1. Want to have your TJ featured as the December 2017 "Ride of the Month"? Click here to submit a photo of your TJ. Submissions are accepted until November 20th!
    Dismiss Notice

Spare Tire Carrier

Discussion in 'TJ Wheels & Tires' started by JMT, Nov 14, 2017 at 5:41 AM.

1. JMT

JMT TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

Will the stock carrier support a 31x10.5?

Is the Exogate the original heavy duty spare carrier? I also noticed Tactik and Teraflex make one. I want to buy from the original developer.

2. glwood

glwood TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

I have a 32" tire on my stock carrier, so I would say a 31" would not be an issue.

I wouldn't characterize the Exogate as the 'originator' of a heavy-duty tire carrier, but their idea is certainly unique. The other versions will work, just mount and work somewhat differently. I plan to go with an Exogate, hopefully when funds free up next spring. I really like how it mounts, replaces the hinges, and ties into the sport bar.

JMT likes this.
  3. CodaMan

CodaMan TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

I had a 32X11.50 (C) on my last TJ's stock carrier for years with no ill affects.

JMT likes this.
  4. Rob5589

Rob5589 I'm a dude playin a dude disguised as another dude
    Supporting Member

Mine seems solid. Just make sure the tire fits snug against the rubber bumpers.

CodaMan and JMT like this.
  5. ac_

ac_ TJ Enthusiast
    Supporting Member

I was running a 31x10.5 on a 10 inch rim for a while. It didn't have any issues.

6. JamesAndTheSahara

JamesAndTheSahara TJ Enthusiast

The original developer was Morryde. Morryde can be directly purchased through Extreme Terrain and a couple other vendors. Gr8tops partnered with them to develop the product, so its not a rip off.

To answer your question will a stock carrier support a 31x10.5 tire? Yes easily. You just need to ensure the snubbers are extended and properly hugging the tire. I have a 33x10.5x15 tire on my TJ with the snubbers extended and it holds up great. The mark for moving away from the stock carrier is usually at 35".

I anticipate getting this product right before I move up a tire size, if that ever happens :D.

ac_ and JMT like this.
  7. JMT

JMT TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

Thank you. All the info I was looking for!

JamesAndTheSahara likes this.
  8. glwood

glwood TJ Addict
    Supporting Member

The rubber tire bumpers only need to be extended if you go to a thinner tire i.e. 10.5 vs. 12.5 on the same wheel, or if you change to a different wheel with less backspacing. I had to space my wheel a bit further out from the tailgate when I went with a bit wider tire on the stock wheel, in order to get the spacing right without trimming the snubbers. Only a couple of washers on the bottom wheel stud, though.

JMT likes this.