SS SYE install at home

armaunr

Okay, so after a couple of posts and a lot of questions, I think I'm at the point where I am seriously considering installing a SYE kit in my driveway, by myself. I do, however, have a lot more questions.

1) Is this realistic to do myself? I'd say my working on cars ability is a 4/10, I can do the basics, just not much more.
2) Is there a list of absolutely everything that I will need for this to be done? Including actual parts for the Jeep and tools to get the job done. The only non-stock parts on my Jeep are parts from a 2.5 inch RC lift, so anything other than those parts or stock parts from a 2002 X, I'll need to purchase. I also have pretty much no car tools, just small hand tools that I use for little things here and there.
3) How long will it take me about? I know it's impossible to say specifically, but looking for something like either a day, 2-3 days, a week, something like that.
4) lastly, absolutely any tips, tricks, obscure (or obvious) knoweldge would be incredibly helpful.
5) just had to edit real quick and ask one more question. Tom Woods driveshaft or Adams driveshaft? They seem to be regarded as the top choices. And the SYE I'm going to go with is the JB Super Short SYE.

Thanks!

Installed my advance adapters sye in probably 4-5hrs including removing and reinstalling the case, plan on a day though. I used a regular socket/ratchet set, gearwrenchs for unbolting case from the trans, a 1/2" impact for removing and installing the driveshaft yokes. And managed to use a needle nose and snap ring pliers for doing both the snap rings and lock rings. Also rtv for sealing it up. If I ever need to deal with the lock rings again I will definitely be buying the lock ring pliers, was a major pain without them. Knew it before hand but figured why buy them for one time use, oh no. Bad idea. It's also recommended that you use a torque wrench for tightening the nuts for the yokes but I haven't had any issues just using a impact.

Trust me, I know the feel of kinda feeling overwhelmed by this kinda of stuff but just tackle it.

My dad is a plumber and knows a LOT but never really got into technical vehicle stuff or some other things I've learned to do. When I was like 15 I wanted to get into metal fab so he bought a smaller welder and I taught myself to weld. Now certainly not certified but haven't came across anything I couldn't handle in the last couple years. Needed a cutting torch for a offset smoker I was building. So we bought a torch setup and I taught myself to use a torch. Definitely a lot to learn but so rewarding in the end. Now I've had a XJ and two TJs. They have taught me so much. Between the rebuilding the top end on a 4.0 because a piston got a hole melted through it, rebuilding transfer cases, installing SYEs, installing lifts and many other things, teaching myself as I go, I feel comfortable with pretty much anything my TJ will need. If I don't know how to do it yet, I'll learn by doing it the first time. Next big project is gonna be swapping in a new transmission(diagnosed with 5th gear retaining ring gone).

Lots of this stuff isn't near as complicated as it seems once you actually start taking it apart and figuring out how it works.

I owe my dad a lot for not for not trying to discourage me when I have wanted to take on something that neither of use had no experience in. And now at 19 being able to acquire a job as a full time John Deere tech.

Last edited:
Trust me, I know the feel of kinda feeling overwhelmed by this kinda of stuff but just tackle it.

My dad is a plumber and knows a LOT but never really got into technical vehicle stuff or some other things I've learned to do. When I was like 15 I wanted to get into metal fab so he bought a smaller welder and I taught myself to weld. Now certainly not certified but haven't came across anything I couldn't handle in the last couple years. Needed a cutting torch for a offset smoker I was building. So we bought a torch setup and I taught myself to use a torch. Definitely a lot to learn but so rewarding in the end. Now I've had a XJ and two TJs. They have taught me so much. Between the rebuilding the top end on a 4.0 because a piston got a hole melted through it, rebuilding transfer cases, installing SYEs, installing lifts and many other things I feel comfortable with pretty much anything my TJ will need. If I don't know how to do it yet, I'll learn by doing it the first time. Next big project is gonna be swapping in a new transmission(diagnosed with 5th gear retaining ring gone).

Lots of this stuff isn't near as complicated as it seems once you actually start taking it apart and figuring out how it works.

I owe my dad a lot for not for not trying to discourage me when I have wanted to take on something that neither of use had no experience in. And now at 19 being able to acquire a job as a full time John Deere tech.
Wow, thats awesome. Thank you so much for the encouring words and the tips, I really appreciate it!

Reactions: TJ Starting
Installed my advance adapters sye in probably 4-5hrs including removing and reinstalling the case, plan on a day though. I used a regular socket/ratchet set, gearwrenchs for unbolting case from the trans, a 1/2" impact for removing and installing the driveshaft yokes. And managed to use a needle nose and snap ring pliers for doing both the snap rings and lock rings. Also rtv for sealing it up. If I ever need to deal with the lock rings again I will definitely be buying the lock ring pliers, was a major pain without them. Knew it before hand but figured why buy them for one time use, oh no. Bad idea. It's also recommended that you use a torque wrench for tightening the nuts for the yokes but I haven't had any issues just using a impact.
Quick question, what was the downtime of installing the SYE, then ordering the driveshaft after youve gotten all your measurements, getting that, and installing that? Does your Jeep just have to sit until you recieve the new driveshaft or can you use the old one until the new one arrives?

Quick question, what was the downtime of installing the SYE, then ordering the driveshaft after youve gotten all your measurements, getting that, and installing that? Does your Jeep just have to sit until you recieve the new driveshaft or can you use the old one until the new one arrives?
There is a couple ways to go about this. What I'm guessing is the way with the least down time is if you go to the tom woods website, then go to tj sye rear driveshafts, there's a diagram on how to measure for the double carden driveshaft with the factory setup still installed(I didn't realize this till I had already installed mine).Now the way I did it was on a Saturday I did the sye install then measured and ordered from TW on Monday. Drove with just front driveshaft in 4wd high for the next couple days till it arrived. Thankfully I only live a few minutes from work because it drives awful like that. And no, the factory shaft is not compatible with a sye. (Installed the Core 4x4 adjustable uppers at the same time as sye to get measurement correct.)

Last edited:
I believe Adams told me that if I could give them the measurements before the lift & SYE, they could work out the correct length, but maybe I made that up. If true, you could have it all on hand and not be waiting on parts. I did the lift, then did the SYE, then took measurements and waited on the driveshaft. Your limiting factor will be the time it takes you to do the lift + shipping time on the driveshaft. Normally 3-5 days if you measure after you do all the real work. 1 day if you have the parts on hand. The SYE is truly the point of no return, the old shaft has no way to mount up to the new yoke from the SYE.

But you can totally do the SYE. It seems really complicated because you're opening up a transmission-type thing and there are gears and chains and snap rings, but it's actually REALLY easy. Well, it can be really easy. The lock rings can be a bear if you don't have lock ring pliers. And SOMETIMES there will be a thing you need to press off (can't remember what it is, I didn't have to mess with it). And sometimes you have to cut off part of the rod that sticks out of the housing. But even those things are pretty simple to do. I watched several videos of people doing it, and then I had Bleepin Jeep's video of it on my TV in the garage and just followed along.

Bottom line is take your time. Think about what you're doing before you do it. Take pictures along the way. Be organized. Operate in a reasonably clean environment (especially once the RTV comes out). If you can operate pliers, a tube of goo, and a ratchet, you can absolutely do this. And you'll be overwhelmed with this feeling....not shame...what's the opposite of shame? You'll feel that.

Screenshot_20210721-183544_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210721-183557_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20210721-183837_Chrome.jpg

These pics are from TWs website, this bottom one doesn't seem to finish what is was explaining for some reason though. Not sure if yours has the damper or not but if you have questions about measuring for the driveshaft absolutely give TWs a call and see if they can help. They are known for their amazing customer service.

Reactions: hear
Just noticed you said SS SYE, so you'll need to deal with the speedometer gear. I assume you read about all that as part of you decision to go super short. I kinda wish I had TBH. Oh well.

Here's the video I used extensively.

Around the 15:10 mark is where he has to press the needle bearing out. He says pre-97 231's, so maybe this doesn't ever apply to TJ's, but be aware that it's a possibility.

2) Is there a list of absolutely everything that I will need for this to be done? Including actual parts for the Jeep and tools to get the job done. The only non-stock parts on my Jeep are parts from a 2.5 inch RC lift, so anything other than those parts or stock parts from a 2002 X, I'll need to purchase. I also have pretty much no car tools, just small hand tools that I use for little things here and there.

You'll need some metric sockets/ratchet, and likely a box end wrench in order to get the transfer case unbolted from the transmission. If you don't already have sockets, go get some. You'll need them for the rest of your life anyway.

You'll want a jack to help lower the t-case down from the jeep.

You'll need either a 28mm or 1-1/8" socket...they're pretty similar in size, and I couldn't find a consensus on what size it actually is. I have both, not sure which I used. You'll probably also need a powerful impact (like the Earthquaker) or a breaker bar in order to get that nut free (and tighten it later).

You'll need lock ring pliers. Some say you can get the lock rings off with a couple of screw drivers. I was able to get most off that way, but there was one I just couldn't get. The right tool made it easy.

You'll need a decent sized screwdriver to pry the case halves apart.

You'll need some way to get the old RTV off the case halves. A gasket scraper works great, as does a razor blade or wire wheel on a cordless drill. Just watch where you blow that crap.

You'll need RTV to seal the case halves back up. I used the black The Right Stuff, and it worked great. In my experience, that just means I was lucky.

You MAY need a grinder and a cutting wheel to trim down the shift rod thing (around the 21:00 mark in that video).

You'll need some ATF+4 to pre-lube some parts, and also to fill up the thing when you're done.

You'll need beer to celebrate your dominion over the machines.

You also will need a torque wrench, which you can borrow from the parts store.

Last edited:
There is a couple ways to go about this. What I'm guessing is the way with the least down time is if you go to the tom woods website, then go to tj sye rear driveshafts, there's a diagram on how to measure for the double carden driveshaft with the factory setup still installed(I didn't realize this till I had already installed mine).Now the way I did it was on a Saturday I did the sye install then measured and ordered from TW on Monday. Drove with just front driveshaft in 4wd high for the next couple days till it arrived. Thankfully I only live a few minutes from work because it drives awful like that. And no, the factory shaft is not compatible with a sye. (Installed the Core 4x4 adjustable uppers at the same time as sye to get measurement correct.)
Oh wow, I didnt know there was a place to get the measurements before, thats great. Also, by adjustable uppers you mean adjustable upper control arms, correct? Is that something that I will need to purchase and install with the SYE as well?

Bottom line is take your time. Think about what you're doing before you do it. Take pictures along the way. Be organized. Operate in a reasonably clean environment (especially once the RTV comes out). If you can operate pliers, a tube of goo, and a ratchet, you can absolutely do this. And you'll be overwhelmed with this feeling....not shame...what's the opposite of shame? You'll feel that.
These encouraging words are amazing, thank you!

• Love
I believe Adams told me that if I could give them the measurements before the lift & SYE, they could work out the correct length, but maybe I made that up. If true, you could have it all on hand and not be waiting on parts. I did the lift, then did the SYE, then took measurements and waited on the driveshaft. Your limiting factor will be the time it takes you to do the lift + shipping time on the driveshaft. Normally 3-5 days if you measure after you do all the real work. 1 day if you have the parts on hand. The SYE is truly the point of no return, the old shaft has no way to mount up to the new yoke from the SYE.
If I the lift is already done, is there a way to do measurements after lift but before SYE in order to have SYE and Driveshaft before installing anything?

View attachment 266764View attachment 266765View attachment 266766

These pics are from TWs website, this bottom one doesn't seem to finish what is was explaining for some reason though. Not sure if yours has the damper or not but if you have questions about measuring for the driveshaft absolutely give TWs a call and see if they can help. They are known for their amazing customer service.
With these pics it talks only about standard SYE and says that these measurements do not apply to a super short SYE, which is what I plan on doing. Is there something simliar where I can find the measurements for a SS SYE?

Just noticed you said SS SYE, so you'll need to deal with the speedometer gear. I assume you read about all that as part of you decision to go super short. I kinda wish I had TBH. Oh well.

Here's the video I used extensively.

Around the 15:10 mark is where he has to press the needle bearing out. He says pre-97 231's, so maybe this doesn't ever apply to TJ's, but be aware that it's a possibility.

You'll need some metric sockets/ratchet, and likely a box end wrench in order to get the transfer case unbolted from the transmission. If you don't already have sockets, go get some. You'll need them for the rest of your life anyway.

You'll want a jack to help lower the t-case down from the jeep.

You'll need either a 28mm or 1-1/8" socket...they're pretty similar in size, and I couldn't find a consensus on what size it actually is. I have both, not sure which I used. You'll probably also need a powerful impact (like the Earthquaker) or a breaker bar in order to get that nut free (and tighten it later).

You'll need lock ring pliers. Some say you can get the lock rings off with a couple of screw drivers. I was able to get most off that way, but there was one I just couldn't get. The right tool made it easy.

You'll need a decent sized screwdriver to pry the case halves apart.

You'll need some way to get the old RTV off the case halves. A gasket scraper works great, as does a razor blade or wire wheel on a cordless drill. Just watch where you blow that crap.

You'll need RTV to seal the case halves back up. I used the black The Right Stuff, and it worked great. In my experience, that just means I was lucky.

You MAY need a grinder and a cutting wheel to trim down the shift rod thing (around the 21:00 mark in that video).

You'll need some ATF+4 to pre-lube some parts, and also to fill up the thing when you're done.

You'll need beer to celebrate your dominion over the machines.

You also will need a torque wrench, which you can borrow from the parts store.
Thank you so much for this, very helpful!

Oh wow, I didnt know there was a place to get the measurements before, thats great. Also, by adjustable uppers you mean adjustable upper control arms, correct? Is that something that I will need to purchase and install with the SYE as well?
Yes, you will need rear upper adjustables to rotate your axle up to correct the pinion angle. Pointing the axle input at the transfer case output. I also installed a angled rear track bar bracket from Jks to take the bind out of it.

Reactions: D M
I haven't done any autos, but with the Ax15 or the nsg370 I would say a ratcheting wrench, 9/16 or 14mm, is required to separate the case from the trans. There's not enough room to get a ratchet and socket in there, and there's not enough room to rotate the wrench by more than a few degrees per turn before hitting exhaust, casting, floor, or shifter linkage bracket, depending on which nut youre working on- not enough to turn the nut and then get the wrench back on.

Yes, you will need rear upper adjustables to rotate your axle up to correct the pinion angle. Pointing the axle input at the transfer case output. I also installed a angled rear track bar bracket from Jks to take the bind out of it.
I like how all the kits say they “might be necessary.” After going through all that, there’s no way it’s ever not necessary.

I never even thought about the bind that rotation puts on the track bar. 😩

Okay, so after a couple of posts and a lot of questions, I think I'm at the point where I am seriously considering installing a SYE kit in my driveway, by myself. I do, however, have a lot more questions.

1) Is this realistic to do myself? I'd say my working on cars ability is a 4/10, I can do the basics, just not much more.
3) How long will it take me about? I know it's impossible to say specifically, but looking for something like either a day, 2-3 days, a week, something like that.
4) lastly, absolutely any tips, tricks, obscure (or obvious) knoweldge would be incredibly helpful.
5) just had to edit real quick and ask one more question. Tom Woods driveshaft or Adams driveshaft? They seem to be regarded as the top choices. And the SYE I'm going to go with is the JB Super Short SYE.

Thanks!
Lots of good advice already given.

someone mentioned lock ring pliers, I second that

someone mentioned The Right Stuff 1 minute gasket maker, I second that for the case halves

I didn’t see anyone mention brake cleaner for cleaning the surfaces of the case, always a good idea, it has to be very, very clean (alcohol would work too)

Some people do the SYE while the TCase is under the rig, others remove it. I’ve done both. Whatever you’re more comfortable doing.

You’ll be fine if you have the right tools and are patient. When I got my Jeep in Dec 2016, I had never done more than change the oil a few times. I did a spacer lift and shocks first. Then I did a coil spring lift and shocks again. Then I added a motor mount lift. Later I added a body lift and cable shifter. Along the way I made little repairs to the engine. It’s just building knowledge. People are here to help. After all that I went crazy, 4:1 transfer case, clutch, control arms, SS SYE, Trackbar s, Savvy MUA, GTS, Rock Sliders, you’ll be fine, just be patient and have it all worked out on paper. If you get stuck, just take a break, a solution will come to you, post on the forum if you can’t figure something out, post pics.

Lots of good advice already given.

someone mentioned lock ring pliers, I second that

someone mentioned The Right Stuff 1 minute gasket maker, I second that for the case halves

I didn’t see anyone mention brake cleaner for cleaning the surfaces of the case, always a good idea, it has to be very, very clean (alcohol would work too)

Some people do the SYE while the TCase is under the rig, others remove it. I’ve done both. Whatever you’re more comfortable doing.

You’ll be fine if you have the right tools and are patient. When I got my Jeep in Dec 2016, I had never done more than change the oil a few times. I did a spacer lift and shocks first. Then I did a coil spring lift and shocks again. Then I added a motor mount lift. Later I added a body lift and cable shifter. Along the way I made little repairs to the engine. It’s just building knowledge. People are here to help. After all that I went crazy, 4:1 transfer case, clutch, control arms, SS SYE, Trackbar s, Savvy MUA, GTS, Rock Sliders, you’ll be fine, just be patient and have it all worked out on paper. If you get stuck, just take a break, a solution will come to you, post on the forum if you can’t figure something out, post pics.
Thank you very much!