Starting issues with 2001 TJ

CAJeepGirlinFL

Supporting Member
Last week my TJ had a tough time turning over. I had a slow crank before it finally turned. Drove to a friend’s house and shortly after tried to start it but it won’t start.

Checked the battery voltage and cleaned the terminals. Voltage was good but my reader said bad alternator. Changed the alternator. Nothing. Changed the Clutch Safety Switch (or whatever the official nomenclature for it). Nothing. Checked the starter voltage - it’s at 12.5 but still won’t crank.

Fuel gauge on dashboard goes up when I turn the key. The one thing I notice is when I try and turn the key to start, the radio turns off. Maybe unrelated but thought I’d throw it out there.

The only thing I have not checked is the ignition actuator pin and switch as well as fuel pump. Is there anything else I could be missing to check?

Any advice, feedback, or guidance is appreciated

Can you hear the pump prime when you turn the key to "on" but don't try starting it? Also, when my actuator pin broke and the key was turned there was no reaction (no lights and no sounds).

So since the all the dashboard lights turn on and I hear beeping sound because my door is open, the issue wouldn’t be the actuator pin then, right?

So since the all the dashboard lights turn on and I hear beeping sound because my door is open, the issue wouldn’t be the actuator pin then, right?
Not in my experience but your situation may be different. It's easy enough to check. There are utube videos showing how to change it out if it is broken.

you need to take your battery in and have it load tested. engine slowly turning over sure sounds like a weak battery, or starter getting weak and on its way out. do you know how old the battery is ?

An alternator has really nothing to do with starting issues, only for charging once engine is running. Start first by making sure your battery terminals are sparkling clean and tightened. Even though your battery voltage shows 12.5V, it still can be faulty and not have enough cranking power to start the engine. You need the battery load tested and if it checks out good, my high suspicion in your case is a bad starter. Remove and take both battery and starter to a local parts store to have them load tested.

FYI- the starter may be held on by 2 torx bolts which requires an E12 size external torx socket.

Last edited:
Reactions: tr21triton