Started the Hurricane Flares Install!

Coastiehog

TJ Enthusiast
So I installed 2 so far lol.....getting the old ones off is a pain!! Love the kit so far and now I am not too worried about the 1.5" spacers going on!
20170909_170128.jpg
20170909_170125.jpg
20170909_170133.jpg

Definitely a different spin on flares. Not sure what to think of them.
I think they could have left the pockets out because I already picture water sitting in the pockets and in the winter freezing in there.

As for the install, everything lined up great and the included turn signal extension parts do the job and allow you to have a clean finish. I did add some small black zip ties to ensure the wire loom doesn't fall off somehow, but the loom is very rigid and probably wouldn't go anywhere.

Looks good! I'm not sure I like the pockets on the flares, but other than that, I like them. They're perfectly flush with the wheels too!

Reactions: Van and Coastiehog
Looks good! I'm not sure I like the pockets on the flares, but other than that, I like them. They're perfectly flush with the wheels too!
Yeah, the pockets might be the biggest con. They are flush for now lol....once I get the time to get my 1.5" spacers on they definitely won't be, but won't be too bad since these covered the amount sticking out from stock flares.
This is before.....
20170819_143429.jpg

Yeah, the pockets might be the biggest con. They are flush for now lol....once I get the time to get my 1.5" spacers on they definitely won't be, but won't be too bad since these covered the amount sticking out from stock flares.
This is before.....
View attachment 21868

Once upon a time my wheels stuck out further than my flares. Never again I tell you... NEVER! After experiencing how much crap it kicked up even just driving around city roads, I put them back to flush. I'd clean my Jeep and an hour later it would be dirty all over the fender flares and everything.

Reactions: Coastiehog
Once upon a time my wheels stuck out further than my flares. Never again I tell you... NEVER! After experiencing how much crap it kicked up even just driving around city roads, I put them back to flush. I'd clean my Jeep and an hour later it would be dirty all over the fender flares and everything.
Oh, I know man....it does suck! I am sure the spacers won't stay on there forever, but I like the look lol. It is hard to keep anything clean here anyway so I will fit right in haha.

Reactions: Chris
Mine stick out a couple of inches and don't have problems flinging stuff everywhere. Probably due to its pretty dry around here.

Mine stick out a couple of inches and don't have problems flinging stuff everywhere. Probably due to its pretty dry around here.
Average of 90" of rain annually here keeps us the opposite.....mix that with volcanic ash all over the island....concrete like mixture lol.

When I pull the other 2 flares I will add a pic of what is under there. I had to wipe off the excess and then apply bug and tar remover 2 or 3 times to get MOST of the rest....it is a pain in the butt!

When I transfer from here to a more cooperative climate I will get a lot deeper into cleaning the under carriage and getting rid of all that stuff. Will take a lot of time I am sure.

Hey what did you do about the rear fender, forward lower screws? Mine didn't thread into anything the clip had fallen off but there's no way to get your had in there since it's welded all around. I think it's the forward most lower screw but it might be like the second one up.

Those look so cool.

I think you are right...it is the bottom one, but that should have been one of the rivet style nuts. My kit came with a bag of those...I assume to replace the others if they came out. I didn't have that issue on the passenger side today, and I hop I don't on the other side.

Did yours not come with those parts?

I have stock fenders i replaced them and couldn't screw that lower one in. So it's a rivet that goes in? And I'm going to replace mine with hurricanes maybe this spring.
Oh, I got ya.

If you want, PM me your address and when I get through my last two I can send a few of those pieces your way?

I guess my jeep was missing those when I got it. So what holds them in? Do you need one of those rivet gun things? God I feel stupid now. I used JB weld to fill the holes and threaded it into jb weld once the epoxy dried. Ehh i could drill it out easily.

I guess my jeep was missing those when I got it. So what holds them in? Do you need one of those rivet gun things?
The hex part should lock them in place and I would think you can tap them into the panel with a hammer.....carefully of course. I am not sure how they go in at the factory.

If they seem too loose, I would think there is an epoxy or JB weld that would help.

That's got to be it. Up here, everything is the exact opposite, wet all the time!

One thing that I already want to do is get rid of that stupid part behind the front flare :confundio:

I have looked at rocker panels and some sliders, but torn on which option to go with.

Reactions: Tj04
Get sliders. Ditch the middle flare!!!! I'm poor so I got smittybilt sliders with the welded on tube step. They were the XRC ones I think. and I'm happy with them. They've hit rocks hard and are fine. Do note when you pull that middle flare way more dirt gets flung against or in the jeep

Edit: i didn't se you have the step already so you wouldn't want the ones with tubs welded on. Can't imagine that makes sense.

Get sliders. Ditch the middle flare!!!! I'm poor so I got smittybilt sliders with the welded on tube step. They were the XRC ones I think. and I'm happy with them. They've hit rocks hard and are fine.

I have been eying these...
E-Autogrilles 51-0021 Black Rock Guard (97-06 Jeep Wrangler TJ Textured Off Road s with Step) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00X0K8FC2/?tag=wranglerorg-20

Of course I have to pay another $100 for shipping :(