Speedometer just started bouncing around erratically

05Rubicon

HELP!!! I have an '05 TJ Rubicon with 90k miles on it, 4.0 with automatic transmission. Coming home from work last night the speedometer just started jumping around erratically, all other instruments reading normally. I bought this "Ruby" not quite 2 years ago with just 62k on the odometer and by the looks of it, it has never been off road so mud is ruled out as a possible problem. It is still completely stock. No CEL, but I am going to hook up my code scanner in the morning to see if it has thrown any codes. I'm just curious if anyone on here has had this problem, and if so, what was the fix?

Replaced both Speed Sensor and Battery Temp Sensor...no change...???
Well, to make a long story short, stealership seems to think it's a bad instrument cluster, me personally I'm leaning more towards a PCM problem...other than the fact that I'm not getting a check engine light...I guess first I'll do a "HARD" reset on all electrical components and see if that helps...

Well, to make a long story short, stealership seems to think it's a bad instrument cluster, me personally I'm leaning more towards a PCM problem...other than the fact that I'm not getting a check engine light...I guess first I'll do a "HARD" reset on all electrical components and see if that helps...
Intermittent problem are.always hard to troubleshoot. My Speedo needle goes nuts a couple times a week, then back to normal.
I'm going to wait n do nothing for now and see if it gets worse :-/

Have you tried tightening the nut on the output shaft of the tcase? IIRC its around 220 ft/lbs. The rubi uses a tone ring and hall sensor. If the ring is loose it will give erratic readings

Reactions: KCsTJ
Have you tried tightening the nut on the output shaft of the tcase? IIRC its around 220 ft/lbs. The rubi uses a tone ring and hall sensor. If the ring is loose it will give erratic readings

X2. This is where I would start.

I also found this on another forum. It's a lot more in-depth:

Step 1: Define the problem
A. Goal is to find out if it Is just a speedometer problem or not
B. Notice if other gauges are affected such as RPM, fuel level, temp and so on.
C. If they are not skip to step 2
D. If they are this is either CCD bus, PCM or instrument cluster
E. Instrument cluster can be isolated in step 2 below
F. Side note: CCD bus is what controls the gauges for RPM, speedometer, fuel, temp, oil, voltmeter
G. Side note 2: On the back on the instrument cluster is a 2 connections C1, C2
a. C1, pin 1 goes to CCD (-)
b. C1, pin 2 goes to CCD(+)
c. C1, pin 9 goes to ground
d. CCD (-) goes to C1 connection on PCM (grey plug on PCM), pin C28 (white/black)wire
e. CDD (+) goes to C1 on PCM pin C30 (red/Light Green)wire
H. Side note 3: If your gauges don’t work when the air bag light is on there was a recall for this the reason for this:
a. Is because the air bag module taps into the CCD bus, which causes the CCD bus to be off, if the airbag module is over loading it.
I. Side not 4: All the pins on the back on the instrument cluster are as follows:
a. C1 connection:
1. Pin 1 = CCD (-)
2. Pin 2 = CCD (+)
3. Pin 3 = Rear window defogger relay
4. Pin 4 = Rear window defogger switch sense
5. Pin 5 = 4WD
6. Pin 6 = right turn signal
7. Pin 7 =
8. Pin 8 = Key-in switch
9. Pin 9 = Ground
10. Pin 10 = Seat belt
b. C2 connection:
1. Pin 1 =
2. Pin 2 = Red Brake warning
3. Pin 3 = Fuse box/ Lamp dimmer switch
4. Pin 4 = ABS warning
5. Pin 5 = High Beam
6. Pin 6 = Ground
7. Pin 7 =
8. Pin 8 = Fused ignition switch (start/run)
9. Pin 9 = Fused b+
10. Pin 10 = Left turn signal
Step 2: If just Speedometer Isolate the instrument cluster:
A. The instrument cluster is 98 Jeep Wrangler can be isolated by doing a diags test on the cluster.
1. With the engine off hold the trip button on the cluster
2. Turn the key to on, do not crank the engine
3. Let go of the trip button
4. When you release all the cluster lights should go off and the gauges needles should move
a. The speedometer should move 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and all the way full and back the opposite way 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, back to zero
b. This is the same for all other gauges as well
5. If it fails bad cluster
6. If it passes then it is a grounding problem with the 5V power going to VSS or data wire going to the VSS, or bad VSS.
Step 2: Isolate the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
A. Unplug VSS, VSS is located in the transfer case held on one 1/2” bolt with a 3 pin power connection, the plug is on the backside the transfer case
B. Drive around
C. Does the speedometer still jump?
1. If not test the 5V VSS power to the VSS ground using a voltmeter
a. Turn the key to on, do not crank the engine
b. 5V is violet/orange wire
c. Ground/ sensor return is brown/yellow wire
d. If you are getting 5V then it is a bad VSS or something after that
e. If you are not you have a ground or something is wrong with the PCM(computer)
2. If it does still jump:
a. Test the data wire (orange/ white) with the VSS ground
b. should be getting 5V if VSS is unplugged
c. if not the data has wire has a short or something is wrong with the PCM
d. to isolate the a ground problem cut the data wire close to the PCM
1. Before you cut any wire disconnect battery first
2. This is an orange/ white wire going to PCM white connector, pin B27
3. Be careful to cut the right one.
4. There is also an orange/white going to the PCM grey connection
5. But lucky the white and black PCM connection wires are bundled together, grey connection wiresare bundled separately.
6. Drive around
7. if it stops you have a ground, if not PCM
8. if you have a ground you have 2 choices:
a. find the ground
b. route new wire between PCM and VSS, solder both ends
9. And there you go, one less excuses to tell a cop why you are speeding

X2. This is where I would start.

I also found this on another forum. It's a lot more in-depth:

Step 1: Define the problem
A. Goal is to find out if it Is just a speedometer problem or not
B. Notice if other gauges are affected such as RPM, fuel level, temp and so on.
C. If they are not skip to step 2
D. If they are this is either CCD bus, PCM or instrument cluster
E. Instrument cluster can be isolated in step 2 below
F. Side note: CCD bus is what controls the gauges for RPM, speedometer, fuel, temp, oil, voltmeter
G. Side note 2: On the back on the instrument cluster is a 2 connections C1, C2
a. C1, pin 1 goes to CCD (-)
b. C1, pin 2 goes to CCD(+)
c. C1, pin 9 goes to ground
d. CCD (-) goes to C1 connection on PCM (grey plug on PCM), pin C28 (white/black)wire
e. CDD (+) goes to C1 on PCM pin C30 (red/Light Green)wire
H. Side note 3: If your gauges don’t work when the air bag light is on there was a recall for this the reason for this:
a. Is because the air bag module taps into the CCD bus, which causes the CCD bus to be off, if the airbag module is over loading it.
I. Side not 4: All the pins on the back on the instrument cluster are as follows:
a. C1 connection:
1. Pin 1 = CCD (-)
2. Pin 2 = CCD (+)
3. Pin 3 = Rear window defogger relay
4. Pin 4 = Rear window defogger switch sense
5. Pin 5 = 4WD
6. Pin 6 = right turn signal
7. Pin 7 =
8. Pin 8 = Key-in switch
9. Pin 9 = Ground
10. Pin 10 = Seat belt
b. C2 connection:
1. Pin 1 =
2. Pin 2 = Red Brake warning
3. Pin 3 = Fuse box/ Lamp dimmer switch
4. Pin 4 = ABS warning
5. Pin 5 = High Beam
6. Pin 6 = Ground
7. Pin 7 =
8. Pin 8 = Fused ignition switch (start/run)
9. Pin 9 = Fused b+
10. Pin 10 = Left turn signal
Step 2: If just Speedometer Isolate the instrument cluster:
A. The instrument cluster is 98 Jeep Wrangler can be isolated by doing a diags test on the cluster.
1. With the engine off hold the trip button on the cluster
2. Turn the key to on, do not crank the engine
3. Let go of the trip button
4. When you release all the cluster lights should go off and the gauges needles should move
a. The speedometer should move 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and all the way full and back the opposite way 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, back to zero
b. This is the same for all other gauges as well
5. If it fails bad cluster
6. If it passes then it is a grounding problem with the 5V power going to VSS or data wire going to the VSS, or bad VSS.
Step 2: Isolate the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)
A. Unplug VSS, VSS is located in the transfer case held on one 1/2” bolt with a 3 pin power connection, the plug is on the backside the transfer case
B. Drive around
C. Does the speedometer still jump?
1. If not test the 5V VSS power to the VSS ground using a voltmeter
a. Turn the key to on, do not crank the engine
b. 5V is violet/orange wire
c. Ground/ sensor return is brown/yellow wire
d. If you are getting 5V then it is a bad VSS or something after that
e. If you are not you have a ground or something is wrong with the PCM(computer)
2. If it does still jump:
a. Test the data wire (orange/ white) with the VSS ground
b. should be getting 5V if VSS is unplugged
c. if not the data has wire has a short or something is wrong with the PCM
d. to isolate the a ground problem cut the data wire close to the PCM
1. Before you cut any wire disconnect battery first
2. This is an orange/ white wire going to PCM white connector, pin B27
3. Be careful to cut the right one.
4. There is also an orange/white going to the PCM grey connection
5. But lucky the white and black PCM connection wires are bundled together, grey connection wiresare bundled separately.
6. Drive around
7. if it stops you have a ground, if not PCM
8. if you have a ground you have 2 choices:
a. find the ground
b. route new wire between PCM and VSS, solder both ends
9. And there you go, one less excuses to tell a cop why you are speeding

Thanks Chris, I also found this on another forum and it is my next step, but considering that I also keep getting an code (P0517 Battery temp sensor) that also comes from the PCM (and have already replaced the sensor) I'm almost convinced it's a bad PCM. But I will eliminate all other possibilities first.

Thanks Chris, I also found this on another forum and it is my next step, but considering that I also keep getting an code (P0517 Battery temp sensor) that also comes from the PCM (and have already replaced the sensor) I'm almost convinced it's a bad PCM. But I will eliminate all other possibilities first.

Did you use a Mopar brand replacement sensor?

No I didn't, I used a BWD (p/n BTS13) from O'Reilly.

That's likely your issue then.

These TJs are notorious (and I mean that) for rejecting almost any sensor that isn't OE Mopar. Can't tell you how many times I've tried a auto part store brand sensor and it failed to get rid of the code. That's just the nature of the beast. Put in a OE Mopar sensor, clear the code, and there's a very good chance your check engine light will go away.

Reactions: gatertamer
That's likely your issue then.

These TJs are notorious (and I mean that) for rejecting almost any sensor that isn't OE Mopar. Can't tell you how many times I've tried a auto part store brand sensor and it failed to get rid of the code. That's just the nature of the beast. Put in a OE Mopar sensor, clear the code, and there's a very good chance your check engine light will go away.
I'm not getting a check engine light, just the code (and ammeter reading drops down to approx 13.5V), but only when checking using the key on-off-on-off-on method, code doesn't show up when using an OBD-2 code scanner.

Last edited:
If the code isn't showing up with an OBDII scanner and it's not triggering a check engine light, then I would say it's non-existent. An OBDII scanner should tell you everything, and if there truly was an error, a check engine light should be on.

UPDATE on erratic Speedometer...I do believe I found the culprit, Ground (G105) located (on the 4.0 engine) on the right hand side of the block (aft of the oil filter) is the primary ground point for the PCM (at least that's what I see when looking at the FSM wiring diagram), anyhow it was starting to get what appeared to look like some corrosion on it. So I took the 1/2" nut off, removed the two terminals (one of which has 4 wires in it), cleaned it all up, put a little dielectric grease on the terminals, reassembled and tightened it all down and have had just over 200 trouble free miles with a steady (and almost accurate) speedometer. I'll see how it does the rest of the week before I am completely satisfied though. Now to install an OEM battery temp sensor and see how that works.

I think I found my problem as well, similar to yours, @05Rubicon, i think I accidentally grounded my 02 sensor.
Gas mileage all of a sudden was worse than usual so I focused on the 02 sensor and found this...
20180610_100425.jpg

The wiring got too close to the exhaust manifold and melted the insulation off 2 wires.
I have temporarily cleaned and taped the 2 exposed wires for now until i can repair permanently later.
I think the exposed wires may have affected the upstream 02 sensor due to my massive mpg increase.
New 02 sensor ordered/delivered. :)

Not to hijack but my Speedo needle started this same erratic movement last week, very intermittent.
No codes.
I'll be following this thread closely
I found the culprit, Ground (G105) located (on the 4.0 engine) on the right hand side of the block (aft of the oil filter) is the primary ground point for the PCM (at least that's what I see when looking at the FSM wiring diagram), anyhow it was starting to get what appeared to look like some corrosion on it. So I took the 1/2" nut off, removed the two terminals (one of which has 4 wires in it), cleaned it all up, put a little dielectric grease on the terminals, reassembled and tightened it all down and it has been working perfectly for the last week (and yes it is a DAILY driver). I believe on your 2.5 that ground is located near the Left engine mount.

Last edited: