sputtering engine sometime

Frank

TJ Enthusiast
Supporting Member
I have a 2005 4.0 X TJ and need suggestions. Cranks great, Idles great accelerates great but after getting up to speed and just sort of coasting the engine sputters. Don't hear any exhaust leaks or don't hear any vacuum leaks under hood. Any suggestions on what to try or look for?

Watch your RPM's when it sputters. If they drop, it could be your IAC or TPS sensor going out. You can also try removing the two screws that hold in the IAC, remove it and scrub it with intake cleaner and a tooth brush.

Mine was doing the same thing. I had to replace the PCU. What I did was change all the small stuff like the IAC and TPS but it didnt fix it. just a heads up a PCU ended up costing me $1400 to have it installed, re-programed, and everything.

Good Luck

Mine was doing the same thing. I had to replace the PCU. What I did was change all the small stuff like the IAC and TPS but it didnt fix it. just a heads up a PCU ended up costing me $1400 to have it installed, re-programed, and everything.

Good Luck
Ouch!!! Man, I hope that's not it!

Update: I just received the new TPS (IAC still in the mail). Even though I didn't think it would make a difference, I thought what the hell, might as well put it in a see what happens. After the install, so far so good. The idle is much higher now, right around 1000 RPM's. Before the idle was around 800. I'll give it a few more days to make sure nothing changes.

Update: I just received the new TPS (IAC still in the mail). Even though I didn't think it would make a difference, I thought what the hell, might as well put it in a see what happens. After the install, so far so good. The idle is much higher now, right around 1000 RPM's. Before the idle was around 800. I'll give it a few more days to make sure nothing changes.
You should really be idling somewhere in the 750 range, 1000 seems high did you cause a vacuum leak during the replacement

It takes the PCM a little while to learn the parameters of new devices like the TPS. You can speed that learning process by disconnecting the battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes and then reconnecting it.

It takes the PCM a little while to learn the parameters of new devices like the TPS. You can speed that learning process by disconnecting the battery's negative lead for 3-4 minutes and then reconnecting it.
Good point, the high idle may just be a temporary learning curve.

Good Luck
Ouch is right! Hope it does not turn out to be this but with my luck, who knows, will try several things first. TPS and IAC Cleaning.
Thanks for the replies so far.