Squeaking sound in dash

Pavlos25

Last edited:
Check your rear view mirror, my jeep makes a similar sound from there. I do have the mirror with the temperature and compass and it sounds like it comes from the dash.

Do you have an aftermarket radio? I had a similar squeak due to the head unit the PO installed without the proper support so the case of the head unit would rub on things inside the dash. Like you, the squeak was more noticeable at idle when engine causes more vibration.

if you guys are hearing a squeak, I resolved a squeak by replacing 2 missing 8 or 10mm nuts below the defrost vent cover which im assuming hold the dash in place. suspect during assembly they just figured hanging the dash from the 2 studs mounted to the firewall was sufficient enough.

simple fix for what it was. pulled the cover, installed 2 nuts & tightened in place. noise was gone.

I had to loosen my cluster, add silicone and retighten the screws- worked great.

Where is Nicosia? Do you have any camels there?

I had a squeak/clicking noise I chased for almost a year. Sounded from the driver seat like it was coming from above and behind the radio. Took the dash apart several times. It turned out to be the garage door remote I had clipped on the sun visor. The button in it was rattling. Keep chasing it. You will find it.

So I have a PROBLEM.. HELP!! I've dealt with the squeak ever since 2 years ago. It's coming from deep within the middle of the dash. I had to disassemble the entire dash, (including taking the subframe skeleton out) and while having everything out redid the wire harnesses and installed a new rocker switch panel.

*An issue I've also had was a broken vent flapper in the ac/heat distribution box in the middle of the dash (tucked up against the firewall and held in place with clips and screws). After I fixed the flappers and installed new vacuum lines that works perfectly.

To minimize opportunities for squeaks, I folded the windshield down, tightened ALL nuts and screws (in cabin tightened all nuts, bolts, screws against firewall) (outside tightened A and B piller bolts), PB blasted and silicone sprayed the hollow insides of the firewall AND firewall bolts, nuts, etc..., checked the outside cowel screws (installed new screws with rubber backings), tightened engine bay firewall heat shield and exhaust heat shield, tightened the air intake Manifold inside the engine bay (against the firewall), redid all the wire harness clips in the engine bay with Christmas tree zip ties, and even went so far as to dremel part of the ac/heat distribution box to see if things are rubbing (like the aluminum tubes that come thru the firewall to the condenser behind the main flappers). STILL squeaks as bad as your squeaky bed on a steamy night. I'm at a loss. It's none of the drivetrain or suspension, not coming from the engine bay and not from the gas tank SP as I replaced that last year with rubber bushings. Not body bushings as I redid those over winter, and definitely not the engine as the oil Pan leaks and has coated everything nicely with oil in the engine bay 😀.

Any recommendations? It squeaks upon acceleration or hitting even the slightest bump in the road. Metal on metal.

This is the noise. It's right in the middle of the dash between firewall and backside of distribution box.

Attachments

• Snapchat-1473436449.mp4
    25.5 MB
X18. I have a tuffy glovebox and soiund dampners behind the speakers. Any solutions??