Specs for OEM Speaker Trunk (AKA "Sound Deck")

SSTJ

———
Lifetime Supporting Member
It’s like an add-a-trunk or insta-trunk, but it has a small subwoofer and two tweeters. I’m told they were an OEM option, but we’re uncommon.

Does anyone know the specs for the speakers or especially the amp in here? I am replacing the sub, and may also replace the amp while I’m at it.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

———

Update: @Jamison C reminded me to look for part numbers. None found, but did find a patent number, which turned up this and this. The second link is a fun read, and a good reminder of how much time and thought goes into these products. But as a patent, it has no information about what speakers or amp Chrysler chose to put in there. So the search continues ...

Update: Something brought to mind the name "sound deck", and now I'm getting results. Here was one for sale on the forum, and here is a thread about wiring one. A YouTube video tells me that these were made for early TJs that didn't have the option of a sub in the center console.

Update: Thanks to @Jamison C for finding the Mopar part number: 82204809. Can be found here. As @Steve04 points out, this seems to be a Mopar accessory brochure, which would explain why although there's nothing about them in the FSMs, some TJs came with these from the factory. And finally, the brochure lists the color as Camel Tan (99-02), which means that whenever I find a paint color that truly matches my 97 Saddle Tan, I'll end up painting this too.

Update: Some screenshots I pulled off the web for specs.

Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 8.02.39 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 8.02.53 AM.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-07 at 8.03.14 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: lBasket
If anyone knows the right name for this, I might have better luck googling. So far, I can’t find anything.

Try finding the eight digit Mopar part number and google that. I’ve been able to find info in obsolete parts that way.

Reactions: SSTJ
Try finding the eight digit Mopar part number and google that. I’ve been able to find info in obsolete parts that way.

Thanks. I should have thought of that.

Can't find a part number, but did find a patent number: US PAT. 5591946. Google turned up this:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5591946A/en

Thanks for the idea. I'll update the original post with what I can find in this link.

Calling @Jerry Bransford and @Chris , if I may.

Have either of you ever seen one of these? Cannot find a Mopar or Chrysler number, and the patent number isn't giving me any specific information.

Calling @Jerry Bransford and @Chris , if I may.

Have either of you ever seen one of these? Cannot find a Mopar or Chrysler number, and the patent number isn't giving me any specific information.

Just get an amp and sub and go for it.

P.s. It would seem to be difficult to seal the rear trunk area for good acoustics, but maybe they solved that somehow. The seal between the tailgate and sound deck would have to be really tight.

Gotta be something in an FSM. If it was the option for non-Rubicons, I’d check the first year, 2003 FSM. Wiring schematics should be there.

Did you watch this video? Not sure if it would help you or not, but more info on it.

Thanks, I did. That's where I learned that they were made for early-year TJs without the subwoofer console option. Not much else to learn in that video, except how it sounds with cheap components.

Reactions: deadbeat son
Gotta be something in an FSM. If it was the option for non-Rubicons, I’d check the first year, 2003 FSM. Wiring schematics should be there.

I've heard that it was an option for the early-year TJs when the subwoofer console wasn't an option. But yes, I'll check the FSM.

Just get an amp and sub and go for it.

I'm beginning to agree. I thought the original amp might be worth saving, and might save some work in re-wiring, but I've heard in two places that it's a small amp, maybe in the range of 50W max and 25W continuous. So I do think I'll just pull all the components and put new stuff in.

P.s. It would seem to be difficult to seal the rear trunk area for good acoustics, but maybe they solved that somehow. The seal between the tailgate and sound deck would have to be really tight.

I'm not sure I follow. The unit is an enclosure itself, and is actually a few inches thick and is hollow. So it's actually like a Rockford Fogaste PS-8 or a Sound Ordnance B-8PTD, except it's shaped to create a small trunk space, and also accommodates two tweters.

Thanks, I did. That's where I learned that they were made for early-year TJs without the subwoofer console option. Not much else to learn in that video, except how it sounds with cheap components.

Unfortunately I hadn't watched it before posting, but skimmed through it afterward. Had I watched prior, I wouldn't have bothered.

Interesting. I can’t find anything in my 97 FSM, and I also checked in a 2000 and a 2004.

Seller told me it was “not a factory option, but only a dealer option”, whatever that might mean.

Reactions: lBasket
Looks like it was from a mopar accessory catalog. Not equipped from the factory so not in the fsm. Parts department has accessory catalogs for every model and can be installed in the service department and carry factory warranty

Nice! And I like that whole catalogue actually.

Ok, so it's verified: 99–02, Camel Tan and Agate, 50 watt amp. In that case I'm happy to remove it and replace with a compact two-channel or something.

Looks like it was from a mopar accessory catalog. Not equipped from the factory so not in the fsm. Parts department has accessory catalogs for every model and can be installed in the service department and carry factory warranty

Yep, makes sense now.