Spray Painting New Shocks

Ramona Wrangler

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
Anybody spray paint their shocks to go with color scheme of your rig? Rust is not really a factor here in SOCAL, but I've read Ranchos have a tendency to rust sooner than later. Or spray fluid film on them, or?

I painted my Ranchos just because the factory paint was so bad. I'm not a fan of color matched suspension parts but if you like it then go for it. You can always re-paint them if you change your mind.

This is what's on my rig now...switching over to the white Ranchos which may not clash. I could just paint them black with yellow boots,
IMG_1430.jpeg

Reactions: JMT and NOTNSUV
On my Ranchos I cut off the boots, taped up the exposed bare shock rods, did a light sanding on the painted bodies, and sprayed everything satin black. Left them to dry and cure for a few days, removed the tape, and then installed.

The paint still looks good after a little over a year and counting.

https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/what-did-you-do-to-your-tj-today.1784/post-834872
This is what i did too. Been three years and they're still holding up well

I don't offroad in white pants, so I don't know why I would put something white under a Jeep. My steering stabilizer is still white and I hate every time I see it.

I painted mine silver. Mostly because I had some silver paint on hand from when I painted my front diff cover. So it's color matched to that, doesn't stand out and look like muddy ass like white, and from a distance actually looks like a higher end shock.

I prefer my shocks to be white and privileged. :cool: They haven't rusted in 5 years and we get snow/ice and have salted roads.
I have no "white" on my rig, except for the driver...I haven't decided yet, but may end up spray painting them semi gloss black with yellow boots or yellow with black boots

Last edited:
They'll be fine where you are if you want to leave them white, the finish will outlast the shock. Unless Ramona somehow manages to get within a mile of the ocean you're good.

I wipe mine down every once in a while with some cleaner…. The finish holds up fine if you clean them once a year!.. never really thought of painting something that was already painted from a factory that painted them to hold up as being a shock in a greasy dirty area of the vehicle!.. but some do I suppose

never really thought of painting something that was already painted from a factory that painted them to hold up as being a shock in a greasy dirty area of the vehicle!
I read somewhere that a few people don't have oil leaks to protect their stuff from corrosion. Too bad for them, it's all a balance like a finely tuned ecosystem.

I read somewhere that a few people don't have oil leaks to protect their stuff from corrosion. Too bad for them, it's all a balance like a finely tuned ecosystem.
Some of the best and most preserved vehicles leaked oil on most of the under carriage and it preserved and protected it… so I guess it is a balance eco system.. clean you stuff and it won’t be corroded .. or don’t… and hope your oil leak does it

Reactions: pagrey