Sputter's Return to Stock

Wouldn't you know it? I get everything running right and ready to sell and now the transmission is shot. Transmission shop took a look at it and found metal and water in the pan. $2000-$2700 depending upon what they find. So here are my alternatives:
  • Do the repair for ~$2500 - No way I am spending that much money for a transmission.
  • LS swap for ~$10k - Would be a fun project and something I can take my time on. Not sure I want to though.
  • Found a used Jeep 4.0 and 42rle for $2500. Could upgrade the powerplant and transmission for ~$3000
  • Get a used transmission, throw it in there and sell it as is. ~1000.
What say you?

Wouldn't you know it? I get everything running right and ready to sell and now the transmission is shot. Transmission shop took a look at it and found metal and water in the pan. $2000-$2700 depending upon what they find. So here are my alternatives:
  • Do the repair for ~$2500 - No way I am spending that much money for a transmission.
  • LS swap for ~$10k - Would be a fun project and something I can take my time on. Not sure I want to though.
  • Found a used Jeep 4.0 and 42rle for $2500. Could upgrade the powerplant and transmission for ~$3000
What say you?
is it currently a manual or auto?

What say you?
Option 1- I agree. No way.
Option 2- The funnest and the one we all want to see you do.
Option 3 & 4- both make sense with regard to dollars (you seem to have the skills and I'd bet the 4.0L would make the Jeep sell for at least +$1500 vs the 4 cyl. but if you just want to be done, then the used transmission is the choice).

Reactions: Vasq
Well wifey nixed the fun ones. Apparently the thought of me throwing another $10k out the door and nixxing her car upgrade didn’t sit well with her. 🤔

So the used transmission is the route I’m taking. Probably be a couple of weeks before I can get to it. Currently the garage is occupied with a Disco 2 that has diff problems. 🤬

• Sad
Reactions: Woodrow