Spark plugs going out fast

OzzyMikes

Got some misfire code, replaced the spark plugs, Jeep ran great for a few days. Then I made a good 200 mile trip, half way through code comes back, get home and it's running super shaky again. What would cause the plugs to go out so fast? I thought the engine could possibly be overheating since I had made such a long trip and it had happened before after I made the exact same trip. It normally runs fine when I'm just driving to work and other not super far. But what would be a good way to diagnose what exactly is failing in the cooling system rather than just randomly replacing stuff? Thanks

Got some misfire code, replaced the spark plugs, Jeep ran great for a few days. Then I made a good 200 mile trip, half way through code comes back, get home and it's running super shaky again. What would cause the plugs to go out so fast? I thought the engine could possibly be overheating since I had made such a long trip and it had happened before after I made the exact same trip. It normally runs fine when I'm just driving to work and other not super far. But what would be a good way to diagnose what exactly is failing in the cooling system rather than just randomly replacing stuff? Thanks
What model year TJ, which engine, and exactly what brand and model # spark plugs are you installing?

Welcome to the forum. Fill out your Jeep profile and get some Autolite iridium XP-985 plugs and never change them again.
I wouldn't run a free set of those fucking plugs. In fact, I won't even install them if you bring them to me and have handed them back to owners many times to tell them to install them on their own because I won't be a party to that bullshit.

Reactions: driftless
I wouldn't run a free set of those fucking plugs. In fact, I won't even install them if you bring them to me and have handed them back to owners many times to tell them to install them on their own because I won't be a party to that bullshit.
I'm curious what your suggestion is. OEM coppers? Platinums (double or single, year dependent)?

I've run the XP985s for years with no issues, but wondering what your issue with them is?

I'm curious what your suggestion is. OEM coppers? Platinums (double or single, year dependent)?

I've run the XP985s for years with no issues, but wondering what your issue with them is?
I only run the OEM plugs, ever. I've had far too many issues with non OEM in any iteration. In fact, I've had full sets platinum-what-the fuck-evers with sub 100 miles on them I've offered up for the price of shipping that finally went in the trash because no one would take them.

Reactions: machoheadgames
I only run the OEM plugs, ever. I've had far too many issues with non OEM in any iteration. In fact, I've had full sets platinum-what-the fuck-evers with sub 100 miles on them I've offered up for the price of shipping that finally went in the trash because no one would take them.
I have not had that experience but you are on a much larger scale of rigs worked on than I am. Good to know.

Plugs are easy to change and I like the idea of having an idea every 30-40k miles to see what's going on inside the engine. Are they oil coated, one burnt more than the others etc...

Autolite platinum or double platinum, depending on the year model of the Jeep, have always served me well. I’ve ran them for a long time with zero issues.

Autolite platinum or double platinum, depending on the year model of the Jeep, have always served me well. I’ve ran them for a long time with zero issues.
Same here, you just have to insure it's the right model of platinum plug as you would for non-platinum plugs.