Starter problem troubleshooting

mark aldridge

If I could get a little advice regarding my jeep not starting, I would be appreciative. I've performed the steps here:
https://wranglertjforum.com/threads/jeep-wrangler-tj-wont-start-read-this.1201/
(Thanks!), and want to confirm the analysis of the results.

1. 2005 Wrangler X (4.0) will not start. Dash lights turn on. ODBII says 12.4V at the port. Meter shows 12.4V at battery terminals. Jeep will not start with a jump starter. The engine does not turn over. Clutch override fuse is in.
2. ODBII says 12.0V when key is in start position.
3. Meter shows 12.3V at the starter positive terminal. 12.0V when key is in start position.
4. Meter shows 12.3V for the ground on the starter body. 12.0V when key is in start position.
5. Meter shows 11.7V to the ignition terminal when the key is in start position. Minor mVolts when key is not in start.

My thoughts:
I'm thinking a bad solenoid or a bad starter.

Other:
A bad relay would not supply power to the ignition terminal, correct?
I don't understand why the ignition terminal is 11.7V and not higher, but this is a clear signal, so the starter should actuate, I would think.

What do you think? What have I missed?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Have you noticed a change in the starting leading up to the no-start? Sometimes there’s a “dead spot” that will be intermittent. Does it click once or make any noise?

A few tricks to try.. turn key from “on” to “crank/start” as fast as you can.. 5-7 times. Occasionally this will push bendix past a bad spot if there is one. Another trick everyone knows, is lightly tap the starter multiple times while someone is trying to start it.

If you have signal at the starter activation wire (small one) when you crank to start, and the above tricks don’t help, then the starter is bad.

Reactions: mark aldridge
To answer my post, my analysis was correct. Replaced the starter yesterday, and the jeep starts better than ever. Total repair time was < 30 minutes. Easy.

Take the old starter and rip it appart. If you have been off roading it may just be packed with mud and a good cleaning will get you a spare.

There must have been a time
when we could have said no.

Just had the same problem.Battery was fine as well as headlights. When I googled it I found a great guy who was checking a friends jeep with the same symptoms. It was also a 2000 tj like mine. Glad I did .He had step by step with a 12 volt probe to eliminate the starter problem. I did the same and found it to be the starter. He also said to his friend it was not the actuator pin problem which he had just changed.Glad I say the video. I just changed the starter out and now it works fine.

I had the same problem. Everything checked out good. It turned out to be dirty battery connections.

Next time for the readers who has a good battery but has this symptoms, get a screw driver & a rubber mallet hammer and insert/leave your key in the "ON" position.
Go down under and tap the starter lightly, then short circuit the two poles. The car will start and then go drive and buy a new started.

Next time for the readers who has a good battery but has this symptoms, get a screw driver & a rubber mallet hammer and insert/leave your key in the "ON" position.
Go down under and tap the starter lightly, then short circuit the two poles. The car will start and then go drive and buy a new started.
Only on an automatic transmission, a manual will need a helper or disable the clutch safety mechanism