would be better too.

That is a nice looking bumper
Thanks. I got it because it added some recovery points and fit the budget, but I wouldn't wholeheartedly recommend it to others since it has a really cheap coat of paint over it and started rusting at the slightest touch of moisture. Still, with a bit of extra work and protective coats, it's worked out alright.

Well, shit. Turns out the solution was much simpler than I thought. The guy at the tire store just said it was too big and I only messed with it a little bit initially, but after I messed with it a bit more and aired the tire down a little, it fit. It's still snuggly against my lower bumper, but at least I don't need a lot. However, I will have to extend the bump stops since the backspacing of these wheels is a bit different and the tire isn't flush against them. Until I get my lift, I'm not going off-road anyways since there's not a lot of clearance. Still, I'm happy with how they look for now.
View attachment 94407

View attachment 94408
Quick question. I have a stock 99 tj sport with 17 inch wheels on it. Im thinking of putting 245/75/17 tires on it but was currious how much they might rub. I dont plan on doing a lot of off roading with it just yet but the 31s lookngood on your jeep and woukd be essentially the same size. Do you rub alot with your set up

Quick question. I have a stock 99 tj sport with 17 inch wheels on it. Im thinking of putting 245/75/17 tires on it but was currious how much they might rub. I dont plan on doing a lot of off roading with it just yet but the 31s lookngood on your jeep and woukd be essentially the same size. Do you rub alot with your set up
Do you have any lift? Any wheel spacers or hub adapters? Do you know the backspace and width of your current rims?

Do you have any lift? Any wheel spacers or hub adapters? Do you know the backspace and width of your current rims?
I bought the jeep used the tires that are on it now are 235/60/17 they were bought so the original spare 30x9.50x15 could be used. There isnt a lift im nkt sure about wheel spacers but i can say it sits basically like it would with the stock 30x9.50x15

The largest tire that effectively fits with no lift and appropriate backspacing is a 31” tire.
To fit the 245/75R17 you will probably want a 1-2” lift. 1.5” coil spring spacers would do the trick and cost you only $200 or less.

You will also need to know the backspacing on the wheels. Backspacing is the distance from the inner rim to the face where the wheel mounts. Google the term for some better explanations and good pictures/video.

If they are wheels off of a newer Jeep (2007 or later) which a lot of 17” wheels are, you will need a wheel adapter, which is simply a wheel spacer with different wheel bolt patterns.

The total of the backspacing plus whatever spacer or adapter you have should be 5” or less, ideally 4.5”. The smaller the total, the more the wheel will stick out from under the Jeep. Do not exceed 3.5” total.

A TJ Rubicon comes stick with 245/75R16 wheels, no lift, and 16x8 wheels with 5” of backspacing. That is about the largest tire you can fit with no lift

Ok thank you so much for the help. The wheels on the jeep are aftermarket wheels im just looking to put the 245/75/17 on these wheels . Ill attach a picture

View attachment 97634
Looks great!
Yeah I would recommend a small lift to accompany those tires. Those look like high backspacing wheels, so you might need a 1.25" spacer, or if you prefer to keep them tucked under the fender, add a washer or two to each steering stop, which will reduce the angle that the wheels can turn slightly.

If you don't want to lift, 245/70R17 is the same outer diameter and width as 245/75R16 (Stock Rubicon tires) and should fit with no lift.

Check out tiresize.com and use the charts and converter to explore various different sizes.

Be sure to check the local laws. Some states, such as PA, will not allow the tire tread to stick out past the fender flare

Looks great!
Yeah I would recommend a small lift to accompany those tires. Those look like high backspacing wheels, so you might need a 1.25" spacer, or if you prefer to keep them tucked under the fender, add a washer or two to each steering stop, which will reduce the angle that the wheels can turn slightly.

If you don't want to lift, 245/70R17 is the same outer diameter and width as 245/75R16 (Stock Rubicon tires) and should fit with no lift.

Check out tiresize.com and use the charts and converter to explore various different sizes.

Be sure to check the local laws. Some states, such as PA, will not allow the tire tread to stick out past the fender flare
Thank you, your information and advice will help me a lot, ive been researching and trying to make a decision for about two weeks and this by far has been the most help i have gotten. Thank you again

Reactions: Steel City 06
Thank you, your information and advice will help me a lot, ive been researching and trying to make a decision for about two weeks and this by far has been the most help i have gotten. Thank you again
Feel free to start a new thread and get some additional advice. There's a lot of experience and knowledge in this forum.
Maybe even start a build thread

Reactions: Steveo75