Spider gear replacement— What is needed to prepare the axle to move?

Anyone have any input on the question above? Are these the correct gears and why the huge swing in price? Is one brand that much better? Are there brands to stay away from?

Thanks!

All TJ Dana 35's are the same. When you enter the year and model in the "make sure it fits" section, just make sure it shows YES and you'll be fine.

Reactions: Johnfromphilly
All TJ Dana 35's are the same. When you enter the year and model in the "make sure it fits" section, just make sure it shows YES and you'll be fine.
Done, it says it is a fit, I use that function on Amazon all the time but was not sure how much to trust it since they get so specific in the description. Thanks again, ordering now.

Reactions: hosejockey61
I finally got around to doing this project. Weather has been nice and I didn’t want to take the Jeep out of service. Rain all weekend here so I jumped in. The replacement of the spider gears was fairly straightforward and easy. I had to run to Home Depot to get the correct wrench for the cross pin bolt. It’s a 1/4” 12 sided wrench for anyone that ends up reading this thread and needs that info. The prep of jacking up the Jeep and getting everything ready took more time than the replacement of the gears

Regarding my original question, you DO have to remove the wheels to be able to push the axles in and remove the C-clip.

My reason for doing this was that I noticed on a photo (taken when I replaced the gasket and fluid a few months ago) that there was damage to the gears, they had holes developing. Pictures below. Interesting that one of the gears was perfectly fine and the three others all had damage.

Thanks for the help from members of the forum.

DAFF2635-B1A2-4975-8048-6C0FC12B8C2D.jpeg3E5AE0F6-816C-4696-8F10-3E252E737D6F.jpeg

finished product :
9A17687B-475A-40D4-A9C8-D63EC8927053.jpeg

Reactions: PNW Lj