Speaker noob, looking to upgrade existing speakers

schabj3

So likely going to buy from Crutchfield. All I want to do is upgrade stock speakers. I don’t even know how speakers there are so that’d be a good start.

Would like to balance between easy install and good quality. Ideally don’t want to be adding a bunch of new stuff in places where existing speakers are not.

Thanks.

Go on their site with your Jeep info and it will tell you everything you need to know. Everything is plug and play with no cutting or splicing wires. Adapters and connectors included.

p.s. I use Kicker and MTX speakers.

The Polk DB's seem to be the shit for the TJ speaker swap.

The TJ is not a vehicle that will produce quality audio without significant work (sound deadening, more speakers, amp/sub, etc). Even with all that work, I doubt you would hear anything at highway speeds with no top or doors. I have Marine Polk DB's in mine with a cheap Sony Bluetooth headunit and it is a great setup. Sound is clear, and bluetooth/usb hookup to my iPhone works great. I really can't ask for anything more out of the TJ, and I highly recommend upgrading to marine grade speakers in case anything gets wet. I got everything from Crutchfield, including the adapter for the dash to install the headunit and the connectors to make the speakers plug and play. They might cost a bit more than WalMart or Amazon, but they have good customer service. I had one issue a few years ago that was the fault of the USPS and they took care of it right away, can't say the same for Amazon.

With a stock radio-

I've tried five or six different pairs in the Jeep side by side with the stock speakers...the stock speakers sound much better than all the others. They all sounded like tin cans with no bass so I left the stock ones in.

I wish there was an easy swap that sounds better but I haven't been able to find it. Maybe buy some speakers locally that you can return if you have the same experience as me.

Reactions: 03coloradowrangler
With a stock radio-

I've tried five or six different pairs in the Jeep side by side with the stock speakers...the stock speakers sound much better than all the others. They all sounded like tin cans with no bass so I left the stock ones in.

I wish there was an easy swap that sounds better but I haven't been able to find it. Maybe buy some speakers locally that you can return if you have the same experience as me.
What year is your TJ? My stock speakers had very little base (just like the new ones) but the paper cones also crumbled when I took them out. Mine is a '98 with no center console sub.

Mine is a 2002.

The tried larger 6.5" speakers as well as 5.25" and the stock 5.25's still sounded better with more bass. I'm talking it wasn't even a close call and I had every intention of getting rid of the stock speakers.

My Jeep doesn't have a stock sub (I wish it did).

Reactions: jeepguy03
With a stock radio-

That's your problem right there. The low powered stock crap can't push better speakers. People who prefer low quality sound should stick to stock everything.
p.s. I have a stock Cassette player if anyone wants some high-tech 1990s sounding quality stuff.

Reactions: JMT and skrelnik
The TJ is not a vehicle that will produce quality audio without significant work (sound deadening, more speakers, amp/sub, etc). Even with all that work, I doubt you would hear anything at highway speeds with no top or doors.
I can't even hear wind/tire noise with my Jeep top off and hearing aid on HIGH. :unsure:
SPEAKER BOX (3).jpg

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: JMT and jeepguy03
That's your problem right there. The low powered stock crap can't push better speakers. People who prefer low quality sound should stick to stock everything.
p.s. I have a stock Cassette player if anyone wants some high-tech 1990s sounding quality stuff.
Ya I don't know much about that stuff. I just know a simple speaker swap by itself will probably sound worse.

So likely going to buy from Crutchfield. All I want to do is upgrade stock speakers. I don’t even know how speakers there are so that’d be a good start.
Have you added an aftermarket external amplifier? If not, I.E. you're still running standard or only the usual slightly higher wattage from an aftermarket radio, you need to go with speakers with a high Sensitivity rating which means 90 dB (decibel) or higher. Speakers like the Polk DB and Kicker have the required higher Sensitivity rating.

If you go with speakers with a lower Sensitivity rating like 87 dB, they would require exactly twice the wattage to drive them to the same listening levels that speakers with a 90 dB Sensitivity would produce. 90-93 dB Sensitivity levels are what you need with the stock radio or a typical aftermarket radio. The higher the Sensitivity, the less power the speakers require.

Don't pay attention to the wattage ratings you'll see pushed hard on speakers. When you're not running a high power external amplifier, speakers with a 50 watt rating and a 90 dB Sensitivity rating will play louder and sound better than speakers with a 500 watt rating with an 87 dB Sensitivity will.

Go on their site with your Jeep info and it will tell you everything you need to know. Everything is plug and play with no cutting or splicing wires. Adapters and connectors included.

p.s. I use Kicker and MTX speakers.

The Polk DB's seem to be the shit for the TJ speaker swap.

+1 with boogie. Stick with Kicker C or D series for a simple plug and play upgrade. Inexpensive, easy and sounds good with the stock amp. A new amplifier will definitely improve sound. Crutchfield will be your friend, use them and this forum for ideas.

Polks are okay, but there are many better options these days.

With a stock radio-

Here is a former for sale post of mine with some ideas, but with a stock head unit these Match amps are insanely awesome and plug and play as the company makes the connecting harness, as seen in this picture. Unfortunately you pay a hefty price because they have a built-in digital DSP, an a digital DSP means tinkering.

IMG_20200523_160352 (1).jpg

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/audio-equipment-wrangler-clean-out.35712/
I have these as well.
https://www.crutchfield.com/p_663DSHPD97/Select-Increments-Dash-Pods.html
I used the Polk speakers and these pods. Definitely an improvement over stock. Not sure the pods are worth the cost but when is that a factor when it comes to our jeeps.

Those are a great add on, but money can be more wisely spent on relocating the tweeters to the dash. Kicker makes a set now that is perfect for our Wrangler.

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20647KSS50/Kicker-47KSS504.html
Screenshot_20211128-211820.jpg

Last edited:
The TJ is not a vehicle that will produce quality audio without significant work (sound deadening, more speakers, amp/sub, etc). Even with all that work, I doubt you would hear anything at highway speeds with no top or doors. I have Marine Polk DB's in mine with a cheap Sony Bluetooth headunit and it is a great setup. Sound is clear, and bluetooth/usb hookup to my iPhone works great. I really can't ask for anything more out of the TJ, and I highly recommend upgrading to marine grade speakers in case anything gets wet. I got everything from Crutchfield, including the adapter for the dash to install the headunit and the connectors to make the speakers plug and play. They might cost a bit more than WalMart or Amazon, but they have good customer service. I had one issue a few years ago that was the fault of the USPS and they took care of it right away, can't say the same for Amazon.
I've had a great time blasting music with my top down and doors off. Currently running Front Polk DB 5.25 (in pods) and Rear Polk 6.5 in the soundbar bc the PO had 6.5s speakers installed (but I prefer 5.25s).

The speakers are powered by a $175.00 5-channel amp that also powers a 4 ohm Kicker 6.75 (wired to 2 ohms) in the center console (that was trimmed down, and slightly epoxied & dynamatted for rigidity). I'm very happy.

Folks aren't doing those speakers (especially the front ones) justice by only running off an aftermarket deck. I know because I did exactly that until I upgraded the subwoofer and decided to get a 5-channel. The speakers sound much "richer" when provided with more power and can emit much more output that comes in handy when running with the top down.

Last edited:
Reactions: JMT and skrelnik
I have these as well.
Same. I would buy them again because they were an improvement, and I would definitely only run the speakers powered by an amp knowing what I now know.

I wanted a clean stock-looking install but had read countless posts about how you can't use the stock locations if you want to have a good sounding system (especially for us soft top folks). I disagree based on my experience.

Build it correctly, set your gains appropriately, and enjoy (don't forget to dial in your EQ). :)

Last edited:
With a stock radio-

Sadly, there's not enough power to run anything but stock speakers in your situation. I've been there and it's disappointing. You might be better off going with an aftermarket deck to power the stock speakers if you were going to only upgrade one item. This route can work surprisingly well.

Reactions: Kid Mechanic
I've decided the stock setup is fine for my purposes.

Here is a pic I took when I was trying out different aftermarket speakers. They are all 5.25" but tiny compared to the factory speaker.

54E9E342-1509-417A-B072-35AF44BD95BF.jpeg

Sadly, there's not enough power to run anything but stock speakers in your situation.
Not true. As above, you only need to find good quality aftermarket speakers that have a high enough Sensitivity rating (>90 dB) to require no more power than the factory installed speakers do. Polk and Kicker are two manufacturers that make speakers with high enough Sensitivity ratings to work well with the factory radio.

Reactions: schabj3 and pc1p
Another happy Polk DB customer here.
I went with the 5.25" in the stock dash locations, upgraded to 6.5" in the pods on the roll bar, added a set of the separate tweeters from Quadratec on the dash.
That still wasn't enough to hear with the doors and top off, so I added a small amp, an 8" powered sub under the driver's seat, and then made a pair of custom kick panel pods for a 2nd pair of 6.5" Polk Db's in the footwells.
It's not a competition-type installation, but it has full sound now that can be heard with the wind noise of no top or doors.
1641323081514.png
1641323119137.png

Reactions: Jerry Bransford