Has anyone swapped out their original shifter for a Hurst or B&M?

Does Hurst or B&M even make shifters for our AX or NP trannies? Maybe for the automatics. I've put two Hurst shifters in Camaros. One was a short throw on an M21, and the other was a vertical gate twin stick on an M22. Good kit, but the linkages were all external on those transmissions.

I've seen the Hurst shifter done and it's just a bolt on affair from what I read.

ForumRunner_20121029_181756.jpg
ForumRunner_20121029_181802.jpg

image.jpeg
Does Hurst or B&M even make shifters for our AX or NP trannies? Maybe for the automatics. I've put two Hurst shifters in Camaros. One was a short throw on an M21, and the other was a vertical gate twin stick on an M22. Good kit, but the linkages were all external on those transmissions.

Quadratic had this one in their summer catalog, but I see it's no longer available.
I see one on eBay that fits though.

It should be noted that for some reason all of these say they'll only fit the 90-99 Wranglers with the AX15 transmission.

However, from doing the research it's not hard to make these work with any manual transmission as there isn't much to it from my understanding.

Know from my experience that shifter towers bolt patterns are different between AX 5 and AX 15. Tried putting a Dakota straight shifter in one of my 4 bangers. No go. Wouldn't fit with the floor console in my MJ ethier. Do like the idea of a straight handle Hurst type shifter though...:)

B&M does make their short throw shifter for 2000-2006 TJ/LJ’s too. It greatly reduces the throw and the side to side movement, but it’s pretty firm and “notchy” going into gear.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0013ER2G2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Sure, it would be nice to have a tighter shift on my 6-speed (actually, it would be REALLY nice), and B&M makes great stuff, but at over 650 simoleons for the shift tower and stick I just can't talk myself into it. My current setup suits me just fine, mostly because I'm pretty old and sloppy myself...

I have a B&M short throw shifter in my Tj with the AX-15. Been in it for years no issues.

B6E90EA9-D0D0-4AC7-BBBF-444F0A6D9787.jpeg

I've had a Hurst shifter for quite awhile. It is a major upgrade--it really adds to the pleasure of driving.

I had it off recently. The boot seal to the shifter tower from the transmission had totally disintegrated. That was disappointing. I ordered two more and hopefully that will get me through the life of my TJ.

I have a Hurst short throw on me SE with the AX5 and love it. Big difference from the stock shifter that felt like I was rowing a boat.

I have a B&M with the NV3550 tranny. Removed all the slop and pop outs for second gear and reverse. Reduces throw tremendously and allows for LARGE drink in front cupholder without interference.

Holy cow is all I can say to this. I have an NSG370, and the 2005 B&M short shifter's lowest price is $460 on Amazon, and you have to either reuse your old stock shifter stick and ball or buy a new B&M one for around $150, so over $600 all-in for a complete set-up. I recently put a short shifter in my Hellcat and that was close to half the price and included the stick and ball, in my choice of color.

$275 for the NV3550 makes so much more logical sense, especially since it includes the stick and ball. Crazy that the NSG370 shifter is more than 2x more costly than the NV3550 shifter.

Reactions: Backdraft
Keep in mind the shift mechanism you remember as a kid the Hurst made such an improvement on was a rod and lever type shift mechansim that is external to the transmission, like Chevy transmissions. It won't help the AX-5, AX-15, NV-3550, etc. like it did old hot rod transmissions. Jeep transmissions have the lever coming up out of the top of the transmission, about the only thing that can be done is to shorten it to shorten the throw... which also makes shifting stiffer due to the shift lever losing some of its leverage.

Do it for looks but I wouldn't expect any shift quality improvement.