97 TJ sputtering and backfiring

Eberdt123

Hello, my 1997 4.0 has recently had some problems with backfire and loss of power within the first minute of driving. The jeep normally acts fine after about 2 minutes of driving and within a minute of turning on the jeep, but there is a minute in between that the car likes to act up and not work right. After the jeep's hissy fit is done and it decided to work which is normally resolved by shifting it into neutral and revving it two or three good times, it is obvious one cylinder is missing sometimes but sometimes it decides to work. I am very confused at what the issue could be and was wondering if anybody else had a similar issue. I was going to start with the fuel pump but before I spent any money I thought I would consult this forum. Any help is appreciated! Thank you

Usually back fires are caused by a rich or lean condition caused by a dirty fuel injector, a dirty valve seat, pitted valve or possibly even a bent valve.
Pull your spark plugs and inspect them to see which cylinder has the problem.

Definitely pull spark plugs and see what’s up. Might be worth it to take off the distributor cap and inspect it and the rotar.

My 97 was backfiring badly like you said in the first minute of driving. It would get moving into first then putter/popping and lose power. I did spark plugs and wires and it didn't make a difference. Replaced the throttle body (not just cleaned it) and the misfiring went away.

should I also run through some gas line cleaner of some sort or would I just be wasting money? the problem has been going on for a while, I don't think its the gas lines.