Spare Tire Jack

PatMc

TJ Enthusiast
I generally hate hi-lifts but always carried one with me since they seemed useful for something, and none of my rigs were acquired with any of the factory jacks. I see that many here just use the OE spare jack, which on my new-to-me TJ, is of course...missing. I was on the fence about getting a different jack until I was using my hi-lift today for something (not automotive related) and the whole mess about fell over. I'm done with 'em.

I started shopping scissor jacks, since they seem more available than mechanical bottle jacks (I don't like hydraulic jacks that get used very infrequently) and it seems most are good for about 15" of height at total extension. While that might be OK in some circumstances, or used with some blocking...I would really like more. Then I remembered the leveling jacks on my travel trailer and looked some up at a trailer supply house.

https://www.etrailer.com/Camper-Jack/etrailer/TJSC-24.html

almost 24" total height at full lift, and at 2500lb capacity it's more than enough for the corner of any TJ. Its got a fairly versatile "top plate" on it so that one can make a few adapters for more positive engagement on different jack points, and the hex is a 19mm/3/4, which is the same size as most TJ lug nuts...so you can use a battery impact instead of the stick that usually comes with these. Looks like a winner

Reactions: WesRJ86 and Chris
I would have just bought a used factory OE jack that was made for the TJ on eBay. There are always used factory jacks made for the TJ being sold inexpensively on eBay. The factory jack is more than up to changing 35" tires and even 37" tires in a pinch.

This is my TJ's factory jack holding my 35" tire nearly 4" off the ground.

35OnOEjack.jpg

Hey guys, glad I found this thread. Was about to post a new one.

I have the original factory jack (was missing the lug wrench and extensions but got a compatible set). Wanted to check everything out to make sure would work with the 32in tires. Lubricated with WD-40 and checked it out on the bench and it only extends the height of the narrow shaft. I thought that was the full extension so I jacked the jeep with it to see if it would get the tire off the ground. Didn't reach the axle so I added blocking and it worked the outer sleeve engaged but still stopped at the same height. Any suggestions on how to fix that. Seems pretty tight at the stop point, I didn't want to force it too much.

20200421_182927.jpg

Hey guys, glad I found this thread. Was about to post a new one.

I have the original factory jack (was missing the lug wrench and extensions but got a compatible set). Wanted to check everything out to make sure would work with the 32in tires. Lubricated with WD-40 and checked it out on the bench and it only extends the height of the narrow shaft. I thought that was the full extension so I jacked the jeep with it to see if it would get the tire off the ground. Didn't reach the axle so I added blocking and it worked the outer sleeve engaged but still stopped at the same height. Any suggestions on how to fix that. Seems pretty tight at the stop point, I didn't want to force it too much.

View attachment 154766

Soak it in motor oil and let it rip with an impact wrench :LOL:

I'm only being half serious...

I'm guessing you have some crud build up on the teeth. Using some kind of agent to soften it up is would be a good start (PB blaster maybe).

I ground down the tip of a long 3/8" extension so that I can use it with a regular ratchet or impact gun to raise and lower the bottle jack. It works pretty good, but maybe not as good as the factory tools. They work pretty good to raise and lower the bottle when you slot them together like they're meant to be used.