Spline drive lug nuts

StG58

TJ Guru
Supporting Member
The TJ is getting new shooz on Friday, and Discount Tire has spline drive lug nut sets, or regular acorn style lug nuts sold as each. Are the spline drives a pain in the backsides? What are the upsides and downsides of each. I've always just used the regular acorn nuts and always put new ones on when I bought tires.

I see no advantage to them whatsoever. Not to mention, if you're stuck somewhere, you're more likely to find someone with a standards socket for removing your lugs versus a spline drive tool.

I had an old vehicle that came with spline drives installed. What a pain in the ass those were. I quickly got rid of them for standard lug nuts.

Reactions: Brantley and StG58
Skip them. When I first bought my jeep and got new wheels and tires for it, I opted for new lug nuts. I chose a wheel lock kit, not spline drive, but the concept is the same. I've lost 3 sockets in 3 years. It costs me 20 bucks every time and leaves me unable to take my wheel unless I'm willing to pound one of my existing good large sockets on and ruin it for that one time job.

What happens is I put the wheel lock key on the lug nut and forget to take it off, then I drive away and it falls off. After 3 times of doing that, I've had enough.

Just use standard lug nuts. If a thief wants your wheels, he's gonna figure out a way to get them.

And as Chris said, you'll be a lot more likely to find someone with a standard socket than your rare splined socket, if you were to ever need it someday.

Reactions: StG58 and Chris
And on the subject of a thief steeling your wheels and tires from your Jeep... HAHA, good luck.

I'm not saying it can't be done, but one of my wheels and tires probably weighs close to 100 lbs each, not to mention they're friggin' huge.

Stealing the lightweight rims on a Honda Civic is not only much more appealing to thieves, but also much more logical.

Reactions: StG58
Good call! Those spline lugs belong on import tuners. They get them anodized and such, LOL.

I'd go with the acorn ones also, and get the good ones with a lifetime warranty. I put McGard on mine, and am very happy with them.