Stalls when clutch is in and in neutral

Joshua DeWitt

Hi there, I have a manual 2003 TJ that started stalling when my clutch is engaged and is in neutral.

Recently I have been following the brake in procedure for my new ring and pinion, While I was driving the other day My jeep stalled out and lost all power when I would engage the clutch and and keep it in neutral for to long. (when it would stall it would not shake or anything like that it would simply stall, and very cleanly) It would stall every time I came to a stop but would Idol perfectly until it started to move. Earlier that day It drive just fine. I tried to clean the spark plugs and made sure that my intake manifold and throttle body where clean, after I checked those I took it for a drive and it still had that problem.

I have read other forums and threads for people having idling and stalling problems but none of the ones I saw where close enough to my issue.

Im reaching here. I do not know enough about the TJ clutch system. But is there a vacuum assist on the hydraulic clutch.

If not. I would look at the brake vacuum line and see if it might have a leek. ( im assuming you are pressing the brake while also on the clutch) big enough leak will cause a stall.

Again i am reaching here. (Trying to connect the clutch with a stall) Stranger things happen.

Since you cleaned the spark plugs and it starts you got fire. Maybe it's a partially clogged fuel filter or fuel pump going bad.

I hope its has nothing to do with the clutch because its brand new along with the master and slave cylinders. I will have to look into the drake inline idea but I don't see any fluid coming from the jeep except water from my AC.

I will change out the fuel filter and injectors this weekend, does anyone have any suggestion on injectors?
Also how how I check if my fuel pump is going bad?

I would look at all stalling problems at idle. Don't pidgeon hole yourself into it has to do with the clutch.

Because it stalls at idle. I highly doubt it would be the fuel pump or injector. If it stalls while driving or ah high RPM. I could see the fuel pump.
You use more fuel at speed then stoped at idle.

I would look at the idle control valve. And clean it. Also when you pulled the plugs did you check the gap?

In some vehicles there's a way to test your fuel pump by turning the key in the ignition forward but not all the way and in doing so you will here a noise and that's your fuel pump coming on. Was thinking is your battery light coming on? Could be a week battery or alternator. You can test those with ohm meter. Or whatever that thing is called. Could be your distributor going out. When the distributor was going out on my minivan it stalled randomly. How old is your jeep?

I will change out the fuel filter and injectors this weekend, does anyone have any suggestion on injectors?
Also how how I check if my fuel pump is going bad?

Well the filter is internal to the pump and that works in conjunction with a fuel sock on the bottom of the pump so there is no filter to replace unless you plan on dropping the tank. I would probably start by checking your fuel pressure and if you do not have a test port on the fuel rail you'll have to source a test setup.

I d
Well the filter is internal to the pump and that works in conjunction with a fuel sock on the bottom of the pump so there is no filter to replace unless you plan on dropping the tank. I would probably start by checking your fuel pressure and if you do not have a test port on the fuel rail you'll have to source a test setup.
I do have a test valve so I will get a tester and do that! Thanks I’ll let you know the results.

Any ideas why it would only stall when coming to a stop but idle fine when it re starts?
That doesn't sound that uncommon. (Might be for a jeep) but im sure others have had the same problems. Mostly I have found it to be an EGR valve. But jeep tj use the "ICV"idle control valve. I would clean the heck out of it. When you engine goes from a high load (driving) to idle it might not be able to handle the change. When you restart it is at idle and doesn't need to react as fast.

If you are not getting enough pressure out of the fuel pump you will have problems at high load also. You use more fuel while driving then at idle. So i wouldn't worry about the fuel pump.

Your pump should be maintaining +/- 49 PSI if all is well.
I just checked the fuel pressure, with the key on run with out the engine running it was at 29 and with the engine running 48 ish but after idle for a while it hovered around 40/45. Is that normal or something I should be considered with?

That doesn't sound that uncommon. (Might be for a jeep) but im sure others have had the same problems. Mostly I have found it to be an EGR valve. But jeep tj use the "ICV"idle control valve. I would clean the heck out of it. When you engine goes from a high load (driving) to idle it might not be able to handle the change. When you restart it is at idle and doesn't need to react as fast.

If you are not getting enough pressure out of the fuel pump you will have problems at high load also. You use more fuel while driving then at idle. So i wouldn't worry about the fuel pump.
I will look up where that is located and how to clean it and make it look like new and we will see if that works! Thanks