What size are the steering box bolts?

m1gu3l

The previous owner of my TJ installed a tow bar and I decided to take it off due to weight and looks plus it was getting rusty. To make the long story short, the steering box uses three bolts, one of them is completely missing the head and the other two were in horrible shape and they need to be replaced as they are rusty and too long. Does anybody know what size bolts I need to get? I tried Homedepot and Ace but I can't seem to find the right size.

jeepbolt.jpg

The previous owner of my TJ installed a tow bar and I decided to take it off due to weight and looks plus it was getting rusty. To make the long story short, the steering box uses three bolts, one of them is completely missing the head and the other two were in horrible shape and they need to be replaced as they are rusty and too long. Does anybody know what size bolts I need to get? I tried Homedepot and Ace but I can't seem to find the right size.

View attachment 105290
Measure the length on yours in the picture as that is the stock one and then use that to find a grade 8 7/16-14 of the same length to the end of the threads, not the end of the bolt. You need to be mindful of the unthreaded shank length. If you buy a bolt that is the same length, the unthreaded portion will likely bottom out on the threads before the head gets tight against the bolt sleeve.

The only way they would be too long is if they cut down the bolt sleeve quite a bit. Do they stick out of the frame by about 3/8-1/2"?

Measure the length on yours in the picture as that is the stock one and then use that to find a grade 8 7/16-14 of the same length to the end of the threads, not the end of the bolt. You need to be mindful of the unthreaded shank length. If you buy a bolt that is the same length, the unthreaded portion will likely bottom out on the threads before the head gets tight against the bolt sleeve.

The only way they would be too long is if they cut down the bolt sleeve quite a bit. Do they stick out of the frame by about 3/8-1/2"?

Yes, they do stick out about 3/8 out of the frame, my guess is that they were not the original bolts, or they were so rusted that the thread was busted and they weren't going far enough. Also I wasn't aware they originally they came with the end unthreaded, I thought they had damaged the thread by forcing them in.

I know this is a dead thread but it popped up first on google, for anyone who wants to know the threads from factory stick out about 3/8 from the frame where they mount. I tried to torque them to 70lb-ft and snapped 1 bolt that kept slipping the torque so be careful.