Spare Tire Issue. Help.

jeepXcore

TJ Enthusiast
So when I bought my TJ, it came with Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler 33X12.50r15lt's on what appear to be 15' Mickey Thompson wheels:
IMG_1025_zpstax9rebl.jpg

However, the guy that owned it before me apparently couldn't afford to/didn't bother to buy a matching spare and left what appears to be the stock spare on there, which, correct me if I'm wrong, will be useless if I ever get a flat if I'm running the Duratracs:
IMG_1026_zpslrrnazt5.jpg

I don't know jack about wheel dimensions vs tire sizes, and I am at a complete loss as to how to go about finding a spare that is useable. If anyone could chime in, that would be great. I don't even care if it's a steelie paired with the correct tire size, as long as it's actually useable.

Also, will I need to modify the spare tire carrier to fit a larger tire? If so, what are my options? Cheapest and most simplistic are preferred.

So when I bought my TJ, it came with Goodyear Duratrac Wrangler 33X12.50r15lt's on what appear to be 15' Mickey Thompson wheels:
View attachment 11361

However, the guy that owned it before me apparently couldn't afford to/didn't bother to buy a matching spare and left what appears to be the stock spare on there, which, correct me if I'm wrong, will be useless if I ever get a flat if I'm running the Duratracs:View attachment 11362

I don't know jack about wheel dimensions vs tire sizes, and I am at a complete loss as to how to go about finding a spare that is useable. If anyone could chime in, that would be great. I don't even care if it's a steelie paired with the correct tire size, as long as it's actually useable.

Also, will I need to modify the spare tire carrier to fit a larger tire? If so, what are my options? Cheapest and most simplistic are preferred.
You want to run a 33 as a spare. Tire width isn't really a problem when it is only a spare but tire height does.

Gotcha. Like I said, it doesn't have to be an identical tire. Just something I can actually use in the event of a flat.
Go to a local tire shop and see if they have a used 33. You can pick them up cheap and as long as it has some tread and hold air you are good for a spare.

Yep, just look for a 33" spare tire. It doesn't have to match (though it always looks cool if it does), as long as it's a 33" tire it will be useable in the event that you ever need to use it!

You can still use that mismatched spare. It can't be used in the rear only if the rear has a limited slip differential. If you do get a flat in the rear and the axle has a LSD, you can move a front tire to the rear and run the spare in the front axle where its smaller diameter won't be a problem at all.

You can still use that mismatched spare. It can't be used in the rear only if the rear has a limited slip differential. If you do get a flat in the rear and the axle has a LSD, you can move a front tire to the rear and run the spare in the front axle where its smaller diameter won't be a problem at all.
Jerry mentioned this before. I slapped my forehead and went Duh-oh!

Reactions: Chris