Steering feels like it drifts

ghadoulis

I have a 98 tj with a new BDS 4 1/2 lift. Steering is just not right. Jeep drifts from left to right.like driving on ice. There are 2 steering g stabilizers to control the bump steer. What else is needed to keep it going down the highway straight.

I have a 98 tj with a new BDS 4 1/2 lift. Steering is just not right. Jeep drifts from left to right.like driving on ice.
Posting pictures of your steering components may help diagnose your issue.
There are 2 steering g stabilizers to control the bump steer.
Two steering stabilizer "kits" are a gimmick and a band aid at best.
What else is needed to keep it going down the highway straight.
proper steering geometry and components in good condition

Definitely going to need to post some pictures for help, but what you are describing sounds like you don't have enough caster. Do you have stock control arms? If so, you'll want to turn them so the eccentric washers have the thick part pointed forward. This will effectively lengthen your lower arms and roll the axle back a few degrees providing increased caster.

True bump steer is caused solely by bad steering geometry which is caused by having installed something that screwed up the geometry like a dropped Pitman arm or a dropped track bar mount. It's neither cured nor even helped by installing a new or additional steering damper/stabilizer.

First, did you install a dropped Pitman arm or a dropped track bar mount? Next, did you adjust your toe-in after installing the suspension lift? Suspension lifts affect the toe-in so it needs to be readjusted after they're installed. It's probably not from a caster issue, that size suspension lift isn't likely to have decreased the caster angle. Plus bigger tires don't require as much caster angle as smaller tires do so I really doubt it's your caster angle that's causing the problem.

This shows the difference between the factory Pitman arm and a dropped Pitman arm.

Pitman arms.jpg

I have a 98 tj with a new BDS 4 1/2 lift. Steering is just not right. Jeep drifts from left to right.like driving on ice. There are 2 steering g stabilizers to control the bump steer. What else is needed to keep it going down the highway straight.
which part # lift? We need a picture from the front of the steering and trackbar mounts.

You need the factory pitman arm,trackbar in factory mounts,correct toe in and caster of at least 5*. 6-7* would be better.

Get rid of the double damper setup and put a non gas charged damper in.gas charged dampers can push the steering over.

If you haven't already you need an sye and double cardan rear shaft in the rear

which part # lift? We need a picture from the front of the steering and trackbar mounts.

You need the factory pitman arm,trackbar in factory mounts,correct toe in and caster of at least 5*. 6-7* would be better.

Get rid of the double damper setup and put a non gas charged damper in.gas charged dampers can push the steering over.

If you haven't already you need an sye and double cardan rear shaft in the rear

BDS Suspension# 1047H

Definitely going to need to post some pictures for help, but what you are describing sounds like you don't have enough caster. Do you have stock control arms? If so, you'll want to turn them so the eccentric washers have the thick part pointed forward. This will effectively lengthen your lower arms and roll the axle back a few degrees providing increased caster.

front end.jpg

rear pic of front end.jpg

484091F7-6B41-4359-A950-539D4D3509CC.jpeg

That doesn’t look like the stock track bar Mount location. To me, but I could be wrong. Just doesn’t look like mine, which I’m confident is stock.

It looks like it’s raised up higher to me.

I can’t tell if that’s a drop pitman arm either.

My TJ has 4” Currie Lift and 35” BFG’s, and I don’t have 2 Fox High End stabilizers, not even 1. Whew, those look expensive, and two is 1 too many in my opinion.

Quality post.

It's been mentioned before, but try a drive without the steering stabilizers and see what that difference makes.

It looks like your brake lines are WAY too long, you may want to correct those before they get tangled up in something.

I Left SE Florida a couple years ago, but did my own work on Jeeps... I know there is a Jeep club in the Ft Lauderdale area, and they have a facebook page... they could help with mechanic recommendations.

Better pics would help. We need to see underneath the bumper. All the connections there are important. Something is wonky.