SpotX satellite communication

Good to know about the Garmin, coverage is king not to much else matters if you don’t have a signal. I know one thing for sure that you are going to feel way more comfortable out there knowing you can get help if you need it.

Reactions: reddvltj
Good to know about the Garmin, coverage is king not to much else matters if you don’t have a signal. I know one thing for sure that you are going to feel way more comfortable out there knowing you can get help if you need it.
Case in point... in 2008 when my father was doing the mail route I have now he had an unfortunate accident on the snowmobile. He ended up breaking the radius bone in his left arm when he hit a boulder buried in the snow off the side of the road. He ended up having to walk about half to 3/4 of a mile back up the mountain road in about 2 feet of new snow to get signal with the Global Star phone. The Iridium phone didn't have any dead spots unless there was heavy cloud cover.

I've been doing a little research into devices like these because I have a mail contract route that in the winter I am on a snowmobile where there is no cellular or land line phone service available. So far the Garmin is by far outshining the Spotx, mainly because of satellite coverage. The latest video I watched has some good information.
You may have seen this link I posted above.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/plb-personal-locating-beacon.198641/
It’s an excellent thread on the subject.
The Park rangers I work with at the Grand Canyon just received 6 of the Garmin units to use for back country communications during SAR events

You may have seen this link I posted above.
https://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/plb-personal-locating-beacon.198641/
It’s an excellent thread on the subject.
The Park rangers I work with at the Grand Canyon just received 6 of the Garmin units to use for back country communications during SAR events
Im not doubting the garmin is good but the main thing that is drawing me to the spot is the additional coverage it offers. It offers both SAR recovery insurance and off road recovery and towing insurance. All this for less than garmin. I get the Garmin devices also have gps mapping which isn’t why I’m getting the device. The coverage for both devices in the continental US is comparable but why spend $20-30 a month for less coverage and insurance? That’s why I was looking at Spot specifically. I was mostly curious if anyone had used the off-road services, I’ve watched several reviews on it with older devices that didn’t allow communication with recovery teams and it worked ok but the recovery people had no idea what to expect. The new spot you can go back and forth with them and get an ETA and such.

Im not doubting the garmin is good but the main thing that is drawing me to the spot is the additional coverage it offers. It offers both SAR recovery insurance and off road recovery and towing insurance. All this for less than garmin. I get the Garmin devices also have gps mapping which isn’t why I’m getting the device. The coverage for both devices in the continental US is comparable but why spend $20-30 a month for less coverage and insurance? That’s why I was looking at Spot specifically. I was mostly curious if anyone had used the off-road services, I’ve watched several reviews on it with older devices that didn’t allow communication with recovery teams and it worked ok but the recovery people had no idea what to expect. The new spot you can go back and forth with them and get an ETA and such.
I won't dispute having vehicle recovery would be nice, but from my own personal experience with global star and iridium I know with out a doubt that Global Star's US coverage is not as reliable as Iridium's coverage in mountainous terrain. Having more satellites in the sky has its advantages.

Just an FYI: I pay $13.53 per month for a year round plan on my Garmin.

On this plan I get unlimited use of (3) preloaded texts and 10 free texts that I compose per month. Any additional text messages that I compose cost 10 cents per text. (Big deal!)

This plan has proven to be completely adequate for my needs.

The thread I linked in an above posts contains comments by a Moab SAR professional (Moabian). His SAR team uses the Garmin for communications in the field instead of a SAT phone.
Apparently they find the Garmin a more reliable communication device.

The thread I linked in an above posts contains comments by a Moab SAR professional (Moabian). His SAR team uses the Garmin for communications in the field instead of a SAT phone.
Apparently they find the Garmin a more reliable communication device.
That's the biggest reason I have been looking into these type of Sat Com devices. I currently use a Sat phone and unless I am in my truck with a mobile antenna set up I have to stop some where take the phone out and find a spot with service before I can call out. As for incoming calls... That's not realistic at all. I have talked to a few of the Outfitters that guide hunts and they love the back and forth communication ability with the GPS based communication units they have. The ones that started out with Spotx have all switched to inReach.

when I was shopping the information I found said the garmin network was better and more reliable, depending on where you need it. for most of the western hemisphere the coverage is good enough on both that it then really boiled down to other things I wanted. At the time I looked the spot was good enough coverage everywhere I go and worked more friendly as a stand alone device for 2 way communication, you could pair the Garmin with a cell phone and text just as easy independent of a cell signal I was more fond of a stand alone device something that would hold a charge in the battery for a couple of weeks and the cell phone for me was just another possible weak link.

Spot off road coverage is reasonable and accessing the service was in the last upgrade supposedly making that easier, the recovery insurance if they send a team to get you out was cheep enough made me at least feel better having it and I don't remember reading anything in particular that caused me to worry, I can sort out the details when the dust settles if something happens as long as they find me in time, lol.

spot was good enough coverage everywhere I go and worked

That right there is the biggest point that people need to remember.

Cost wise The Spotx is less expensive to purchase and has lower monthly prices offering a little more bang for the buck!!
My advise to anyone who is considering either the Spotx or any of the inReach units, find someone that has used either or both in the areas you want to use one in. Both have SOS buttons, both have 2 way communication. But if you don't have signal they may as well be paper weights!!!

Reactions: cclarke802
Aren't too many places in the US you can't hit a 2m repeater with a $40 handheld. It's an option to consider if you are on a budget. The upside of radio in the United States is people listening speak American. Satellite is certainly very useful in places where the natives are hostile or just plain speak another language. Just an option for those on a budget to consider, nothing wrong with satellites. Not that I would ever recommend this but the cheap UV-5R which can be had for $25 also can send/revive on SAR frequencies, the ones the helicopter looking for you is on.

If you just want a PLB that is emergency only. And does not require a monthly fee. $279:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/revi...nal-locator-beacon/ocean-signal-rescueme-plb1
It does not allow you to send messages. It's just a locator beacon that sends out an emergency signal to authorities. But it also sends out a local signal that helps rescuers find you once they get out their trudging thru the brush. Better for hiking probably. As you'll probably be on a known trail in a Jeep. But if you careened off the road into a gully. They can use that locator beacon to find you on the ground as well.

That site above has very comprehensive reviews of all of them. Tested by world class trekkers and hikers. It puts the garmin at number one. Here's the list from 2019 reviewed with specs on each:

https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topics/camping-and-hiking/best-personal-locator-beacon

From there website, but it does not really explain what they mean by winching / extraction services. Does this mean they will send a team out to get my jeep with a broken axle 5 miles into the Rubicon Trail. Or does this mean if I slip off the road into a ditch ?

• Up to five tows per year
  • Up to 50 miles each tow
  • Winching/extrication services

From there website, but it does not really explain what they mean by winching / extraction services. Does this mean they will send a team out to get my jeep with a broken axle 5 miles into the Rubicon Trail. Or does this mean if I slip off the road into a ditch ?

I'm sure that means on at least a dirt road. A wrecker has to get there. I don't see a wrecker getting up the Rubicon to help you. lol.

An answer to my own question, I found this on the web from spot

What type of roadside assistance responder will arrive at my location?
Author: Article Reference #:AA-00072 Views:5272 Date Added:2009-05-06 12:00 AM Last Updated:2009-05-13 05:19 PM3.45 Rating/ 21 Voters
ico-rating-y.gif
ico-rating-y.gif
ico-rating-y.gif
ico-rating-g.gif
ico-rating-g.gif
When the roadside assistance response center does not have direct interaction with the customer as to the vehicle type, it will send out a flat bed vehicle capable of towing most vehicles in most situations. All responders will have fuel, tire changing equipment, lockout equipment and jump starting equipment.

Well my AAA will do all of this plus bring a battery if I need one