I installed a Spartan on my Dana 30 awhile ago and had no issues other than characteristics of the locker that appear common. That being said I decided to lock the rear on the Dana 44 since it is not my daily driver. When I do drive it the mechanism acts as I had expected except for one thing: When I change gears especially from first to second and slightly from second to third near or above 2k rpm the transmission grinds a bit as though you would expect from a clutch not being disengaged completely or a sloppy shift. This is very noticeable when turning and shifting which I accounted as driveline tension from the locker and stopped shifting in turns from lights or stop signs and such. However it does still do so to a certain extent if the engine is not spooled down to 1500 rpm or below when shifting from first to second. Any thoughts on this problem if it is indeed one? I have less than 500 miles on the install, used a standard 80w90 oil, and although the installed gap was near its upper limit, it was within the spec provided by Spartan. It operates normally under all conditions, the transmission shift quality change was the only problem I have noticed.

Secondly because I see it posted frequently, do not use a spartan in the rear if you are driving often on roads normally. The driving isn't so much the issue as it is navigating parking lots or other tight quarters (I drove it a day or two after the install to see what kind of behavior I would expect when driving from one trail to another). The locker causes you to drive somewhat erratically in comparison to other drivers and I am sure it is very irritating to them. I know it would be to me if I was behind myself.

Thanks!

Drive it and slow down on the shifts to see if it changes. I only have a spartan up front my rear end is a detroit and if I try to bang gears like i did with an open diff mine does it too but I did gears at the same time. Slowing down and shifting smooth is the only way without my tranny growling at me.

Drive it and slow down on the shifts to see if it changes. I only have a spartan up front my rear end is a detroit and if I try to bang gears like i did with an open diff mine does it too but I did gears at the same time. Slowing down and shifting smooth is the only way without my tranny growling at me.
I did slow and under 2k RPM it is much less noticeable. Is that perhaps a backlash issue changing gearing on yours? It occurred to me that if my lash was not quite correct this exacerbated the issue.

I had a Detroit in the rear of my TJ and when my GF tried to drive it she would grind the gears also. I don't know why having a locker in the rear makes this happen but it seems to. I could drive and not scratch a gear on any shift but every time she tried she'd grind just a little. I agree with Shwiftypickle that you need to slow your shifts down some. Or try double clutching it?

I had a Detroit in the rear of my TJ and when my GF tried to drive it she would grind the gears also. I don't know why having a locker in the rear makes this happen but it seems to. I could drive and not scratch a gear on any shift but every time she tried she'd grind just a little. I agree with Shwiftypickle that you need to slow your shifts down some. Or try double clutching it?
Easy enough. If this appears to be normal operation I won't give it more thought. I'm just not used to locked all the time behavior I suppose. Thanks everyone.

Reactions: Wildman