Spare Tire Orientation

RINC

E pluribus unum = Out of many, one
Supporting Member
A Sunny Place For Shady People. Laveen, AZ
Put my spare back on the tailgate. Should the tyre shade to one side or the other? The snubbers are not lining up. The tyre is centered with the tailgate and the receiver on the bumper. Really never paid attention when I was putting the old 31" tyre on.

It's on the MORryde tailgate using the standoffs they provide. Stock carrier.
tailgate013.jpg

tailgate012.jpg

tailgate011.jpg

The morryde offset plates allow you to center the tire. Your tire is centered from that but it's not centered from the factory. So the snubbers are offset to the hinge/passenger side. You'd have to unbolt the offset plates and put them back in the leftmost bolt holes on the gate to align it to the snubbers.

Or make your own snubber extension to accommodate it.

Put my spare back on the tailgate. Should the tyre shade to one side or the other? The snubbers are not lining up. The tyre is centered with the tailgate and the receiver on the bumper. Really never paid attention when I was putting the old 31" tyre on.

It's on the MORryde tailgate using the standoffs they provide. Stock carrier.
View attachment 324101
View attachment 324102
View attachment 324103
Yes the tire sits over to the passenger side, it is more noticeable with a larger tire. I just did mine and messed with it to get the bumpers right. I ended up cutting the mounting lip off the top of the factory carrier and welding flat bar below the top edge then I added a piece of flat bar to the bottom mount and mounted it right to the Morridye tailgate reinforcement. I was able to install the factory bumpers ( I had 2 different sizes) now the tire sits right up against the gate and contacts the bumpers.View attachment 324140
C7A52651-4DCE-491F-86D9-77A3F4A129CE.jpeg
055F7B1F-3BD1-47F4-9890-973D7CAA5661.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and RINC
10-fo y'all. Thank You. Offset it will be.

I'll adjust the mounts before I take anymore extra rubber off the snubbers. I still have the FUBAR'd Canyon rim to put up there. Get it centered by the snubbers. Throw the tyre up there to see if I need more room.

And yes, I can only get one finger to open the tailgate and barely get the key in to lock it. More room will be nice.

Can the extension brackets be flipped so they shift the carrier toward the hinges?

I had the Morryde on my previous TJ but I didn't use the extensions so I don't know if that would work or not.

Can the extension brackets be flipped so they shift the carrier toward the hinges?

I had the Morryde on my previous TJ but I didn't use the extensions so I don't know if that would work or not.

I think it's got more bolt holes to shift it towards the hinges. The knowledge I lacked was, it was shifted towards the hinges from the factory. I'll get out in a bit to see what I can do.

I think it's got more bolt holes to shift it towards the hinges. The knowledge I lacked was, it was shifted towards the hinges from the factory. I'll get out in a bit to see what I can do.
If you'd been reading all the threads the last few days you would have known about the shift! 😉

Just picking on you, but it did come up in my build thread. It was something new to me.

• USA Proud
Reactions: RINC
mine is shifted passenger as far as it will go. The passenger snubber doesn't line up well but a 35" tire on a 5.25" backspace wheel is so tight to the gate that the hinge acts as a snubber.

PXL_20220420_201249905.jpg

• USA Proud
Reactions: NskLJ and RINC
Hey nOob ! Yeah?! Your Eyecromitor was off ! D'oh !

Well did not notice that the mount was off from the snubbers. Noticed it when I took the tyre off. Moved the whole shabang over one hole.
tailgate014.jpg

tailgate015.jpg

Centered now.
tailgate016.jpg

tailgate017.jpg

Success ! Now can get two fingers on the latch to open it and the key is easy to lock it.

tailgate018_LI.jpg

Don't ever look at the notch in the bottom of the tub flange that shows up when we do a body lift. It's not centered on the spare OR the frame/tub, as is now quite obvious on mine now that I have a hitch receiver centered in my bumper.

Reactions: Claybirdd and RINC