Starter won't disengage

Chrisazm

2005 wrangler 4.0. I just replaced the spark plugs now the starter won’t disengage. The engine starts fine but the starter keeps running. If I turn the key off then restart about every 4th time the starter will stop once the engine starts. The starter is about 1 year old. Suggestions?

It could easily be a sticking relay. I would swap the Starter Motor Relay in the PDC with a like one and see if that fixes it.

Edit: PDC = Power distribution Center. It's under the hood on the passenger side. There should be a lable on the cover that identifies all the relays.

It could be the starter and it could also be the ignition switch. If you wiggle the key does it change things? I've never heard of the starter relay sticking but I guess that could be it too. If the starter solenoid is sticking you should be able to take it apart and clean it out, starters are all pretty serviceable from what I've found. I don't think it is related to the plugs.

As @pagrey said, the relays rarely stick, but it's the fastest thing to verify good, if not it's either the starter, starter solenoid or the ignition switch.

Reactions: pagrey
It could easily be a sticking relay. I would swap the Starter Motor Relay in the PDC with a like one and see if that fixes it.

Edit: PDC = Power distribution Center. It's under the hood on the passenger side. There should be a lable on the cover that identifies all the relays.
Can you recommend a safe relay to swap with? I don’t want to cause other problems.

I tested the relay by swapping the horn relay. Didn’t help. My bet is the solenoid is sticking. Cheap DB starter bought on Amazon one year ago. Can’t seem to find just the solenoid so I’m going to replace the entire starter with a Bosch starter. Will update after new starter installed.

Reactions: CodaMan
I tested the relay by swapping the horn relay. Didn’t help. My bet is the solenoid is sticking. Cheap DB starter bought on Amazon one year ago. Can’t seem to find just the solenoid so I’m going to replace the entire starter with a Bosch starter. Will update after new starter installed.
The starter solenoid is mounted on the starter body. it's the smaller round can on top.

1593288061176.png