Spring replacement help (Rock Krawler or Metalcloak?)

Damageinc

I'm looking to replace springs and shocks on my 05 4L 6 speed man tj. I have front bumper, rock sliders, and rear bumper with tire carrier with 35's. The Jeep came with what I think is a 4" rough country lift kit because it has lower control arms and the 1" tranny drop. I'm considering rock krawler 3.5 tripple rate springs and fox 2.0 ifp shocks. My Jeep is a daily driver 90% of the time and dune riding 10%. I've read different things about the Rock Krawler and was wondering if anyone has experience with the Metalcloaks.

The RK’s front springs have a free length of 19.87“ but the don’t say what they are when fully compressed, my guess is 7.5”
The MC’s front springs have a free length of 22.5” and a solid height of 6.5”

Reactions: DuncLJ
Why are you considering the Rock Krawler and Metalcloak, but not the Currie springs?

@jjvw may have some numbers. I'd take Blaine, but given that Blaine would just as soon throw those Metalcloak springs in the dumpster, I don't think he'll be much help on that one :ROFLMAO:

@toximus may or may not know something.

Why are you considering the Rock Krawler and Metalcloak, but not the Currie springs?

@jjvw may have some numbers. I'd take Blaine, but given that Blaine would just as soon throw those Metalcloak springs in the dumpster, I don't think he'll be much help on that one :ROFLMAO:

@toximus may or may not know something.
Does Currie offer a 3.5” spring?

Why do you want to swap out your current suspension? What do you like/not like about it?

If you are after the most useable overall spring travel, the answer isn't Metalcloak. If RK truly is 19.87 and 7.5, that isn't the answer either.

Quibbling over 3.5" and 4" is a waste of time when the actual lift height is entirely dependent on the weight of your Jeep and there also being no consistency between manufacturers in how an advertised lift height is determined.

If you are after the most useable overall spring travel, the answer isn't Metalcloak. If RK truly is 19.87 and 7.5, that isn't the answer either.

Quibbling over 3.5" and 4" is a waste of time when the actual lift height is entirely dependent on the weight of your Jeep and there also being no consistency between manufacturers in how an advertised lift height is determined.
Can you give specifics?
Currie 4” dual rate has 22.6” FL solid height = ?

Can you give specifics?
Currie 4” dual rate has 22.6” FL solid height = ?

Metalcloak 3.5"
Front
Free Length: 22.5"
Travel: 16"
Solid Height: 6.5"

Rear
Free Length:: 19"
Travel: 12.5"
Solid Height: 6.5"

Metalcloak 4.5"
Front
Free Length: 24"
Travel: 14.75"
Solid Height: 9.25"

Rear
Free Length: 20.375"
Travel: 13.625"
Solid Height: 6.75"

Currie 4"
Front
Free Length: 22.6"
Travel: 14.1
Solid Height: 8.5"

Rear
Free Length: 17.75"
Travel: 13.25"
Solid Height: 4.5"

LJ Rear
Free Length: 18.25"
Travel: 13.75"
Solid Height: 4.5"

The big issues are with the rear when the coil bind heights exceed the otherwise normal amount of bump stop extension.

I don’t think the OP is interested in 4.5” MC, he asked about 3.5 RK Triple Rate springs and 3.5 MC Dual Rate. It looks like he has some added weight with sliders, front bumper, and tire carrier rear bumper but no mention of a winch. So on paper the important numbers are up and down from nominal ride height To which the Currie rear allows considerably more, no info on the RK’s and the MC has better front numbers, again not much info on the RK’s

Currie 4” rear (.5” taller lift)
RH = 12” nominal (Standard 8” + Lift Height)
FL = 17.75”
SH = 4.5”
Travel = 13.25” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 7.5” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = 5.75” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Currie 4” front (.5” taller lift)
RH = 16” nominal (Standard 12” + Lift Height)
FL = 22.6”
SH = 8.5”
Travel = 14.1” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Down = 6.6” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

MC 3.5” rear
RH = 11.5” nominal (Standard 8” + Lift Height)
FL = 19”
SH = 6.5”
Travel = 12.5” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 5” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = 7.5” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

MC 3.5” front
RH = 15.5” nominal (Standard 12” + Lift Height)
FL = 22.5
SH = 6.5”
Travel = 16” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 9” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = 7” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Rock Krawler 3.5” Triple Rate rear
FL = ?
SH = ?
Travel = ? (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = ? (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = ? (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Rock Krawler 3.5” Triple Rate front
FL = 19.87” ?
SH = ?
Down = (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Reactions: jjvw
I just installed RK 4.5" springs f/r. FYI, front is 4.5" and rear is 4" at ride height. I called RK wondering why I was only getting 4" on rear height and they said they lower rear to adjust for rake. So, 3.5" springs would net 3.5" in front and 3" in rear, assuming no excessive weight on rig.

I just installed RK 4.5" springs f/r. FYI, front is 4.5" and rear is 4" at ride height. I called RK wondering why I was only getting 4" on rear height and they said they lower rear to adjust for rake. So, 3.5" springs would net 3.5" in front and 3" in rear, assuming no excessive weight on rig.
You would think they would tell you that up front, I would rather have that extra half inch for loading since that’s where all the weight goes.

Reactions: taylormade73
You would think they would tell you that up front, I would rather have that extra half inch for loading since that’s where all the weight goes.
That's what I said when I spoke with them. They essentially said tough luck since they were already installed. I asked how else would we know until we install them since you don't mention that fact in any of the literature. I said I wouldn't have purchased them knowing that. They then offered the 5.5 at their cost, which will net 5.5 front and 5 rear.

That's what I said when I spoke with them. They essentially said tough luck since they were already installed. I asked how else would we know until we install them since you don't mention that fact in any of the literature. I said I wouldn't have purchased them knowing that. They then offered the 5.5 at their cost, which will net 5.5 front and 5 rear.
That doesn’t solve anything. Would be easier to do a 1/2” spacer. I did the MetalCloak 4.5 springs and netted5” both front and back, that gave me the following numbers;

MC 4.5” rear (net 5”)
RH = 13” nominal (Standard 8” + Lift Height)
FL = 20.375
SH = 6.5”
Travel = 13.625” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 6.5” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = 7.375” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

MC 4.5” front. (net 5”)
RH = 17” nominal (Standard 12” + Lift Height)
FL = 24”
SH = 9.25
Travel = 14.75” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 7.75” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)

19 year old Rubicon Express 4.5” springs
8545293D-BFFB-4A9D-8528-28FD7900E941.jpeg

new MetalCloak 4.5 nets 5”
5E981BCE-3029-4B0D-9AD1-F169A66252C2.jpeg

Last edited:
Reactions: taylormade73
I don’t think the OP is interested in 4.5” MC, he asked about 3.5 RK Triple Rate springs and 3.5 MC Dual Rate. It looks like he has some added weight with sliders, front bumper, and tire carrier rear bumper but no mention of a winch. So on paper the important numbers are up and down from nominal ride height To which the Currie rear allows considerably more, no info on the RK’s and the MC has better front numbers, again not much info on the RK’s

Currie 4” rear (.5” taller lift)
RH = 12” nominal (Standard 8” + Lift Height)
FL = 17.75”
SH = 4.5”
Travel = 13.25” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Down = 5.75” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Currie 4” front (.5” taller lift)
RH = 16” nominal (Standard 12” + Lift Height)
FL = 22.6”
SH = 8.5”
Travel = 14.1” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Down = 6.6” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

MC 3.5” rear
FL = 19”
SH = 6.5”
Travel = 12.5” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 5” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)
Down = 7.5” (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

MC 3.5” front
FL = 22.5
SH = 6.5”
Travel = 16” (Up + Down = Travel or FL - SH = Travel)
Up = 9” (coil binds) (RH - SH = Up)

Rock Krawler 3.5” Triple Rate rear
FL = ?
SH = ?
Down = ? (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)

Rock Krawler 3.5” Triple Rate front
FL = 19.87” ?
SH = ?
Down = (coil un-seats) (FL - RH = Down)
Hi, I'm the op. One of my springs broke and I'm looking to upgrade for better ride quality. With my current setup I only have a slight drive line vibration at 35 - 45 mph and no sye which I don't wanna do right now. My goal is to maintain same ride height and improve ride quality. 90% daily driver 10 % dunes. I believe the lift on it now is a 4" from rough country. I called and the numbers they gave me seem to match. 20 3/4 unsprung and 17 rh front and 16 1/8 unsprung 12 1/4 rh rear, which when I measure springs i get 17 f and 12 r. I read about the triple rate doing and it sounded like a good idea, when I called rk they said the 3.5" would be comparable to the 4" rc. I was planning on paying springs with fox 2.0 non resi shocks.

I’m a big fan of the Fox 2.0 IFP’s. Standard spring height measured from top of coil to bottom in front is 12” and 8” rear with no lift, if you’re getting 17” then you have 5 inches of lift. in general any lift over 3.5 inches usually always requires an SYE, adjustable upper control arms, and a Double Cardan Drive shaft. As far as the RK’s I have no experience with them, I have no complaints with my MC’s, and the Currie 4” are top shelf.