Sport Bar Improvements Discussion

I wonder what it would have looked like with a stock cage? I don't think it would have been pretty. The windshield area seems to flatten on the first hit. The addition seems to have done it's job. It is a very small sample size and I will be searching for more documented roll overs before I do mine.
The only question that matters is would Tracy have survived with the stock cage and there is no doubt in my mind that she would have. That video has also been edited. I was on JU when it was first posted and I know the spotter and I know a couple of other folks on that run. The spotter turned to talk to one of the guys spectating and she started up the wall while he wasn't watching her. When he turned back, she was already too high to see him tell her to turn down off of it. It was only a few seconds but that was enough to get her in trouble.

• Wow
Reactions: Big John 04LJ
I am. It as worried about when the windshield is up and all is bolted together as intended. I am exploring options for when the windshield folds down and spreader bars are removed. Looks like custom work is the best option here, if I choose to go that route.

Reactions: reddvltj
I am. It as worried about when the windshield is up and all is bolted together as intended. I am exploring options for when the windshield folds down and spreader bars are removed. Looks like custom work is the best option here, if I choose to go that route.

With the stock configuration, the windshield glass within the frame is a structural component to the factory roll over protection system.

Either here or in the other thread, there was a comment about a true cage needing triangle bracing across the firewall and the windshield opening.

Our windshield folds down. And when it is folded, the support structure it provides is removed.

Is this still a case where nothing might be better than anything short of a "real cage"? In my head, in keep picturing the unsupported legs of these roll bar add ons going places we don't want them to go during an accident.

Reactions: Gollywomper
Glad this discussion came up again in regards to the angle/dash mounted bars. There is a real safety concern there.

With the stock configuration, the windshield glass within the frame is a structural component to the factory roll over protection system.

Either here or in the other thread, there was a comment about a true cage needing triangle bracing across the firewall and the windshield opening.

Our windshield folds down. And when it is folded, the support structure it provides is removed.

Is this still a case where nothing might be better than anything short of a "real cage"? In my head, in keep picturing the unsupported legs of these roll bar add ons going places we don't want them to go during an accident.
In regards to triangulation of the A pillar hoop it wouldn't be too hard to add between the dash bar and the top cross bar. As for the lower section where the A pillar braces bolt to the dash, the Poison Spider kit goes all the way to the floor and I would imagine it could be modified to tie it to the frame. Would there be a fesable way to reinforce the lower A pillar braces short of a door bar between A and B?

YJ with a front tie in. Follows the contour of the front dash/flat dash where the speakers are. Tied to the floor via plate. Passes through the floor and ties into the frame in the front.
295882C6-F018-495D-B4C2-D5E57D78DAB1.jpeg
882AA466-1174-4A71-8D86-A467FF8555D6.jpeg
5AF7DFB5-0995-47E7-89FB-936FA44F0819.jpeg

Rear factory cage passes through the floor in the rear of the tub and is welded to the frame.
B-pillar is tied to the frame as well with a plate pass through.
879EE6D8-3384-4B03-AA48-0ACC72BE5B3A.jpeg
Figured a lot of this was better than the factory roll bars.

Any help to build it better on my current YJ project would be appreciated.

Reactions: Steel City 06
Once the cage is tied to the frame the seats and restraints need to be mounted to the cage as well. If the seats are body mounted and cage is frame mounted what happens when the body moves and cage doesn’t? It is a big project to do a full cage correctly.

Once the cage is tied to the frame the seats and restraints need to be mounted to the cage as well. If the seats are body mounted and cage is frame mounted what happens when the body moves and cage doesn’t? It is a big project to do a full cage correctly.
The only issue I have with "cages," that are bolted to the floor as its final resting place is the idea of a hard impact causing the foot of the case to punch right through the floor.

I do like the idea of all the seats mounted to the cage and it is in my build notes for my current YJ build. I just have yet to do any digging and research on it.
IMG_1507.JPG

Reactions: Gollywomper
Where does your cage go after going through the dash? Does it pass through the floor, via plate, to the frame?

To a plate tied into the floor much like the factory B and C pillars. I don't see a benefit of a frame tiein unless you're going to a helmet and harness. It's just not the next logical step for safety.

To a plate tied into the floor much like the factory B and C pillars. I don't see a benefit of a frame tiein unless you're going to a helmet and harness. It's just not the next logical step for safety.
Is the install in your build thread? Many pics?
That style is most likely the route I will take, if/when ready.

Is there a concern that in the event of a roll over the plate and the bar welded to it could punch through the floor, compromising some measurable amount of integrity? Or is this train of thought completely silly?

Is there a concern that in the event of a roll over the plate and the bar welded to it could punch through the floor, compromising some measurable amount of integrity? Or is this train of thought completely silly?
Absolutely it can. That is why for complete safety a complete cage is recommended.
The line has to be drawn somewhere between stock and wearing a helmet and harness to go to the gas station.

Reactions: jjvw

Anything is possible and anytime you change the cage from factory it's difficult to predict what will happen.

OK, then how about this? I also like the idea of nothing around me when I have the windshield down. Old school. Like an old Jeep. Nothing but the main hoop and rear tubing on the Jeep. What if a guy were to build a beefy radiator hoop up front to help keep the nose and core support of the Jeep from collapsing, and then doubling down on the B pillar hoop. Something like this:

1568317996089.png

So, no tubes forward of the B-pillar when the windshield is down. Am I 'safer' than having untested tubing up front?

OK, then how about this? I also like the idea of nothing around me when I have the windshield down. Old school. Like an old Jeep. Nothing but the main hoop and rear tubing on the Jeep. What if a guy were to build a beefy radiator hoop up front to help keep the nose and core support of the Jeep from collapsing, and then doubling down on the B pillar hoop. Something like this:

View attachment 114876

So, no tubes forward of the B-pillar when the windshield is down. Am I 'safer' than having untested tubing up front?

If you make a grill hoop that high off the bumper you'll need to tie it into the a pillar for strength up at the top or else there's too much leverage on it. You're also making the assumption that you're going to roll on flat pavement and there's not going to be a big rock between the grill and the b pillar.

You need to decide if you're going after comfort (you said nothing further forward than the b pillar), or safety. And how much you're willing to compromise on either. Once you know what you want it'll be a lot easier to build for it.

Reactions: Chris
YJ with a front tie in. Follows the contour of the front dash/flat dash where the speakers are. Tied to the floor via plate. Passes through the floor and ties into the frame in the front.
View attachment 114845View attachment 114846View attachment 114847

Rear factory cage passes through the floor in the rear of the tub and is welded to the frame.
B-pillar is tied to the frame as well with a plate pass through.
View attachment 114848Figured a lot of this was better than the factory roll bars.

Any help to build it better on my current YJ project would be appreciated.
Go back to the part about diagonals creating triangles. There are none, that should not be true.

What about using the stock front spreader bars and adding to them? Doing that would keep stock integrity and add A pillar through dash with bars running above and below windshield.