Starts cold but not any other time

mattyb

Hey Guys,
New to the forum, but have been following it for years. I am hoping one of you experienced Jeepers have some insight that could help me. I have a 2006 Sport - Within the past 6 months i've had to replaced: starter, radiator, fuel pump, and battery.
The most recent replacement was the fuel pump, about 4 weeks ago. Before i replaced the starter and fuel pump, i was having issues actually starting the engine. Meaning it would crank and crank but never turnover and fully start. First i replaced the starter which worked normal for about 2 weeks then had the same problems as before. Determined it was a bad fuel pump. Replaced that and everything was working great for 2 weeks. Then out of no where i start having the same symptoms as before. I thought that the starter might be defective or something because i could tap the starter with a mallet and it would turn on, but it stopped responding to that after a week. I went to Advanced Auto for them to test it, and it tested just fine. Right now, the jeep will start with ease when the engine is cold. But if i turn the engine off and try and restart it, engine just cranks and cranks with no turnover.
Last night i tried jump starting it. Engine started up just fine. Turned it off and again...it just cranked and cranks, with no turnover. I also checked the codes on the dash but the odometer just reads "done". So that wasn't much help.

With all that said, any suggestions? Any tests i should try and run? I'd say i'm a novice when it comes to this stuff but have tried to learn alot as i replace parts, but still have limited knowledge. I really don't want to take it to a shop because...well, money. But i'm beginning to lose hope and think i just need to bite the bullet and take good ol "Chuck" in to see the doctor. Thank you for any help! #jeepwave

Last edited:
Hmmm let’s see I’ll give you my 2 cents on what I would do. First check battery voltage. If battery is fine I would check if it’s getting spark. If it’s getting spark I would move onto that starter. I know you said they tested the starter and it was good but the starter still might be a problem especially if it’s rebuilt.

Do you have clean fitting tight battery cables? Check your ground cable, opposite end from the battery. Bad grounds can make a computerized vehicle act kooky, and cause failure of ecm.

I have also seen battery cables corroded on the inside, all the way down the cable under the insulation, and they appeared fine from the outside. Consider replacing the battery cables if problems persist.

Thank you for the suggestions guys! I'll give them a try this weekend and keep you guys posted incase anyone else experiences the same issues. I suspect that it's something with the battery, whether it's cables, connections or something like that. I'm able to actually get it started once a day. Yesterday i tried in the morning and it turned on. Turned it off then tried again and got nothing (just cranks). After work, i tried to start it again and it didn't do anything (just cranks)....but then i put the car in 4WD Low (just for shits and giggles) and it started right up. Turned it off, and tried again - nothing...just crank crank crank, no turnover. So strange!

I had a similar issue with my Toyota Camry this past weekend. My daily driver lol
I drive it everyday to school I got home from school tried to start it and it wouldn’t start very strange this car has been reliable to me. I came back maybe 4 5 hours later it started right up turned it off and it didn’t start. Hit the starter and it started. I replaced the starter and it’s all good now. My battery was fine I had power.