Standard Protocol for "Lifted" JK's?

jeep_boss

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
What is with the gaudy, lifted JK/JKU drivers running their high beams and enormous light bars during the day?

I passed two of these monstrosities in different places yesterday - one on an NF road and the other on a backroad. It was sunny and bright outside, I turned on my lights to see if they even had an effect, and they didn't.

Are thse guys are just d-bags or what?

I have yet to see any of them running their high beams or light bars (though I see plenty with light bars) in town.

No idea why you'd be running them during the day though. Must be a d-bag thing like you mentioned.

Don't even get me started on how stupid light bars look and how much I hate them. No friggin' clue who started the light bar fad, but I want to find them and punch them in the face.

Reactions: jeep_boss
I have yet to see any of them running their high beams or light bars (though I see plenty with light bars) in town.

No idea why you'd be running them during the day though. Must be a d-bag thing like you mentioned.

Don't even get me started on how stupid light bars look and how much I hate them. No friggin' clue who started the light bar fad, but I want to find them and punch them in the face.
Man, you have no idea how incredibly pissed off I was passing by these idiots! The first one was on a sketchy part of Mountain Loop Highway (unpaved one lane NF road) - I wound up cutting all the way over to the edge of the road with a 200' drop off to let this jerk go by. It was either that or get my retinas burned out, he had two light bars on full blast and his high beams. He was obviously showing off at the expense of blinding other drivers :(

I'm surprised their JKUs (I'm assuming they are JKUs) fit on some of of those tight passes / trails. Then again, I don't know what the trails look like, so how would I know?

I've decided that while I certainly can appreciate a nicely done up JK, I absolutely hate 9 out of 10 JK drivers.

I'm surprised their JKUs (I'm assuming they are JKUs) fit on some of of those tight passes / trails. Then again, I don't know what the trails look like, so how would I know?

I've decided that while I certainly can appreciate a nicely done up JK, I absolutely hate 9 out of 10 JK drivers.
That particular road is popular in the summer months, it can get pretty dangerous when thousands of beer drinking idiots go out there to camp on weekends (or when you're blinded by a hundred Cree LEDs). The road isn't wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other in most areas, and a JKU would certainly not be my vehicle of choice out there!
391CE58F-6282-4556-BA00-5F70F8DD2107.png

Reactions: Chris
That particular road is popular in the summer months, it can get pretty dangerous when thousands of beer drinking idiots go out there to camp on weekends (or when you're blinded by a hundred Cree LEDs). The road isn't wide enough for two vehicles to pass each other in most areas, and a JKU would certainly not be my vehicle of choice out there!
View attachment 36983
I almost checked out this exact run this past weekend. Are you up in this area often? There is supposed to be some Ice Caves somewhere over in there that would be cool to check out.

Reactions: jeep_boss and Chris
I’ll be honest with you guys. If I had $100 bills coming out of my ass, and could afford a lifted JKU, I’d be running LED light bars ALL over that thing. With them all turned on.

Hellz Yes I would :D

When I go into the city, I actually see JK/JKU’s all over the place. With the majority of them lifted.

Lifted or not, 90% of them do have LED light bars. And I have yet to see them turned on.

I’m also assuming they are even hooked up.

Reactions: StG58 and jeep_boss
That wouldn't fly on this coast. Instant ticket around here. I got a ticket last week for driving in the left lane on a highway. I was following a car that was behind the police car. There was no one in the right lane, we were all just cruising. Next thing I know the PO pulls onto the left shoulder, we move over to the right lane. He pulls out behind us and lights me up. No points but $141 gone, I am still pissed!!

Reactions: jeep_boss and Chris
I almost checked out this exact run this past weekend. Are you up in this area often? There is supposed to be some Ice Caves somewhere over in there that would be cool to check out.
The ice caves are awesome in the summer time! It's a short (1 mile) hike from the parking lot to the caves, and when it's warm the caves shoot out cold air like a massive air conditioner. I don't think I have ever hiked to them in the winter time though, but the road is closed at the pass - so I think you have to there from the Verlot side on Mountain Loop Highway.

I rolled up that way yesterday from the Darrington side. There's a handful of NF roads and unmarked trails to wheel on off of MLH. There are a couple of trails in particular that I have been dying to check out, but I was solo and didn't want to go without a second vehicle to winch to just in case.

I also went out towards Sulphur Creek campground late yesterday - hoping to get a view of Glacier Mountain (subsequently the most dangerous active stratavolcano on the weat coast) before it for completely dark out. This was the first time I had been out that way - after the first 2 miles, there were no other vehicles on the road, which I consoder a win! The road ends at the remote campground ~23 miles from the turn off from SR530. It's not a great wheeing road, lot's of potholes and some washboard stretches, but there are numerous side roads that I want to explore soon. I got withon 3 miles of the end of the road / campground, and I was greeted by a tree in the road:

7433C8C1-139F-489D-B2B4-605342CC9E29.jpeg

I wasn't up to wheeling over it being out there on my own that night, I was super tired and even though I had my little gas powered Stihl chainsaw - it would have been pitch dark by the timr I cleared the road.

One other crazy weird thing that happened on that road - I pulled over ~10 miles in and stopped to take a leak. I could hear a woman's voice talking, but it was really faint and I couldn't make out anything that she was saying. I tend to increase my OPSEC awareness when I'm out there deep like that on my own (tweakers, shady rednecks, big felines, etc), but her tone of voice seemed upbeat and it didn't at all sound like she was anything that I should be concerned with.

I drove another 100 yards and then I come across this sign:

315A5D5A-EA7A-4679-808C-1967DEB0443A.jpeg

That gave me a little shiver!

Anyways, if you or anyone else in WA wants to roll out that way let me know! I have another week or two of free time and I'm usually game for weekends as well. I would like to hike out to Kennedy Hot Springs off the PCT near Glacier Peak - that area is epic from what I have been told, I would probably just want to do a day hike out there for the first trip, but I have some serious ultralight camping gear as well for a longer outing that I need to plan in that region!

The road ends at the remote campground ~23 miles from the turn off from SR530.
We were also down SR530 over the weekend, probably even waved to each other and didn't even know it! Lol. We went to the Outback Kangaroo Farm down there, ever been?. Cool place to take a kid to see some different animals and have a fun time.

I'de love to check out some trails or backcountry roads over there sometime. I would be up for a little excursion sometime, so much safer with 2 Jeeps. I just installed my winch yesterday too!

We were also down SR530 over the weekend, probably even waved to each other and didn't even know it! Lol. We went to the Outback Kangaroo Farm down there, ever been?. Cool place to take a kid to see some different animals and have a fun time.

I'de love to check out some trails or backcountry roads over there sometime. I would be up for a little excursion sometime, so much safer with 2 Jeeps. I just installed my winch yesterday too!
Oh nice!!! Double nice, actually with the new winch! I know exactly where the Kangaroo farm is too.. never had time to stop by there, we're typically late getting up to that area from Seattle.

I know a bunch of NF roads and trails. You're out in Camano now, right?

Reactions: EJD
Oh nice!!! Double nice, actually with the new winch! I know exactly where the Kangaroo farm is too.. never had time to stop by there, we're typically late getting up to that area from Seattle.

I know a bunch of NF roads and trails. You're out in Camano now, right?
Yup, i'm liking it over here so far!