Squeaking Over Bumps and Starting in First

Carrington59

Got a 2006 Manual Rubicon and had some squeaking start recently. The noise started after I installed a Savvy/MORE BL and MML. It sounds like its coming from passenger side of engine bay but tough to pinpoint. The squeaking happens when I start going out of first as well as when I go over bumps. I rechecked the torque on all the bolts I adjusted and they all seem fine. I also changed all my coils about a week before but didn't notice squeak when I took it for test drive after. I have checked body mounts, motor mounts, shocks, track bar, transmission/skid bolts, and sway bar and they all seem fine. Just driving me nuts. Any ideas?

I forget the specifics, but there is an occasional interference that occurs between the engine mount and the frame mount after a motor mount lift. A sliver of material needs to be ground away.

Reactions: Feralkid
Thanks for the ideas guys. A little tough to get under and check since it only happens when its moving really (starting in first gear or hitting a bump). I checked for the interference at mount and it seemed fine there. The noise almost sounds like something suspended is bouncing. I checked exhaust and did not see any interference there. Just want to find what it is cause it is driving me crazy. Got a cross country trip coming up in a month and just want to make sure its nothing critical that leaves me stranded.

I did my shocks and springs a month ago and spent the next two weeks chasing random noises. Waited another two weeks and it went away. If you can’t replicate it by jumping on the bumpers, it may need a bit more time for everything to settle.

I also have an 04 rubicon and installed the more motor mount lift and savvy body lift. Also did a flat skid. Have the same squeak, can’t seem to figure it out. Sounds like it’s coming from passenger side. I’m thinking trans hitting the tunnel that I can’t see.

I had a squeek I was chasing down for a long time and like you I could only get it to happen while driving until I jumped on my bumped a couple of times and I heard it. It was the hood. Don't think it's the hood for you but maybe try jumping on the bumper.

Reactions: kmbarreiros
I have found the noise. It was my stick shift shaking/vibrating and squeaking. Popped the (fake) leather boot off and cant see what its hitting against. When I put on the MML, i loosened the transmission four skid plate bolts and it slid all the way up. Anyone else have this noise? Know what the interference is? I will try to problem solve and come back with whatever solution I can find.

Reactions: red02tj
I am thinking it is a bad transmission mount bushing. Probably worn out over 16 years. Anyone replaced one before/tips for installing new one?

Forgot to give an update after changing transmission mount. Greatly reduced the noise and movement in stick. That said, neither are completely gone. Can still faintly hear noise and stick has a little bit of bounce starting in first or going over bumps. Is there something else I should tighten up? Or just write it off as Jeep stuff?

Yep no problem. A lot of what brings me to this forum is trying to get things diagnosed and fixed fast as I could figure most things out with time. Just trying to help others who might be on a time crunch or just dont want to deal with the hassle.