Spartan locker makes violent banging noise after sharp turn or hard acceleration

I had one in the front of my old XJ and on left turns it would sound like it exploded.
I have one in front of my TJ and it has never done it, but I have a constant knock in the front end that has been driving me nuts. I bought a new spring kit for it but I don"t think it will fix it. Not even sure if its the locker, I believe they are supposed to only ratchet on turns not constantly.
I have All new U-joints and no play in the hub bearings.

Reactions: guitardave
@guitardave the reason a lunchbox locker in the rear is a bad idea for street use is its automatic locking trait. It locks up whenever there's torque applied to it. In the front that means it only locks up after you shift into 4Hi or 4Lo. But in the rear it's locked 100% of the time due to rear axle receiving torque 100% of the time. The best you can do when trying to turn is to send as little torque through it as possible which means neutral throttle... not speeding up nor using compression braking through a turn. Similar to how to make a Detroit Locker in the rear not give similar problems through turns. The locker will be able to unlock through turns only with neutral throttle.

@guitardave the reason a lunchbox locker in the rear is a bad idea for street use is its automatic locking trait. It locks up whenever there's torque applied to it. In the front that means it only locks up after you shift into 4Hi or 4Lo. But in the rear it's locked 100% of the time due to rear axle receiving torque 100% of the time. The best you can do when trying to turn is to send as little torque through it as possible which means neutral throttle... not speeding up nor using compression braking through a turn. Similar to how to make a Detroit Locker in the rear not give similar problems through turns. The locker will be able to unlock through turns only with neutral throttle.

Agree. Most of the bang is on hard acceleration. The sharpest turns just ratchet.

I had one in the front of my old XJ and on left turns it would sound like it exploded.
I have one in front of my TJ and it has never done it, but I have a constant knock in the front end that has been driving me nuts. I bought a new spring kit for it but I don"t think it will fix it. Not even sure if its the locker, I believe they are supposed to only ratchet on turns not constantly.
I have All new U-joints and no play in the hub bearings.

Hey buddy. I experienced a annoying knock in my rear relative to wheel speed. Drove me NUTS. I blamed the elocker after replacing axles which didn't help. Then I decided to do this. Replace the carrier with an open diff and add the lunchbox locker. Also, we changed EVERY bearing and seal in the rearend. The annoying knock is gone !! Now it's just the violent locker bang but it's not as annoying as the original clunk clunk clung. My new answer (for myself) ride it till she breaks lol

Reactions: DougyintheBushies
What was upgraded in the Dana 35? If it was upgraded to 30 spline 1541H axle shafts you're good to go with a rear locker and up to 35" tires. If it still has the factory size 27 spline axle shafts it's time to be careful. This is what happened to friend's stock Dana 35 axle shaft. She's smiling here only because we had just finished installing her replacement axle shaft.

View attachment 397175

The shop, who probably just lied said they were upgraded 27 spline and I tossed the receipt with the info. It was detailed on paper but I never thought this was gonna be an issue and tossed it in trash can. I'm sure I'll have a similar photo to share if I do any off roading much. I'm still learning. The hard way it seems. :(

Hey buddy. I experienced a annoying knock in my rear relative to wheel speed. Drove me NUTS. I blamed the elocker after replacing axles which didn't help. Then I decided to do this. Replace the carrier with an open diff and add the lunchbox locker. Also, we changed EVERY bearing and seal in the rearend. The annoying knock is gone !! Now it's just the violent locker bang but it's not as annoying as the original clunk clunk clung. My new answer (for myself) ride it till she breaks lol

I debated on driving it till it broke but I’m afraid it could get expensive. I’ve been saving up for a regear so maybe I can kill two birds! I’ve had it parked for a couple of weeks😞

Reactions: guitardave