TJ Fest 2021
Join us in Moab, Utah from 4/24/2021 to 5/1/2021 for the first annual TJ Fest 2021. Click here for more information.

Stay at home orders in KS

Ericict

I don't proofread for your enjoyment.
Supporting Member
Our county has a form on their website for reporting people who are not following the stay at home orders. They county will send LEO to your house to investigate if needed. Is this being done in any other locations? It bothers me that we have neighbors reporting neighbors. Do you have issues with it?

TJTJ04

Wouldn't work in Texas. People coming in from Louisiana were requested to go online and report where they had been and self quarantine for 14 days.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
No reporting in this state. Very few here are following the mandate.
Same here. The order here in Oregon is called "shelter-in-place", but nowhere do they say you can't leave the house.

Things like that are done all the time......in communist countries.
Yep, which is what I feel some may want to turn this country into.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Also, I highly doubt that's being enforced.

How does a cop determine if you are leaving your house to go to the grocery store or not?

Also, you don't have to let a cop in your house either unless he has a search warrant.

In addition, cops are enforcers of the law, not detectives (unless it's an actual detective).

It sounds like this is blown out of proportion. I'm not saying you're making this up, but have you actually seen anyone with cops at their house?

You have certain freedoms, and the governor of your state can't take them away. If you want to go outside and walk, run, exercise, or hangout, you're more than welcome to without fear of being arrested.

As long as you aren't having huge parties, hanging out in big groups, or showing blatant disregard, no cop is going to bother you for that.

OP
Ericict

Ericict

Supporting Member
Also, I highly doubt that's being enforced.

How does a cop determine if you are leaving your house to go to the grocery store or not?

Also, you don't have to let a cop in your house either unless he has a search warrant.

In addition, cops are enforcers of the law, not detectives (unless it's an actual detective).

It sounds like this is blown out of proportion. I'm not saying you're making this up, but have you actually seen anyone with cops at their house?

You have certain freedoms, and the governor of your state can't take them away. If you want to go outside and walk, run, exercise, or hangout, you're more than welcome to without fear of being arrested.

As long as you aren't having huge parties, hanging out in big groups, or showing blatant disregard, no cop is going to bother you for that.
Here is the website to report neighbors and it is being used. Currently I’m being told they are only informing, but have the latitude to enforce. Our gov just wrote a new EO because of a scheduled protest to increase enforcement.

You are correct about freedoms, and the new EO does address that. It states under no circumstances may you gather for any reason with more then 10 people. So much for the 1A and peaceful assemble of the people to petition the gov. It’s not the cops job to determine if a law is broken, that’s what the court is for.

Last edited:

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Here is the website to report neighbors and it is being used. Currently I’m being told they are only informing, but have the latitude to enforce. Our gov just wrote a new EO because of a scheduled protest to increase enforcement.

You are correct about freedoms, and the new EO does address that. It states under no circumstances may you gather for any reason with more then 10 people. So much for the 1A and peaceful assemble of the people to petition the gov. It’s not the cops job to determine if a law is broken, that’s what the court is for.
I'd gather anyways, let them arrest me, then file a lawsuit against the governor for violation of my constitutional rights. This is a huge overreach of law enforcement and politicians in every way imaginable.

Reactions: Ericict

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
I'd gather anyways, let them arrest me, then file a lawsuit against the governor for violation of my constitutional rights. This is a huge overreach of law enforcement and politicians in every way imaginable.
And the state will defend the lawsuit, successfully in my opinion, by demonstrating that the executive order is narrowly tailored to prevent the spread of a highly contagious potentially lethal disease which, again in my opinion, easily meets the required level of ‘compelling state interest’ satisfying constitutional scrutiny, and you along with your lawsuit will be shown the door.

Wake up people, the laws of the United States, irrespective of their origin, are not absolute, there are always exceptions and yes that includes even for our most sacred ‘inalienable’ rights; just ask the guy that wanted to open up a ‘Ballistic Missiles R-Us’ kiosk at the mall.

Oh, & while you’re at it, don’t confuse the headline you will probably see at some point - “John Q. Dickface just filed suit in Federal Court seeking 89 million dollars for violating his constitutional rights because he wasn’t allowed to sit in Popeyes & eat his spicy chicken sandwich” with John Q. Dickface being successful in that venture. People ask all the time “can I sue for….”, well of fucking course you can sue, but don’t you really want to know if you can successfully sue? Most of the time the answer is no.

OP
Ericict

Ericict

Supporting Member
Agreed you can sue but doesn’t mean you will win. Based on past posts it seems you are educated in some way around this field. My issue with this, is she has removed the right for people to peacefully assemble to petition the gov. Are there any case studies and or case to review for what most see as an attack on the 1A?

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
Blah... in that case, I'll just keep going about my life. If they fine me, so be it.

Still, I look forward to the courts being jammed up after all of this :LOL:

Westtown Willy

TJ Addict
Supporting Member
Agreed you can sue but doesn’t mean you will win. Based on past posts it seems you are educated in some way around this field. My issue with this, is she has removed the right for people to peacefully assemble to petition the gov. Are there any case studies and or case to review for what most see as an attack on the 1A?
Yes, there are 200+ years of case studies contained in the Supreme Court Reporter, this is where all decisions of the Supreme Court are found & bound in a volume of books, & at 13k what a bargain :LOL::

https://store.legal.thomsonreuters....preme-Court-Reporter-Bound-Volume/p/100029435

you can also read many of them online:

https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/slipopinion/19

And to be clear, yes, what’s going on in the United States right now is infringing on our constitutional rights, that’s not really the issue because again, those rights are not absolute meaning the government may infringe those rights under certain circumstances provided that they do so within the rules that permit ‘infringement’ so to speak, that’s what I mentioned in my prior comment. The real question again is are these infringements actionable, in other words, have they gone over the line to the point where a given citizen or group of citizens has been damaged due to an infringement that doesn’t meet the criteria I cited above (narrowly tailored/compelling state interest). This is where the trouble starts because people believe that the moment their rights are limited in any way they automatically ‘win’ a lawsuit if it were to be filed. Not so. It’s no different than the person that falls down in the supermarket parking lot and believes the store is automatically responsible for his injuries. Again, not so. To put it in its simplest terms both of those scenarios leave out the required legal analysis of breach and causation of damages.

I don’t pretend to know where all this is going, factually, and what things will be obvious to us two years from now that today are very oblique. What I do know is that we are in an emergency situation of sorts and the government will be given some latitude in its orders provided they can demonstrate that the real-time evidence they had at the time of the Order was rational and otherwise in good faith, even if it turns out that this disease only has a .05% mortality rate when all the dust settles. There will be no shortage of Monday morning quarterbacks wagging their fingers & criticizing the government regardless of how this thing pans out.

Blah... in that case, I'll just keep going about my life. If they fine me, so be it.

Still, I look forward to the courts being jammed up after all of this :LOL:
I tend to agree with you there, people will file suits because that’s what people do. Maybe one or more will be successful on the merits, it’s hard to say, but it will depend entirely on the facts specific to that given case.

Chris

Administrator
Staff Member
I tend to agree with you there, people will file suits because that’s what people do. Maybe one or more will be successful on the merits, it’s hard to say, but it will depend entirely on the facts specific to that given case.
I have to imagine that with all of them that are filed, some people will end up winning. Of course their claims may be different than others, and who knows how some of these law enforcement agencies (or states) acted in comparison to others.

Either way, I think you and I can both agree that there are going to be A LOT of lawsuits once the courts open back up. How many of them are won remains to be seen, but I'm expecting to be reading a lot of about all of them on the news :LOL: