Stay safe in Australia

4 banger TJ

TJ Enthusiast
Reactions: Maso and 01CuHed
Definitely some scary stuff going on there. Hoping all the Australia folks are staying safe.

1578335806957.png

Look its been shit since before Christmas. We have drought combined with massive forest fuel loads caused by little of the traditional back burning, caused of Green politically leaning Councils and National Parks locking out everyone, you've have had a disaster just waiting to happen. We've also had a few really hot 47deg days - 115F which is like living in an oven.

I'm in Sydney's suburbs so no fire issues as such, but the sky has been orange for weeks on end and the air has been gritty causing many respiratory issues for people.

Before Christmas we went to relatives in the country and a major Freeway was blocked the night before we went and the night before we arrived home. Think orange fog all day meaning you're stuck in the house with the air on.

Relatives in different arts of the country have had cars packed ready to leave, others have had to retreat to beaches after being told all roads out of town where not safe to travel upon at the height of the problem.

Poor Firefighters, I know of one guy who hasn't worked since mid November as its all voluntary (although the government has now said it will come to the party). There's also the issue of farmers asking for ammunition as they've run out, having to put down their sheep and cattle because of injuries sustained.

Yep, there's going to be some backlash over this. The 'climate change' answer to everything hopefully won't wash this time.

We had similar mismanagement issues here in California too. We had some big fires the last few years. One ran me out of the house for a couple days because the smoke was so bad. It was only a couple miles up the road.

hopefully you get some rain down there soon to help.

I read an article that said 85 % of the fires were started by people on purpose or accident. And that 37% were arson cases with around 200 people arrested so far for deliberately starting fires. Is that true?

The news here can be hit and miss. They seem to be more worried about the climate change angle and the kangaroos then providing actual information.

Reactions: Chris
I read an article that said 85 % of the fires were started by people on purpose or accident.
The "megafire" that has been ongoing was apparently caused by lighting. Some of the others are definitely suspicious and if not, accidental.

Those arrested range from arson through to discarding a cigarette and disobeying fire ban laws in place at that period. Some areas that have been listed as burnt are spots that I've been to and are very familiar either on a mountain bike or the Jeep. Those areas are definitely to me, lit by sick puppies as per the way they are located.

The news is hit and miss. Usual sellable agendas become priorities for eyeballs and ratings/clicks.

https://ktla.com/2020/01/07/police-...ntentionally-starting-bushfires-in-australia/

Read in the local shite scratch of a media outlet in Los Angeles that there have been a few dozen arrests of mostly kids for intentionally or by neglect, setting a host of these fires. Just to source the above.

No offense intended, but I've heard that Australian teens can be a real handful; even by American standards. (Believe me, hard to grasp. I've got stories as I used to work University Law Enforcement) Never thought it would come to this, though.

https://ktla.com/2020/01/07/police-...ntentionally-starting-bushfires-in-australia/

Read in the local shite scratch of a media outlet in Los Angeles that there have been a few dozen arrests of mostly kids for intentionally or by neglect, setting a host of these fires. Just to source the above.

No offense intended, but I've heard that Australian teens can be a real handful; even by American standards. (Believe me, hard to grasp. I've got stories as I used to work University Law Enforcement) Never thought it would come to this, though.
I don't know the official numbers in terms of juveniles as opposed to adults. Schools are in their summer break (6 weeks) and I guess arsonists get bored too...I can't really comment.

In terms of how much crap they get into, it depends on a myriad of factors which would probably be the same issues over there be it socio-economic or the fact they're just inclined to do so. That is a subject that may get a bit umm, yeah...

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris