Star Trek

Star Trek was classic 60's sci-fi. Star Wars was classic 70s/80s sci-fi. My opinion is there is no comparison between the two because of that.

I see it more a TOS being a western in space. Like most space sci-fi of that time.

I don't see Star Wars as being classic anything, really. Everything Lucas wrote was taken from The Joseph Campbell library or the Opus archives. Classic mythology, actually. Just rewritten with a space theme. Pretty well documented in that regard.

I see it more a TOS being a western in space. Like most space sci-fi of that time.

I don't see Star Wars as being classic anything, really. Everything Lucas wrote was taken from The Joseph Campbell library or the Opus archives. Classic mythology, actually. Just rewritten with a space theme. Pretty well documented in that regard.
Well classic in the sense of what you're seeing on the screens, not diving too deep into this but more as a typical consumer of entertainment.

Reactions: Jramos013 and ejay

I understand what you mean, in fact theres very little that is actually new, it applies to both start trek and star wars. Take all the plot from your favorite mideval story and add a space craft, if the story is good, ill work out. Or take star wars and start trek ,replace the space ships with wooden ships and adventures in far away lands instead of galaxies. The essence of both is very human, if it happend on space or earth, with aliens or humans, doesnt matter. Reality is way stranger than sci-fy

In all honesty i think Battlestar Galactica is better than both of them combined, the newer version.

Last edited:
I understand what you mean, in fact theres very little that is actually new, it applies to both start trek and star wars. Take all the plot from your favorite mideval story and add a space craft, if the story is good, ill work out. Or take star wars and start trek ,replace the space ships with wooden ships and adventures in far away lands instead of galaxies. The essence of both is very human, if it happend on space or earth, with aliens or humans, doesnt matter. Reality is way stranger than sci-fy

In all honesty i think Battlestar Galactica is better than both of them combined, the newer version.

Very true. I had the chance to meet and speak to Joe Menosky on numerous occasions. Right next to the Campbell library and Opus archives in Santa Barbara at Pacifica Graduate Institute, actually. He took a lot of mythology and used it in the many many scripts he wrote for the various Star Trek series. You're right...nothing is new.

Star Wars will always be better than Star Trek
Star Wars had the production money/technology to support it but the story line has always seemed to be written by a 5 year old.
Star Trek was a much better story but obviously didn’t have the same budget/tech. FYI, I’m not a fan of either, just have been forced to watch some.

(This exclude Mandelorian, that is actually great)

I enjoy both Star Trek and Star Wars, but I'll be the first to admit that I'm not a very sophisticated movie/TV content consumer. As long as it has lots of stuff blowing up, I'm good.

I saw Star Wars in the movie theater when I was 10. It went over my head. Never saw any of the other Star Wars movies

I never watched the original Star Trek series.

I have The first 5 Star Wars movies and all three seasons of the original Star Trek series on my NAS. One of these days I’ll get around to watching them. But based on what little I’ve seen as I was putting them on my NAS I think Star Trek is much better. Star Wars is all special effects with the story and plot being an afterthought. Star Trek looks like a B movie that has a story and plot. But damn, William Shatner has always turned me cold.

Reactions: DWR
I saw Star Wars in the movie theater when I was 10. It went over my head. Never saw any of the other Star Wars movies

I never watched the original Star Trek series.

I have The first 5 Star Wars movies and all three seasons of the original Star Trek series on my NAS. One of these days I’ll get around to watching them. But based on what little I’ve seen as I was putting them on my NAS I think Star Trek is much better. Star Wars is all special effects with the story and plot being an afterthought. Star Trek looks like a B movie that has a story and plot. But damn, William Shatner has always turned me cold.

EXACTLY my thoughts and point!!! Thank you!

William Shatner has always turned me cold.

1585250429542.png

• Haha
Reactions: Squatch
I'm not really a big Star Trek fan, but Riker Googling is my absolute favorite Twitter account.

(That's not saying a lot, given how much of an effing cesspool Twitter is, but Riker Googling is funny as hell and worth a read.)

Both had the potential to be so much more than what they became.

I have a love/hate relationship with them both. That said, Wrath of Khan is one of the best sci-fi movies ever made.