Speakers with good bass for front and rear of 2006 TJ

Carson.bub

@skrelnik what are some good speakers that have good bass that are an easy install that I can purchase from crutchfield that is low price and can hold me over till I get a sub ? I need them for the front and rear I prefer like stock sizes so I don’t have to do any cutting .

Not skrelnik, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night (and worked at Crutchfield). :unsure: You won't get much bass out of stock sized speakers without a sub. MTX and Kicker make good quality speakers. 5.25" in the dash and 6.5" in the sound bar. FWIW the MTX put out better bass with a high-powered head unit. Crutchfield gives you the adapters free also. No cutting or splicing wires.
SPEAKER BOX (4).jpg

Last edited:
Spend the money on a powered subwoofer you won’t regret it. I just put one under my passenger seat hard to beat for under 200 bucks. I should have done it years ago.

jsyk, the jeep wasn't intended for bass. you won't get anything worthwhile changing front and rear speakers. go the powered sub route first with input options for line level and high level inputs. you'll use the high level input if your using the factory deck. later on if you change the deck out you can change to low level input on the powered subwoofer if you select a deck with sub output.

either way it won't be spectacular with whatever option you end up with imo.

Reactions: matkal
Even with good speakers (amplified alpine type r) in the stock locations I can’t hardly get much base from them. Those exact same speakers were excellent in my old land cruiser but in my tj by themselves they sound cheap.

• Wow
Reactions: Kenneth G Zinis
Crutchfield's Polk speakers are popular on this forum, and are plug-and-play for the sound bar. You can put 5.25s in the front if you use the adaptors. They sound pretty good with a basic head unit. But as others have said, if you're really after bass, you might want a small "powered enclosure" (sub-and-amp in one). Several are small enough to fit in nice places, like under the driver's seat, under the back seat, etc.

@skrelnik what are some good speakers that have good bass that are an easy install that I can purchase from crutchfield that is low price and can hold me over till I get a sub ? I need them for the front and rear I prefer like stock sizes so I don’t have to do any cutting .

When building an audio system you should not buy a cheap speaker to hold you over, come up with a larger plan instead, budget and what system you want, head unit, speakers and amplifier. And if you want Apple CarPlay or any features like that.

As for swapping in speakers that are easy to install, and easy means plug and play and not that much more bass, I would go Kicker. Crutchfield will send you the install gear so this is a super easy install and will sound better.

This is not pound me bass, remember, and if you want that a bigger upgrade will be needed, including amplifier. Ask away if you want to go down this rabbit hole!

Kicker 46CSC654​

And 5.25"

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html
Screenshot_20211227-084902.jpg

Last edited:
When building an audio system you should not buy a cheap speaker to hold you over, come up with a larger plan instead, budget and what system you want, head unit, speakers and amplifier.
Where in CT do you live? I was raised in Enfield CT. :cool: I derailed this thread worse than Kamala did border control. 🤫

Reactions: Just Chillin
jsyk, the jeep wasn't intended for bass. you won't get anything worthwhile changing front and rear speakers. go the powered sub route first with input options for line level and high level inputs. you'll use the high level input if your using the factory deck. later on if you change the deck out you can change to low level input on the powered subwoofer if you select a deck with sub output.

either way it won't be spectacular with whatever option you end up with imo.
I’m gotta powered sub called a cerwin Vega with extra sub wires that I’m buying separate from Amazon . A friend of mine has this and I’m definitely getting it soon . I have just replied to everything because I don’t know how to like these posts . Thanks for all the help

Reactions: TheBoogieman
When building an audio system you should not buy a cheap speaker to hold you over, come up with a larger plan instead, budget and what system you want, head unit, speakers and amplifier. And if you want Apple CarPlay or any features like that.

As for swapping in speakers that are easy to install, and easy means plug and play and not that much more bass, I would go Kicker. Crutchfield will send you the install gear so this is a super easy install and will sound better.

This is not pound me bass, remember, and if you want that a bigger upgrade will be needed, including amplifier. Ask away if you want to go down this rabbit hole!

Kicker 46CSC654​

And 5.25"

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_20646CC54/Kicker-46CSC54.html
View attachment 298734
I saw on that picture you sent that it fits in the dash corner I found some jbl speakers that are the same size and fit in dash corner can I still buy them and put them in the roll bar for the rear by chance ? If so that would be great

Where in CT do you live? I was raised in Enfield CT. :cool: I derailed this thread worse than Kamala did border control. 🤫

Kamala was one of my favorite WWF wrestlers! I don't recognize the other Kamala that you are referring to, she sounds like a C word.

I am down in Trumbull, not close but not far from Enfield. My Challenger org

Growing up, Kamala was one of my favorite WWF wrestlers. I don't recognize the Kamala you are speaking about, but she sounds like a C word!

I am over in Trumbull, not to far, but not too close to Enfield. My Challenger came from Artioli Dodge in Enfield.

I saw on that picture you sent that it fits in the dash corner I found some jbl speakers that are the same size and fit in dash corner can I still buy them and put them in the roll bar for the rear by chance ? If so that would be great

Post the JBL model number and let me take a look.

Do you intend to add an amplifier or keeping it simple with speakers only?

Reactions: TheBoogieman
Growing up, Kamala was one of my favorite WWF wrestlers. I don't recognize the Kamala you are speaking about, but she sounds like a C word!

I am over in Trumbull, not to far, but not too close to Enfield. My Challenger came from Artioli Dodge in Enfield.

I’ll send the screenshot of the speaker pair , yes I’m gonna jeep it simple with speakers at the moment till I get the powered sub

Reactions: skrelnik
I’ll send the screenshot of the speaker pair , yes I’m gonna jeep it simple with speakers at the moment till I get the powered sub

Last edited:
Yeah, a powered sub changes everything, but a decent head unit and replacement speakers come first. Or just do it all together.

I’m gotta powered sub called a cerwin Vega with extra sub wires that I’m buying separate from Amazon . A friend of mine has this and I’m definitely getting it soon . I have just replied to everything because I don’t know how to like these posts . Thanks for all the help
is your buddies in a TJ or something else? my powered kicker hideaway sounded pretty good in my pickup but was pretty quiet in the jeep.

is your buddies in a TJ or something else? my powered kicker hideaway sounded pretty good in my pickup but was pretty quiet in the jeep.

I am personally not a fan of self powered subs since the 6.75" Kicker replacement, with amp, is just as good as any self powered sub that would fit in the TJ. Plus you can now get a 5 channel amp to power the rest of the system, and still retain the stock head unit, if wanted. Or add a new head unit.

Reactions: JMT and bobthetj03
I am personally not a fan of self powered subs since the 6.75" Kicker replacement, with amp, is just as good as any self powered sub that would fit in the TJ. Plus you can now get a 5 channel amp to power the rest of the system, and still retain the stock head unit, if wanted. Or add a new head unit.

completely agree. I salvaged a sub console from the scrap yard and went the kicker route too, definitely not a thumper by any means. much better bass and can definitely hear it when I turn the volume up where as the powered sub would start petering out with the higher volumes and left me with tinny sounding music. id say with the kicker, its more on par with a decent sounding factory set up in any car for my audio now. I like bass but nothing made any improvement for bass response than a subwoofer. as per the original post, changing speakers won't do anything 🤷‍♂️
some kind of subwoofer is needed. in all honesty, id go the kicker route too, did the powered sub and wasn't too happy. but apples to oranges, how involved does OP want to get with removing the original sub if equipped, trimming, finding a spot for the amp, etc.
once the roof is off though your just listening to wind though. :ROFLMAO:
IMG_2703.JPG

completely agree. I salvaged a sub console from the scrap yard and went the kicker route too, definitely not a thumper by any means. much better bass and can definitely hear it when I turn the volume up where as the powered sub would start petering out with the higher volumes and left me with tinny sounding music. id say with the kicker, its more on par with a decent sounding factory set up in any car for my audio now. I like bass but nothing made any improvement for bass response than a subwoofer. as per the original post, changing speakers won't do anything 🤷‍♂️
some kind of subwoofer is needed. in all honesty, id go the kicker route too, did the powered sub and wasn't too happy. but apples to oranges, how involved does OP want to get with removing the original sub if equipped, trimming, finding a spot for the amp, etc.
once the roof is off though your just listening to wind though. :ROFLMAO:
View attachment 298855
I had one of those. Sub did not work when I got the jeep. I ripped the guts out and now my sub amp resides in that spot.

I’ve got JL speakers front and on the sound bar. Yes they fit. I love my Kenwood powered sub.