Static Balancing???

jeepndogs

TJ Enthusiast
Anyone have to static balance their tires do to the design of your rims? I just picked up some Dx4 7s wheels and had three different places try to mount and balance 3 different sets of tires. Two sets of 33x12.50 15 STT Pros and one set of Wrangler MTRs. They all said the back of the wheel spoke is too far away from the outer edge and it was calling for a ton of weight.

The last place Static balanced them and they hardly took any weight, one only took .25oz.

Not sure how I feel about the whole static balancing thing.

Thoughts?

They all balanced out. 3.75 is the most weight any of them took. It drives good, just wondering if I will have issues gettingbthrm balanced down the line if they can't dynamic balance theses wheels.

The static balance, also called the bubble balance, used to be the way of balancing tires. The dynamic spin balance came about later and all the major tires stores use it. If none of the shops you visited could do a dynamic balance on them now, getting them balanced later on will be a problem. The smaller shops are more likely to have a static balancer. But, the static balancer is easy to get from Amazon and you could balance them yourself. You'll need weights that fit either a steel or alloy wheel and you can get those on Amazon as well. I have one and have used it with good success, but I find that if I'm not meticulous about getting the tire balanced to the best of what the static balancer can do, it won't be completely vibration free. Balancing tires takes a little technique, but it's not difficult. Here's a link below to a static balancer on Amazon and a YouTube video that shows how to use it.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MG1LR12/?tag=wranglerorg-20

They were actually spun and balanced on a Hunter 9000 road force machine. When they spin balance they can tell the machine to dynamic balance them which places the weight on both sides of the rims (or with aluminum wheels they can place them behind the spokes on the inside) or they set it to static and it will place the weights in the center of the rim.

Dynamic accounts for lateral and radial runout and static spin balancing mainly accounts for lateral runout.

As of right now the jeep drives down the road great, just concerned what may happen after some wear. Maybe I'm stressed out over nothing.

They were actually spun and balanced on a Hunter 9000 road force machine. When they spin balance they can tell the machine to dynamic balance them which places the weight on both sides of the rims (or with aluminum wheels they can place them behind the spokes on the inside) or they set it to static and it will place the weights in the center of the rim.

Dynamic accounts for lateral and radial runout and static spin balancing mainly accounts for lateral runout.

As of right now the jeep drives down the road great, just concerned what may happen after some wear. Maybe I'm stressed out over nothing.
Enjoy your vibe free TJ.

Reactions: bobthetj03