Steel or Aluminum?

Steel is heavier, worse damage if wheelin and a rock hits it, more prone to rust

For the road only steel is fine, but if you go off-road, you’d want an alloy

Reactions: StG58
Steel is heavier, worse damage if wheelin and a rock hits it, more prone to rust

For the road only steel is fine, but if you go off-road, you’d want an alloy
Whereas steel wheels will bend upon impact, while alloy wheels will break, not bend.

Reactions: billiebob
Honestly i would prefer steel for off road. Aluminum wheels will break and steel will bend. I can at least limp home with a bent wheel. And since this is for your kiddo, I would get the wheel that can take more abuse. Thats just how i look at it.

Reactions: Lucas M and Blank
My point exactly. Knowing my lack of driving experience as a 'kiddo', I would have gone through several alloy wheels...my vote in this case is for steel at the lower cost.

How many people on here have experience breaking an alloy wheel?

Just curious. Usually while wheelin I’m going slow, the impacts are brushes on the side of the rim. They scratch the alloy but would bend steel, possibly causing loss of bead if it grabbed the lip!?

Still curious about anyone breaking an alloy rim?

The OP’s son would probably be fine with either if light wheelin is all that’s involved

Reactions: JeepNWilly
We actually had a crack in an alloy wheel from a 1996 Mustang. We had a hard time isolating the event that caused it, but we think it was while my wife was driving the car in High School waving at some guys and drove over the edge of a curb/median. She hit it pretty hard and the crack was in the center of the wheel. It took years for the crack to actually split open so that air was being lost. Had it welded back up and good as new. Moral of the story...don't wave at guys while wheelin' at high speed. That won't apply to most of you on here, so don't wave at girls while wheelin' at high speed!

I destroyed a alloy on a rental car that i had. hit a curb trying to avoid someone who couldnt manage to stay in their lane. $450 later, i dont hink ill ever get alloy wheels. but thats just me. It could also be the fact that they were "low profile" tires. Not sure either way, it was a gross hyundai veloster that i was glad to be out of.

My 2006 TJ has had Alloy wheels since I upgraded from the OEM Wheels back in 2006 I have yet to crack them. I have done everything from water, mud to rocks you can find here in the east from South Florida to WindRock TN plus obstacle course in shows like Jeep Beach. Have had my front up in the air bumping over an obstacle at JeepBeach no issues with them at all.

Here is my fron't up in the air after a hard bump climbing over the concrete steps

8697577544_27ce9d3498_b.jpg

My 2006 TJ has had Alloy wheels since I upgraded from the OEM Wheels back in 2006 I have yet to crack them. I have done everything from water, mud to rocks you can find here in the east from South Florida to WindRock TN plus obstacle course in shows like Jeep Beach. Have had my front up in the air bumping over an obstacle at JeepBeach no issues with them at all.

Here is my fron't up in the air after a hard bump climbing over the concrete steps

View attachment 26187
Nice rig!

I seem to recall reading a lot of dialog on a thread in the forum where @Jerry Bransford offered sage advice based on his experiences with running steel wheels for years, but switching to alloys without regret. (My apologies to Mr. Bransford if I am mistaken in this...). Anyway, I cannot recall which thread that might be, but it was a helluva good read. @Chris? Know which one it is, by any chance?

Reactions: JMT