Speedometer freaking out

BrunoPizz97

TJ Enthusiast
NEED HELP
Short and simple my Speedo freaks out when I drive going from 0 to 100 back to 0 then to 50 it’s always a different number but it’s not giving me the correct speed and it’s messing with my mileage. I couldn’t see any frayed wires that may cause this. I took the speedo sensor out and I noticed that the gear was melting the sensor.( see picture for reference )
I noticed that the last time I had taken out the speedo sensor but i put it back in and it was ok. Can anyone tell me the reason as to why this happens and how to fix it because it is very frustrating and I can’t take it anymore. Also I noticed a sensor that looks like it belongs somewhere maybe not but look at the photo and tell me what you think. Thank you

0374292E-6E3C-4016-8CBC-C488FDFBF03B.jpeg

F764BF90-8A12-4AF9-AA35-750082FC3491.jpeg

7B0C8838-70D4-4CEE-A93E-D654AD2AA388.jpeg

Not to say you’re wrong but it was in the correct position. It didn’t freak out for a few months and now it’s freaking out a Again. Every so often I unplug it and plug it back in and sometimes that solves my issue.
Odds are that the assembly was not quite rotated into the right position after a replacement speedo gear was installed which will chew the gear up.

what you're calling a sensor that's just hanging loose up there is a connector in the harness that's used on the automatic transmissions and gets an empty plug to keep garbage out of it on TJ's with a manual transmission.

If the assembly was always perfectly installed then it can't be what I'm thinking caused the problem.

And X2 to what freedom_in_4low said, that's just a connector for the 32RH automatic transmission.

Reactions: BrunoPizz97
The way your describing the problem it could be connections on the back of the instrument gauge…. they can sometimes need a clean. My speedo and tac used to bounce around allot (even at idle) some days were good other days it was like it had a mind of its own. I pulled the gauge off and clean them up....good as new

The way your describing the problem it could be connections on the back of the instrument gauge…. they can sometimes need a clean. My speedo and tac used to bounce around allot (even at idle) some days were good other days it was like it had a mind of its own. I pulled the gauge off and clean them up....good as new
On a TJ?? The gauges are all soldered directly into a multilayer printed circuit board.

the connector to the gauge needs to be checked for possible misconnections, also have you thought of replacing the entire part?
I Had the sensor swapped out before and it solved the problem and now its back. So I'm assuming this sensor is now fried. I was looking on Rock auto for a new sensor and the sensor they have listed doesn't look like the one I have now. Can anyone confirm that this is the right part. I'm assuming they may have changed the design so its less prone to failing. I have a 97 wrangler

1600260206757.png

1600260139969.png

So I’m a little confused.

Your speedometer is jumping all over, you pull the speedo andit is fried/blown etc....and you’re still looking for the problem? I went through the thread twice, maybe I’m missing something....but when the speedo is blown....I would make the assumption its the problem.

It’s blown like that a couple times you say?

1. You’re getting multiple faulty speedos, try a different vendor, call the vendor and see if they are getting multiple clients with this issue?

2. Since the Speedo is in correctly on multiple occasions, that can’t be the issue....but just for fun, maybe double and triple check what “correctly” is? Maybe something was missed, I’m sure not, but with repeated failures you sometimes have to say “ok, so is it possible something is off on the install?”
I Wouldn’t go messing with other components when you have the specific Speedo that drives the entire speedometer reading blown in your hand, but that’s just me, I’m lazy like that.

So I’m a little confused.

Your speedometer is jumping all over, you pull the speedo andit is fried/blown etc....and you’re still looki for the problem? I went through the thread twice, maybe I’m missing something....but when the speedo is blown....I would make the assumption its the problem.

It’s blown like that a couple times you say?

1. You’re getting multiple faulty speedos, try a different vendor, call the vendor and see if they are getting multiple clients with this issue?

Since the Speedo is in correctly on multiple occasions, that can’t be the issue....but just for fun, maybe double and triple check what “correctly” is? Maybe something was missed, I’m sure not, but with repeated failures you sometimes have to say “ok, so is it possible something is off on the install?”
Wouldn’t go messing with other components when you have the specific Speedo that drives the entire speedometer reading blown in your hand, but that’s just me, I’m lazy like that.
I have only had one failure, and when I did my SYE I swapped the sensor with one from another jeep and it was working fine. The one that I swapped is now having problems as well and I thought to myself no way this sensor is going bad. So I began to look for frayed wires that may cause this, I didn't find anything. Reason as to why I thought the sensor still may be good is because on multiple occasions when It began to freak out I would pull over unplug the sensor and plug it back in and it would go back to normal. Now its not going back to normal so I am going to swap the sensor.