Started painting my Jeep and it looks like a carnival ride or a bass boat (Keep going or buy another paint?)

Vtx531

TJ Addict
So I'll be painting my entire Jeep soon...I ordered some silver metallic paint from Summit Racing. I started spraying some of it today on my new fenders and it is very sparkly.

This is a hilarious thing to happen because I never liked factory metallic paint and I was thinking about going with a solid color (gray) but I decided to do metallic silver to keep it looking original. And now I ended up with the biggest metallic flake paint that I have ever seen and it does not look original AT ALL.

My camera must not be able to capture the sparkles realistically. It actually looks very even and nice in person if sparkles is what I was going for. As a good thing, it seems to hide imperfections really well.

C05854A8-E0FE-44D9-A5CF-DB6848F1B197.jpeg

838EB364-B758-4AB1-9E5D-BC9294D996CF.jpeg

375C342A-AFB5-47EF-869D-CBD17911738F.jpeg

716399A2-0696-47A3-A029-B786FDA9B42A.jpeg

96AEDFD3-2CB5-4491-A5A7-A8BD659D7B03.jpeg

Last edited:
I’ve done a little painting and I agree with what I’ve read. Metallics can be hard to match and require proper, consistent technic. Some paints require a clear coat for proper appearance. At least if you’ve only painted the backside with that paint perhaps you can get a better match and practice with remaining mismatch.

Reactions: JMT and Vtx531
I forgot to say that the entire Jeep is getting painted.

At a previous attempt years ago of painting some of the Jeep - I had a hard time / failure of getting specific color- matched matallic silver to actually match and was getting tiger stripes and unevenness. This paint actually came out amazingly even which surprised me and the flake seems really easy to get consistent.

I'm just not so sure about the look! Still can't get the ipad camera to take a realistic photo, it makes the sparkles look pixelated and doesn't really show the gloss. Frustrating.

8D09E6AD-56C6-4F68-A9E0-553AE2634578.jpeg

475FE2CD-A2EA-45DA-8E74-51ECE93D987D.jpeg

I painted a CJ5 years ago, wanted a metalic blue, the shop was cold and I ended up with a metallic tiger stripes

Yea, that's not a good feeling and one of the reasons that I don't really like metallic (along with future repairs, etc) but that gloss gray that is so popular lately just doesn't look good. Maybe I should just do a color change to red, can't go wrong with red! ha or white is nice and clean. But my Jeep is meant to be silver.

I think my tiger stripes were due to poor lighting and lack of knowing anything about what I was doing.

Yea, that's not a good feeling and one of the reasons that I don't really like metallic (along with future repairs, etc) but that gloss gray that is so popular lately just doesn't look good. Maybe I should just do a color change to red, can't go wrong with red! ha or white is nice and clean. But my Jeep is meant to be silver.

I think my tiger stripes were due to poor lighting and lack of knowing anything about what I was doing.

I agree that's WAY too much metallic . STOP and regroup , Get a Non metallic silver and reshoot, if you don't you will be pissed off EVERY time you walk up to your TJ. Your laying down a nice coat ! It just needs to be the correct finish.

Reactions: Vtx531
Looks like it lays down nice. Is it a single stage, because, that brand in a different color could be nice

Ya, its a single stage. The instructions said that a clear is recommended with this color because of the flake but I wasnt planning on doing clear for the inner fenders and I wantes to see how it laid without clear. Seems like some clear and a rubout would help the reflection. Then again, som light orange peel might look better for my amateur body work.

Looks nice when not in direct sunlight. (Just after sunset here).

Neighbor thinks I need to get the paint code matched for me to be happy and not have regrets. I think if I keep it then I might have to do black wheels and headlight rings and blow up my stock oem look plan for a slight restomod look.

20220827_204727.jpg

20220827_204720.jpg

I like metallics because from a distance they do better at showing the various curves and body lines...admittedly less important on a boxy TJ but I still like the look.

The photos don't look bad to me but as you say they're not capturing it and only you can really judge. If it's laying out consistently I'd tend to roll with it.

i think metallics have to be sprayed 1 direction so it all lays the same, not back and forth.