Sport bar removal

someguysjeep

simple guy
Lifetime Supporting Member
does anyone know the size of the torx i need for the sport cage bolt........the big 1 in the B bar mid way up?
it has a stud in the center and won't allow the tool to fit without a hole in it.

and any tricks to removing the factory sealant they smear all over? the B bar mount pads are covered with it and being so cold makes it hard as a rock. can this just be warmed and scraped away or do i need to go at it with a chisel and wire wheel?

any tricks to removing the factory sealant they smear all over?
I took a pick to mine to get the sealant out of the torx heads. A small chisel type tool worked well to get the rest off. I tried heating it with a torch and it didn't make much of a difference although it was summer when I did it. Might make a difference for you in the cold. It sucks, but scrape away!

Reactions: someguysjeep
i narrowed it down to a 50 torx bit, but i don't have it with a center hole......... i do in 45 and 55 .....imagine that. i gave the peg a bump last night to see if it would bend and snap, guess i'll bump it a little harder.

then it's bedliner over the OE sealer to get off the bolt heads on the floor bracket.

I've broken out those center pins with a Phillips head wedged between the pin and side then rotate Phillips with impact driver.

see now
I took a pick to mine to get the sealant out of the torx heads. A small chisel type tool worked well to get the rest off. I tried heating it with a torch and it didn't make much of a difference although it was summer when I did it. Might make a difference for you in the cold. It sucks, but scrape away!
had you not mentioned it, i'd still be trying to clean hex heads..... the tool socket is filled and not apparent just looking at it, and i just from habit started to shape a hex around the cap.

the pin didn't wanna snap for me so i took a small burr to it. hopefully the other side will give in easier.

Reactions: hosejockey61
alright that went for shit. 3 of the 4 on the pass side stripped out 1/2 way out. i'm not gonna waste my time trying to reuse junk. i'm gonna cut off the heads and pull the bars then i'll go back with a small hole saw and remove the nuts. i kinda rather this bolts through the tub, not to the tub. this will support a brace from the frame rail, if needed, i can access the side wall mounts after my boat side cuts are made.

i got the speaker pods removed and the bar cover.
but how does the sport bar padding come off? i see a few xmas trees, but what am i not seeing ? is it all plastic xmas trees?
i don't wanna ruin it, it's in great shape.