Steering Advice

wings727

Greetings everyone! First post here, but been browsing awhile, and have already found lots of helpful info and advice all over.

I bought my first Wrangler (2000 4.0) about a month ago and have been trying to fix as many things on it myself as I can. It came to me with some steering problems I'd like some advice on. There's some bump steer I'm fighting as well as just generally sloppy/loose and floaty steering. There's also a bit of a deadzone when turning right but turning left is very sensitive.

I read some other threads on the subject and first looked at setting my toe-in and adjusting my tire pressure. I couldn't break loose the stock tierod, so instead of forcing it and risking bending it, I went ahead and swapped it out for the rugged ridge tierod and tierod ends. When doing so, I think I have my toe-in pretty close to what it should be. I also let some air out of my tires going down from 33PSI to about 28PSI. I think this helped, but there are still issues.

What else should I be looking at? I see my Draglink grease boot is busted. Can I replace just the boot or should I consider replacing the entire drag link?

Other info: the previous owner has it set up on what looks like 3 inch coil spacers on stock springs, with 33in tires. My goal is to remove the coil spacers and install 2in suspension lift all around. (feel free to throw out some recommendations on that too!!)... Will that change any of my steering components? Should I do the 2in suspension lift before messing with any other steering components?

20200905_144644.jpg

20200905_144710.jpg

20200905_144726.jpg

20200905_144746.jpg

What symptom are you having that you're describing as bump steer? I don't see a geometry issue that would cause that, the very slightly lower position of the driver's side double-shear track bar mount isn't enough of a drop to cause bump steer.

If the road is straight and smooth/even pavement, the jeep will drive straight, but any dip or bump in the road and I'm suddenly all over the place.

What you described is definitely bump steer As above the only visual thing I see that could possibly have anything to do with that is the slightly lower-than-factory driver's side track bar mount. But sheesh its driver's side mounting position is not so much lower than stock that I'd expect a dramatic effect like bump steer.

Get yourself a helper and with the tires on the ground, have him/her do quick left/right 10-2 o'clock repetitive turns of the steering wheel while you watch the steering system for unwanted side-to-side slop/movement between where components are bolted together. Is the Pitman arm moving in sync with the steering wheel without a bunch of slop? Look at the tie rod ends, side-ways movements of the track bar (other than very minor movement allowed by a rubber bushing). Slop on the drag link connections? Look for loose connections caused by loose fasteners, worn bushings, etc.

Reactions: Goatman
Get the blame dropped pitman arm off the TJ if it is one..if not , the post below is the solution. Same issue in reverse.

Last edited:
Looks like you have a relocated track bar at the frame mount, and a stock pitman arm. Get rid of that and put a JKS or Currie TB on and you should get your angles back to normal.

Reactions: AndyG
When I bought my Jeep it had a weird axle bracket for the TB and it had bump steer. It wasn't all over road when I hit bumps, it just went straight and the steering wheel move to the right and then back straight. @wings727 what do you mean by "all over the road?" It sounds to me you have toe out. Have you measured toe?

Thanks for all the help! I actually didn't know the track bar mount was aftermarket and not factory setup. It looks like it is this kit: https://www.extremeterrain.com/roughcountry-forged-rear-tj-4-6-1052-manu-install.html.

I looked at the JKS options and looks like they require some drilling modification and other mods if running less than 3inch lift. Since, I'm aiming for future setup of 2in lift I'm leaning towards this: https://www.extremeterrain.com/rough-country-adjustable-track-tj-7572.html#

Any thoughts, would this work for me and help address some of my problems? I should mention that I'll probably never do any crazy wheeling, just some light off road trail riding.

@Brianj5600, I think I have my toe in pretty close. It might not be perfect, but it should be close.

You need to have the steering setup right. Dead nutz centered steering wheel and your toe has to be set to about 1/8" toe in. Do as Jerry said. All the joints must be tight. Any slop, replace them. Upgrade to the ZJ steering setup if you are getting new. Bad control arm bushings can screw with your steering too, but that is not gonna cause bumpsteer. Again, get all your steering parts set right. Steering wheel must be perfect for the steering box to track tightly. As said, a bit of toe out will make you wander all over the place. Check wheel bearings and ball joints if still wandering after you get the steering set right.

Hey everyone, sorry for not reporting in sooner, but just logged on and wanted to update you all that the new trackbar made a huge improvement in reducing my bumpsteer problems. Thanks everyone!!! 😁