Start up rattle

Gigglebutton

When I start My TJ first thing in the morning, It makes a rattling sound for a second, them goes away for the rest of the day.
Doesn't do it every morning, maybe 4 out of 7 days.
Do these have a hydraulic chain tensioner or something similar that may be sticking?
Cheers

Reactions: Sierra96
This is normal. Shit, I've never seen a TJ that didn't do this. I was skeptical at first, but I spoke with @mrblaine about this and he convinced me that adding some marvel mystery oil took care of this start up ticking for good on his rigs.

Maybe he'll chime in.

Reactions: Sierra96
Oil pump drive assembly.
Depending on WHEN the engine was assemble will prove as to wether it MAY be susceptible to this design flaw. Goggle it. There are a ton of write up about this crap put out by jeep- or what the hell ever company they were serving at the time.

I think it can be anything. I would check for noise coming from the OPDA area, and if it is coming from that area I'd get on that stat!

Doesn't a Google search show this forums results?

Among many others. I just tried to consolidate all the info to one thread. On other forums there's threads 50+ pages long with the info littered throughout it because the thread has been going since 2008 or so ever since the problem first came about.

I just want you to know that it's "normal" and very common for a manual tranny LJ/TJ to rattle @ idle.

Engage the clutch and it goes away, on mine at least. Same for every other TJ/LJ with a manual that I've been in.

Reactions: Stinger
I just want you to know that it's "normal" and very common for a manual tranny LJ/TJ to rattle @ idle.

Engage the clutch and it goes away, on mine at least. Same for every other TJ/LJ with a manual that I've been in.
So did mine.