Stalled, cranked / no start, now no crank either

Don N.

Jeep had rough idle last night, then started sputtering, revving at stop light to keep going, then it died. Would crank, but wouldn't start. Noticed after doing this a few times my gauges read "0". Left it on side of road and went back this morning. Won't crank. Removed battery and took to O'reilly's. Needed charge. Reinstalled battery. Won't crank. Tried replacing my CPS. Still not cranking or starting.

My battery was not dead last night when I left it and I didn't leave my lights on.

Help, please!

Since reinstalling the battery and it not cranking, have you checked to make sure the starter still works?

Since reinstalling the battery and it not cranking, have you checked to make sure the starter still works?
No, but doing so crossed my mind, but I highly doubt there is any way I could have burned it up. Plus my starter is only a few months old. I gave up pretty quick when it would't start. Someone mentioned my voltage regulator on my PCM (I've had it rebuilt before) and another mentioned my ignition switch. My gauges seem to be acting up a little like in the past when my PCM went bad.

No, but doing so crossed my mind, but I highly doubt there is any way I could have burned it up. Plus my starter is only a few months old. I gave up pretty quick when it wouldn't start. Someone mentioned my voltage regulator on my PCM (I've had it rebuilt before) and another mentioned my ignition switch. My gauges seem to be acting up a little like in the past when my PCM went bad.

Yeah makes sense, just something I'd have personally checked since it's easy and can be ruled out.
If none of your gauges work sounds like ignition switch could be suspect, do you get any accessory power at all?
Haven't had to work out a problem like this yet myself, I'm sure others will chime in with more advice.

Reactions: Don N.
Yeah makes sense, just something I'd have personally checked since it's easy and can be ruled out.
If none of your gauges work sounds like ignition switch could be suspect, do you get any accessory power at all?
Haven't had to work out a problem like this yet myself, I'm sure others will chime in with more advice.
Yeah, my radio and such work.

Stick an OBDII engine code reader on it and check for codes.
Did you try the ignition key on/off 3 times to see if a code shows up ?

Didn't have OBD reader. But tried the key turn trick and no luck. It appears my battery somehow ran down. Very strange. Wondering it voltage regulator on PCM being bad can cause battery to run down?

Didn't have OBD reader. But tried the key turn trick and no luck. It appears my battery somehow ran down. Very strange. Wondering it voltage regulator on PCM being bad can cause battery to run down?

A bad alternator can cause that.

A bad alternator can cause that.
Alternator is relatively new. And just checked voltage on my battery...good. i have power to starter. Able to get it to crank but still won't start.

Shouldn't my gauges register something when key is on?...gauge cluster is showing no voltage or fuel when key is on. (I'm pretty sure I had over 1/4 tank fuel when it died on me) Was able to crank by using power probe on my starter.

Alternator is relatively new. And just checked voltage on my battery...good. i have power to starter. Able to get it to crank but still won't start.

Shouldn't my gauges register something when key is on?...gauge cluster is showing no voltage or fuel when key is on. (I'm pretty sure I had over 1/4 tank fuel when it died on me) Was able to crank by using power probe on my starter.

Yes, if your gauges aren't showing anything, that's not good.

Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail or the coil packs to see if they're getting spark?

It's getting power and cranking, but maybe it's not getting fuel or spark.

A nearly dead battery will still show 12 volts on a volt meter. It's what the volt meter shows while the ignition switch is in its Start position that counts.

Reactions: Don N.
A nearly dead battery will still show 12 volts on a volt meter. It's what the volt meter shows while the ignition switch is in its Start position that counts.

Battery has been tested multiple times recently. Apparently my fuel pump is not kicking in when turn ignition key on. Also, the sentry key indicator is on. (But it should still start if bad and run for a bit from what Inunderstand if the sentry keybis bad) My fuel pump works if bypass to it. The relay and fuse are good. Cranking now, just not starting.

Is it possible your sentry key is bad? I'm not sure how often (or if?) they go bad, let alone what happens when a key is bad. I would think if the key was bad, it wouldn't even turn over at all. Maybe Jerry knows.

Battery has been tested multiple times recently. Apparently my fuel pump is not kicking in when turn ignition key on. Also, the sentry key indicator is on. (But it should still start if bad and run for a bit from what Inunderstand if the sentry keybis bad) My fuel pump works if bypass to it. The relay and fuse are good. Cranking now, just not starting.
Try this.... turn the ignition switch on-off-on 10-12 times pausing 2 seconds each time it is in the on position. Then try starting it and see what happens