Spice vs black soft tops on dark green

robertgreen79

TJ Enthusiast
I'm in the market for a new soft top (going the Supertop NX route) but of course bestop no longer makes the Khaki soft top that I currently have and love. Is the Spice version as light as it appears in pictures? I cannot seem to decide which color to get for my Sahara.

I really like my spice Bestop Supertop on my 98 Moss Green Sahara.

06A0D586-A93C-4AFB-9AA9-2AFF31F66F92.jpeg

I think what throws me off is the pictures online vary greatly in how they look. Sometimes it looks closer to what I already have, and sometimes it looks really light (which I don't like)

This one is way too light for my tastes for instance

20CCEC84-F9E2-415B-8029-D74D719C66A7.png

Reactions: Ephry73
I think what throws me off is the pictures online vary greatly in how they look. Sometimes it looks closer to what I already have, and sometimes it looks really light (which I don't like)

This one is way too light for my tastes for instance

View attachment 250554
I can tell you that my spice soft top seems to be a shade darker than my old factory spice hard top was. The hard top wasn't faded or anything as the hardtop had always been stored in a garage and was hardly on the Jeep before I bought it.

Mine actually looks lighter in the pic due to the sun light and garage door being open than it is in real life.

I can tell you that my spice soft top seems to be a shade darker than my old factory spice hard top was. The hard top wasn't faded or anything as the hardtop had always been stored in a garage and was hardly on the Jeep before I bought it.

Mine actually looks lighter in the pic due to the sun light and garage door being open than it is in real life.

Ok that's very reassuring actually. Thanks! I'll go the spice route

Ok that's very reassuring actually. Thanks! I'll go the spice route

That sounds like a good plan. Please keep in mind that you will have to meet forum requirement by posting a before picture (with hard top) and an after picture (with soft top), both taken in the same light, at the same angle with the same background.

When you post those pictures, if you feel you need to claim the guidance in this thread is right or wrong, you can but it won't really matter. Mainly because you will have a couple pages of people posting their opinion on how right, or wrong choosing Spice was, based on what they see on their monitor or smart phone.

However it turns out and whatever they see, I think it will look good.

I'm in the market for a new soft top (going the Supertop NX route) but of course bestop no longer makes the Khaki soft top that I currently have and love. Is the Spice version as light as it appears in pictures? I cannot seem to decide which color to get for my Sahara.

I have a shale green metallic 2002 and have the same dilemma. I was leaning toward the Bestop dark tan instead of the brighter spice. They might send samples if you call.

I have a shale green metallic 2002 and have the same dilemma. I was leaning toward the Bestop dark tan instead of the brighter spice. They might send samples if you call.
The Quadratec website has a drop down under the Replace-a-top that gives a good representational pic. I'm not encouraging you to buy from them, just a better view than the Bestop website.

Oh I absolutely would have gone that route but my hardware is completely worn out and I really want the sunrider option. Means I have to buy an entire top and they don't have dark tan for that 🙁

I think the killer combo is green tj with a khaki oem top or aftermarket. But aftermarket they are few and far between.

Khaki is similar to your hard top color in your pic. And i think that color combo is really nice.

Eit - i just reread your post. Ya. Khaki is sharp on a green tj.

Spice or light brown for sure! Not to mention the sun will not beat down on it as much on a hot day. personally, I think the Spice / Nutmeg color tops look great on all Wranglers regardless of color.

Last edited:
Reactions: fourpointzero
Spice is what I chose, simply because of summer heat. It only has an 18% window tent (downside)compared to the black’s 30%.

I think the color (spice) offers a little more “unique” contrast, than the more common black, just my opinion!
F40099D1-40B8-47C1-933A-7D7B6DD45B52.jpeg

Thanks for all the replies gents. I'll be going for spice, provided they're ever in stock 😂 Everything is sold out. I knew I shouldn't have waited so long.

Reactions: glowell222
Spice is what I chose, simply because of summer heat. It only has an 18% window tent (downside)compared to the black’s 30%.

I think the color (spice) offers a little more “unique” contrast, than the more common black, just my opinion!View attachment 251087

Looks good!

18% is darker than 30%. Do you wish is was lighter?

I personally like the windows super dark.

Reactions: Ephry73