Squealing / metallic scraping noise when accelerating from 0-20 mph

Mcnenc1

TJ Enthusiast
Fairly loud squealing/metallic scratching sounds ONLY when accelerating from 1mph to about 20mph after that it goes away. Only sounds in the back or maybe directly underneath me. If it’s raining it will never sound. Drive shaft and u joints are original could it be that??? I’m starting notice some rough acceleration and an audible clinch from underneath when I throw it into drive and reverse. Idk.

2004 4.0L 42RLE auto 2.5 in lift (lift was done prior owner and now the rear axel is off centered)

Wish I could post a video on hear so you guys could hear it too. Such a strange loud annoying sound like metal on metal screeching.

Sounds like it might be a u-joint.

Metal-on-metal like this will leave visible marks typically. You should get under and very throughly inspect it and look for any worn metal areas on the drivetrain. If the noise is this bad, there's bound to be some visual wear.

Reactions: Mcnenc1
Cool. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll be looking at it closely tonight and get back to you all sometime tomorrow with photos and see if we can get a proper diagnosis.

Reactions: reddvltj